SimonT - 1/35 Zvezda Stug.IIIB - Bobs StugGB

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Still checking - just to muddy the waters all the books (Uwe Feist Ryton Publication, Spielberger, Achtung Panzer 5, Polish Wydawnictwo Militaria 006) have different dimensions for overall length, width, height, none of the plans match and they can't even agree on the basic shape of the superstructure!

Nightmare

Studying photos of what purport to be Stug B's does however seem to indicate a considerable clearance from the top of the return rollers to the underside of the track guards and hence top side of the tracks to track guards

Surgery is looking increasingly likely

Checking against the hull of a Gunze Sangyo Stug G also shows a 2mm difference in height, the GS being deeper

Day off work today so shall try and come to a decision - to hack or not to hack, that is the question.......

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
At least you can probably reliably measure heights in photos taken from ground level, which may help you work out where the problem is if you can compare to some known measurements, like the diameter of the wheels (though ideally you’d want something bigger than that, but I suppose it’s unlikely to find a dimension as reliable as that, which you can also measure in a photo).

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Agreed Jakko - photos look like being key.

Not the first time I have had this kind of problem - hope to come to some kind of conclusion and make a bit of progress later.......

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
As promised.......

Once I'd decided to slice the hull it took about quarter of an hour to go from full hull to sliced hull to rebuilt hull

The join was then liberally spread with Squadron green and left to set for a few hours before sanding down

Had to cut some custom shapes from an emery board so that I could sand around the return wheel mounts

stugb-023_2019-12-21.jpg

stugb-024_2019-12-21.jpg

stugb-022_2019-12-21.jpg

stugb-025_2019-12-21.jpg

stugb-021_2019-12-21.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Woah, that's gutsy!

And such a clean cut too. Did you use some kind of razor saw?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks Rick - end result not too bad

Hi Andy - my favourite JLC razor saw. I use it for all parts removal from the sprues and anything else involving cutting. Etched blades remove a wafer thin sliver of plastic and are mega sharp - cut plastic, aluminium, brass, fingers etc

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Simon. I've looked at one of those but wasn't sure how useful it would be. Sounds like very!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Well I use mine practically every day for part removal - much prefer it to side cutters as it gives a very clean finish without distortion or pressure on the part so even very fragile bits can be safely removed

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nice slicing up Mr T :smiling4:

Thanks Simon. I've looked at one of those but wasn't sure how useful it would be. Sounds like very!

I can only second how useful the JLC razor saw is, especially for really fine fragile part removal.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Once I'd decided to slice the hull it took about quarter of an hour to go from full hull to sliced hull to rebuilt hull
Tricky to do on a one-piece hull, but looks like it came out very well.

They are. I’ve got one I use when I need to make fine cuts, and am very glad I have it :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, Simon, this will look far better, how thick were those sections, 2 mm ?
Most impressive but not surprised in the least :nerd:
Busy packing mine up this morning !

As to the JLC saw , possible the best modelling tool anyone could have, certainly grateful that you mentioned it to me back in " the other house "

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Most neat slicing. You recommended the JLC saw to me as well and it is a very useful tool which sees a lot of use.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si, Jakko, John, Jim - thanks all

I went with a 1.5mm lift in the end - may not be 100% correct but given all the conflicting info and the variations from measuring off different photos I took that as an average. Hopefully it will look ok in the end.

The slicing was a bit wonky if you look closely - had to be above the return roller mounts and below the mounting holes. The wonkiness doesn’t matter though as the saw removes such little material both halves of the cut match up almost perfectly

I would certainly not want to be without my JLC

John, somewhere you mentioned the Perma-Grit needle files. If you buy them make sure to get the fine grit.
I have had the original set for some years and the medium/course grit versions are rather too aggressive for plastic so haven’t had much use.
Have just got the new fine set and think they will be better

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I did Simon, thank you, if very lucky might get them for my Birthday !

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat surgery and repair work Simon:thumb2:.
Thanks for the tip of the sanding block, think I'll be looking for one of those too.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cannot fault the effort, work and skill Mr T. Superb!!