Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning all,

This Revell 1/72 Tiger II will be my entry for the Little Armour GB

tig-001_2018-12-30.jpg
box top

tig-002_2018-12-30.jpg
comes with a hefty instruction booklet although I don't tend to follow them very often

tig-003_2018-12-30.jpg
tig-004_2018-12-30.jpg
tig-005_2018-12-30.jpg
tig-006_2018-12-30.jpg

tig-007_2018-12-30.jpg
I have a turned barrel in the stash, an end of line bought for a couple of quid, which has just been waiting for such a project

I have plenty of reference books so I am sure that I will be able to make a few improvements to the basic kit along the way

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Right Simon, Good choice the Henschel turreted Tiger ll is one of my favs. Happy New Year pardner. I'll just pull up a chair and watch this one unfold.
Cheers, Rick H.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice choice Simon I’m sure you will do your magic and turn this thing into something incredible. Happy New Years also

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in please Simon.
" I will be able to make a few improvements to the basic kit " really, an under statement if I ever read one:hugging-face::smiling::smiling::smiling:.
No doubt there will be pewter , the odd 100 rivets, along with hatches complete with hinges .
I look fwd to this with relish .
John .

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Mr T,
Interested to see where you go with this. At least some of the tools are not moulded on....although I’m expecting you to remake them all:thinking:
I’m currently making Revells 72nd Tiger 1...shaved all the tools off, replaced the barrel and been adding a PE zimmerit set....gotta remake the tools and cables next:surprised:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have plenty of reference books so I am sure that I will be able to make a few improvements to the basic kit along the way
You do surprise me. Fancy you not building OOB :smiling4:
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wouldn't that be a novel idea! Happy New Year Gents.
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
JR said it all:smiling3::smiling2::smiling: Apprentice bodger seat pulled up with notebook in hand. Good luck:thumb2::cool:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thank you all for turning up :thumb2:

Are you sitting comfortably, then we shall begin......

Firstly, what have I done? Tiger II's are a minefield of features and changes depending on which month the things were built

So without any clear direction other than getting something Tiger looking I have started with a few general bits and pieces

tig-016_2019-1-2.jpg
a pot full of bits

tig-012_2019-1-2.jpg
the holes in the rear of the final drive housings were filled and sanded

tig-011_2019-1-2.jpg
as you can see - if this is not done then the holes protrude past the hull and are visible

tig-013_2019-1-2.jpg
basic turret parts assembled

tig-009_2019-1-2.jpg
tig-010_2019-1-2.jpg
the turned gun barrel added - unfortunately the maker did not allow extra length for fitting into the mantlet so I ended up drilling the end of the barrel so I could pin it and extend the length with tubing

the mantlet was then drilled out to accept the tubing - this will give a stronger joint than just tacking the barrel with glue to the mantlet end

new ballistic bolts added to the barrel retaining ring - these should really be cross drilled and lock wired

tig-008_2019-1-2.jpg
the tall forward grille covers are moulded solid so I made up some new ones from etch mesh

according to the plans in Achtung Panzer 6 the grilles are too short (and in fact do not cover the grille) so I made mine to match the plans

this will cause problems with the turret though as it only just cleared the kit version so something is off slightly

tig-014_2019-1-2.jpg
tig-015_2019-1-2.jpg
made the circular grille covers as well

That is as far as I got

Back to work today - I should actually be getting ready rather than writing this so gotta go......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Simon, looking good so far. Yes, lock wire on the ballistic bolts is something that always bothered me too.
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ah the joys of going back to work. Back to snails pace like the rest of us. It was a joy to watch your burst of creativity over the festive period.

Well this is certainly going to be a Mr T classic. Are you using a specific point of reference or whatever you see fit as far as the upgrades go.

P.S I hit the like button as well:tongue-out3::smiling5::smiling3:

J

John Cole

Happy New Year Simon. Ah, lovely. Another view of your high class structure with your own modifications. Like everyone, a sit and observe enjoyment of you. Great. :smiling3::thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great looking updates to the base kit Simon, like the others looking on what can be done to this one.:thumb2::smiling:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rick - if you don't use lock wire your nuts will fall off and you wouldn't want that :anguished:

Steve - :thumb2: yes, slow as a slow thing again. References, see below

John - and to you. Thanks for dropping in

Fernando - cheers

tig-019_2019-1-5.jpg
my main reference - gives info on what feature was implemented or removed and when and has scale plans which seem to agree pretty much with the dimensions of the Revell kit

tig-017_2019-1-5.jpg
if the plans in this one are actually 1/35 then the Revell kit is nowhere near as they are rather different to the Achtung Panzer ones

tig-021_2019-1-5.jpg
lots of info for modelling and detailing 1/35 Tigers in this one

tig-018_2019-1-5.jpg
not much on Tiger II

tig-020_2019-1-5.jpg
walk around pictures of preserved Tiger II

I also have a Meng 1/35 kit which may be handy for details

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great ref. material. The modelers guide is particularly helpful in my opinion. You can't go wrong with this lot.
Cheers, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Looks like you are up to you're usual tricks :thumb2: References can be a mixed bag - can create order or chaos :sad: Sometimes false info in one book can find itself quoted in another and after that it kinda spreads.
Jim

D

Deleted member 5819

Great work as usual Simon but I think you need more reference books :tongue-out2:.
Keep up the good work.
Pete

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rick, Jim, Pete - :thumb2:

I do like a book or two :smiling:

As Jim says, there is conflicting information between books, the worst being the plans. The Culver & Feist book doesn't have a scale bar on any of the drawings and they are quite different to the ones in Achtung Panzer 6 (AP6) which isn't very helpful tig-023_2019-1-6.jpg
removed the moulded on tools from the hull top

Marked the hull sides in preparation for adding the side skirt mounts - you can just see the pencil marks

tig-022_2019-1-6.jpg
made the grille covers for the rear of the engine deck

the kit has the late ventilator armoured cover but the earlier grille covers so I sliced it off and replaced with the earlier type of vent cover with open mesh

I want to add zimmerit so that combination of grille covers and vent should place it in the right time frame for zim according to AP6

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Looking good. I presume that you will be making your own zimm. Interesting to see which method, from the many available, that you choose. I imagine zimm is harder to do at braille scale?
Jim