SimonT - Hobbyboss 1/16 Tiger I (AAGB)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck Simon. Those track links alone look like they'll be fun.

ATB

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There only seems to be one link type and they are asymmetrical which means one track will effectively be on backwards compared to the other side - need to check that out when I find my tiger books
That is correct: most Tigers used the same links on both sides but obviously reversed in direction. Initially two types of links were made, one for the left and one for the right, but this was soon dropped in favour of asymmetry, using the original left-hand track for both sides. More info here.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
You don't realise just how big things are at 1/16 scale especially if you choose a huge tank to start with. Interesting about the tracks.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Even you can't loose one of those track links LOL

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mr. T, so you will be buying your paint for this critter in quart sized tins?:smiling5:
Cheers, Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si - bet that full R/C version emptied the bank account nicely :surprised:

Andrew - at least they are easy to see

Jakko - thanks. Found my reference books and there were apparently three different types. Initially a symmetrical link that fitted either side (I think it said they were later used as the narrow transport tracks), then the mirrored left and right type. The separate left and right ones meant they had to have spares of each type just in case so that was why they dropped that in favour of the single type with one side reversed. According to one reference for a short time some had all lefts and some all rights which would actually have been just as bad for spares. It appears they were later all fitted with right links with the left side reversed

Jim - it's a fair old size at around half a metre when built

Steve - certainly won't get lost in the carpet pile

Rick - hadn't thought about that. A small Tamiya pot won't go far......

Jakko - at least it will be easier at this scale if I do

tig-029_2019-10-3.jpg
well, I now have a box of links with all the holes filled

they now need sanding back and the flash removing

it looks like the guide teeth should have holes through them - missing on the kit parts

tig-028_2019-10-3.jpg
the track pins are also incorrect - just straight bits of rod with no head on the end

also means there are no locking collars

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh bother, It appears even this large cat is going to give you difficulty. I suppose it won't be easy to ignore the significant sins of a kit this large...you will probably notice them from a meter away. If I am any judge of character, I have no doubt they will all be sorted by the time you are through with this monster! Let the games begin:thumb2:
Cheers, Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Rick - I suppose that’s what happens when one pays £60 instead of £500 for the Tamiya version :smiling5:

You are right about the size - everything will be very noticeable

I suspect there are going to be loads of things wrong with it

Looking in my books it seems Tigers are a nightmare at the best of times - this bit appeared in ‘43 or March ‘44 or that bit appeared for a week or another bit only on certain regiments machines etc etc

What have I done? :tongue-out3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning,
Yes, that did empty my bank account! I think I worked 4 weekends in a row and wanted a treat after all that graft! Back in the days before I had my own family to finance:tired:

I did a 1/72 earlier this year and I’m in the final stages of a 1/35 Tamiya tiger and used info from David Byrden’s site...tiger1.info cross referenced with info from “The modellers guide to Tiger tanks” which I think you have?

Historically accurate Tigers can melt your noggin, that’s for sure:upside:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Looks as if you will have quite a bit of correcting to do - nothing new there then.
the track pins are also incorrect - just straight bits of rod with no head on the end
How do you go about putting that right ??? New pins or somehow put heads on?
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Si - I did something similar and ended up with a Dragon 1/6 Sherman :smiling5: Stupid really as it needs a ton of work and I have nowhere to display it even if it gets built
Thanks for the link - seen the site before but must go back and check it out again.
Yes, have that book along with Japanese Achtung Panzer 6, the Ryton Pub. Bruce Culver/Ewe Feist, Verlinden photo book of the Saumur tiger, Squadron Signal

Ian - at least they are industrial size so don’t need the Optivisor

Jim - currently thinking of just making new end pieces. Push the rods in and then cap the holes but I need to do a bit more research.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Simon, you have a job and a half there, but with your skills you we do a great job! Might take ages though!!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Bob - thanks for the vote of confidence. Might just finish the tracks by the end of the GB!

tig-035_2019-10-4.jpg
this is the standard kit part with the pin pushed in - not very accurate

in reality the pins should have a slightly domed head on one end and for post '43 a circular collar on the other end secured with a roll pin through a cross drilled hole

I now know what I need to do

tig-031_2019-10-4.jpg
domed head for one end and a pin end with collar for the other

tig-033_2019-10-4.jpg
the head should be recessed into the inner end of the link so each link will need reaming out to take the punched head as they are of course slightly larger diameter than the pin

tig-032_2019-10-4.jpg
the pin end / collar pushes into the pin hole and sticks out - this test collar is slightly too deep, the ones I shall make will need to be a bit thinner

tig-030_2019-10-4.jpg
the teeth also need holes through them - looks a bit rough on this test link but I think I should be able to get them neater
tig-034_2019-10-4.jpg
so for each link I now need to sand the filler, trim any flash, fill and sand sink marks on the main bar, ream out inner end of pin hole, punch domed head, make pin end/collar and add ends of roll pin, make holes in each guide tooth, then cut down the metal kit pin

should keep me rather busy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You ain't just whistln' Dixie!! How many links per side, times 2, equals a:poop: Ton of work! I shall eagerly await each update on each link and pin...please keep us all posted as to your light speed progress:tongue-out3: LOLOLOLOL !!! this is nuts, I'd be looking for another project. However, I am not the inimitable Mr. T. My hat is off to you Sir for your persistency and consistency in your endeavor to create the Perfect large scale Tiger tank. Can't believe how windy I am sometimes. Cheers, Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
You'll need to pace yourself. Do a few and then do something else, then a few more and so on. The men in the white coats will be coming otherwise. How many links are there?
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You poor bar steward!! That is indeed a labour of love. You must be looking at about 175 links!! Utter madness. Good luck. If it helps they certainly look the part with your upgrades

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I think this would be going back into the stash if it was mine....................
Still , what else are you going to do with your time?It's not like you have any other builds on the go at the moment, is it?
utter madness:flushed::tongue-out3: better get Matron standing by with the meds!