Simple, cheap diorama base (hints, tips and tricks)

C

CDW

Thanks for the comments

Now for the foliage

The simplest way of making trees is to use twigs as the trunk (after all they are made of wood and are the right colour:smiling3:)

View attachment 72721

The thing i find that makes them more realistic is if you make up some smaller branches and cover them in foliage, the same idea can be used to make shrubs and bushes

The method:

You need some wire (i use telephone cable because its solid core and not stranded, just strip off the plastic sleeve)

View attachment 72708

Secure a pin/nail so you can wrap the wire, midpoint, around it and lay out one end flat on the bench secure the loose end so its straight and taught. cover this wire with contact adhesive then lay strands of bristles/flax/wool/paintbrush hairs etc across the wire. in this instance im using some garden twine that i have unravelled.

View attachment 72709

View attachment 72710

View attachment 72711

lay the other end over the top of the strands and the wire and use a bar of some sort to start to twist the wire round (i have used a dremmel in the past but sometimes it's just too quick and snaps the wires)

the strands of material will become entwined in the wire twists and start to form little "bushes"

View attachment 72713

View attachment 72714

When you have the effect you want just cut the wire wherever you need to separate them

View attachment 72715

Next spray the little "bushes" with contact adhesive (this one's from halfords, cost £5 and will last for ages) you can use PVA stippled on with a brush.

View attachment 72716

Then just cover the entire "bush" with what ever you want to use for leaves/foliage in this case im using some that i bought cheap mixed with some homemade, and some home made on its own to show the similarity.

You can use mixed herbs to good effect, as well as crushing up dried leaves and dying the with food colour.

If the inside structure shows through, it'll look like twigs under the leaves, i find the other method of covering clumps of sponge with foliage a bit too solid looking.

View attachment 72717

To make your own foliage ..... it's as simple as buying different colours of washing up sponge and popping the into a kenwood chef / liquidiser and chopping them up into fine bits, you can add colour if you want to (food colouring is best as you can mix the colours to get a certain leaf colour you require)

When they're chopped up into a fine mush, pour them into a very fine sieve or filter them through coffee filters.

when the majority of the water has drained them tip the gloop out onto a board and allow to air dry, be careful not to put it in a draft as it ll blow everywhere

this is a selection of the colours and textures from different sponge.

View attachment 72718

View attachment 72719

Attach them to your twigs in a natural way and you should have something that looks like this

View attachment 72720

Obviously just glue them directly to the base if all you need is some shrubbery or bushes

Another effective method is using grape stems and covering them with foliage, credit from me to this idea goes to Ron (spanner)

View attachment 72722

View attachment 72723

next update will be the finished item .....

thanks for looking.

View attachment 72712

SAM_0574.JPG

SAM_0575.JPG

SAM_0578.JPG

SAM_0579.JPG

SAM_0582.JPG

SAM_0583.JPG

SAM_0584.JPG

SAM_0585.JPG

SAM_0586.JPG

SAM_0588.JPG

SAM_0589.JPG

SAM_0590.JPG

SAM_0592.JPG

SAM_0601.JPG

SAM_0603.JPG

SAM_0605.JPG

First Name
Andy
Hi Colin,

This is just the type of thing that really helps, thank you Sir...

Hopefully it will be made into a sticky now so it doesn't get lost...

Andy...

C

CDW

Thank you Andy,

If its worth being stickied, the ''powers that be'' are in charge with that :smiling3:

First Name
Richard
Hello Colin,

thanks for taking the time to do this, some really helpful tips there mate.

thanks again

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice indeed Colin you know these big bits that come in packing i nver keep only try to keep the 5mm to 10 ml sheets

and after seeing how you have used them ,think i will keep some hanging about,

keep up the great work will be looking forward to next post

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hope you don't mind Col.

I found that my local pet shop sells budgie grit and fishtank gravel cheaply (that's if you're not as lucky as Ron who seems to have an endless supply of this sort of stuff in his garden - I think he considers the whole of Cheshire to be his garden judging from the range of stuff he finds!). I got a couple of kilograms of each for about £6 in total. Like the vivarium sand Col has mentioned, there are some bigger bits in the budgie grit (although not many) and the gravel has a range of natural colours with both rough and smooth stones.

View attachment 73001

View attachment 73002

Like Col says, you don't have to spend a fortune to buy the basic stuff you need. Next time you go to the seaside and have a picnic on the beach, fill a couple of empty sandwich boxes with sand or gravel, that'll be even cheaper!

Gern

PS Love the trees Col! Now, where can I get a blender from?

IMGP0996.JPG

IMGP0997.JPG

First Name
Richard
Hello Gern,

you can sift the sand in different sizes, for more detail when u use for a sandy diorama.

Cheers Richi

C

CDW

\ said:
Hope you don't mind Col.
Not at all Dave ... chip in mate

That bird grit is most usefull, As richard says you can sieve it for the different sizes.

This is the stuff (with added oyster shell) that i use in a jar to "sand" any small or awkward items ready for paint.. it's what Laurie calls his "Grit-Colin" method :smiling3:

I use reptile sand for bases mainly because i have a load of spare reptile sand ... coz we keep ... reptiles :smiling3:

You can cheat even further if you ever go to a shale beach coz its there in abundance .... just remember to wash it before you use it as the salt in it tends to make the PVA glue go a bit yellow and 'stringy' when it sets.

\ said:
PS Love the trees Col! Now, where can I get a blender from?
You can pick up a "hand blender" from supermarkets, i have the twin speed Sainsburys budget job, cost less than a fiver.

Will be posting finished images up soon, the base is now about as close as i can get it to what i had pictured in me head :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Colin, thanks for a very informative thread...I'm sure we will all glean plenty of great tips and short cuts from your presentation to help us achieve some great bases to start our future dioramas...

Thank you once again,

Ron

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Colin,

thank you so much for answering some think i was going to ask a great help and looks good as well

like the way you lay it out with lots off tips and pics that real help, show what your saying,

is there a rule off thumb you use for the highs off the trees or shrubs ?

Im lucky as i have some fruit trees at home so when i pure them can get some nice trucks,

keep up the good work and tips its alot off help

ta

cheers

C

CDW

\ said:
is there a rule off thumb you use for the highs off the trees or shrubs ?
I think trees between 18 and 24 feet look about right for scaling down in a diorama (just personal preference)

so i keep the trees around 6 to 8 inches tall for 1/35 which seems to give the desired effect

this would be 3-4 inches for a 1/72 diorama

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
hi Colin, thank you , that dose make it a little ezy , and gives a base to work off ,