Smock colour id/ type

B

Brad9826

Hi all ,
Can anyone confirm the type of the smock worn by Hans Tragardky in the photo (for discussion only)
I'm thinking it maybe splinter b?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Brad9826

This one may help , Hans is on the left..
(For discussion purposes only again)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Brad,
I know this is a boxart photo but I believe it be accurately researched,

regards Jim

B

Brad9826

Hi Jim
Thanks, I think I have my photos wrong , it's the guy next to Hans that I need to clarify what he's got . If he's same unit 1 SS, then it would be the peadot as you posted, but it looks like a Fallschirmjager smock?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I'm confused now on who you mean.
The chap on the left has a US army poncho over the autumn oak smock. 1st SS schütze.Chap on the right is Fallschirmjäger .
Jon.

First Name
Wouter
In general splinter wasn't to be used by the Waffen-SS though the camo's of the different branches were mixed from time to time, especially later in the war when stocks were becoming more and more thin.

I know Taesung Harmms sculpted this chap a couple of years ago. I remember him asking lots of question to connaisseurs on FB before starting. The paintwork by Man Jin Kim is an educated guess since it's hard to make up from the photos but looks credible to me.

35211d.jpg

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
The smock worn by the bloke on the right looks like the LW smock rather than FSJ splinter/water pattern.
Jon

B

Brad9826

Hi Jon and thanks , it was the guy on the right so apologies for confusion, so my question then if not splinter is it the bluey/ grey colour.
Wouter thanks also for reply, but I think I caused confusion on first photo of Hans.. Doh..

B

Brad9826

This is the figure I have started

Attachments

• IMG_20190324_121416878.jpg
    IMG_20190324_121416878.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 10
D

Durk

An interesting question Brad. The Mg. 42 gunner has been discussed to death on as many forums as you can think of. I cannot remember any discussion on the Fallschirmjaeger you are asking about, but for shure he is wearing a Fallshirmjaeger smock . These men were pretty rain soaked when these pictures were taken, which makes it so difficult to establish the exact type of clothing and camo patterns. Looking at vaious copies of these photographs on the net and playing about with light and contrast, I cannot see the hard demarcations that come with the splinter patterns. In the following picture I think I see softer demarcations of a camo pattern on his right arm:

For me this would point to a sumpftarn muster and not splinter or the single colour greenish version, but this is based on my interpretation of this picture.

The colourised picture below could make you think otherwise, but I think the person who colourised it may have taken a bit too much artistic liberty here:

Looking forward to see your figure progress.

DIRK

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This is the sumpftan smock worn by Luftwaffe FD troops.I don't see the zip pocket on the left shoulder.335442

B

Brad9826

Hi Dirk, thanks also for taking time to reply, I think I might take some artistic licence then.. I do fancy the Marsh pattern though.. Cheers

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Your figure looks to be wearing the FSJ jump smock which most likely would be splinter patter .

B

Brad9826

Hi again Jon thanks, decision made... Splinter it will be..
Thanks to all who took time to help, much appreciated.

D

Durk

This is the sumpftan smock worn by Luftwaffe FD troops.I don't see the zip pocket on the left shoulder.View attachment 335442

Jon, for as far as I can see the man in question was wearing a Fallschirmjaeger smock, not the Luftwaff FD smock as you attached. The zip pocket on the left arm (not sure if we're talking about the same zip) is a bit of a mystery to me as I can't find this back in any Fallshirmjager uniform pictures on the net. Is there anyone else who has more knowledge on this?

DIRK

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Brad,
I'll just throw this into the mix not wanting to cause controversy but the other uniform option is the Italian camoflage which was available at this time.
regards Jim

B

Brad9826

Thanks Jim, more choices but I'll try and attempt the splinter.
I'm confused as Dirk is with the zip on the arm, it was this that prompted me to ask what smock it was, as the images I have seen do not show.
Anyway we're off and running.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Brad,
That's absolutely fine, I only suggested it as a viable alternative
regards Jim

B

Brad9826

Jim thanks, suggestions and advice always appreciated. It's one I'll definitely add to list.:thumb2:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I always thought chappie was wearing a poncho of American origin.A real conundrum and a source of much debate over the years.
Richard