• Thread starter Deleted member 8703
  • Start date

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Chris

Looking good! Could you tell me what the base is made from?

Thanks bob

D

Deleted member 8703

It’s a foam material. I do not know where you live but in the U.S. it is called Foamular or pink foam. It is made by Owens Corning. I love this stuff. It is very strong and easily cut using hot wire tools. I buy it at the local home improvement store called Home Depot.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Chris

In the UK but will have a good look on the web

Bob

D

Deleted member 8703

Ohhh I forgot to add it is very light weight. You can also add additional layers to make a thicker base.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It is also quite dense and isn't as messy to work with as some of the other foam boards available. Lovely little dio. so far Chris....is the tree from Woodland Scenics or did you produce that yourself? Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's looking good so far Chris, but if I were them, I'd wait until the house at least had a roof before moving in! :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Here you go Bob. This does basically the same job.

I use similar board for my fantasy stuff, but from a different supplier. Weird terms and conditions on this one though. Smaller stuff is a minimum ten sheet order. 20mm is a minimum five sheet order. Less than five they’ll cancel the order. More than five they'll cut them in half and send them by second class post ???

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I use similar board for my fantasy stuff, but from a different supplier. Weird terms and conditions on this one though. Smaller stuff is a minimum ten sheet order. 20mm is a minimum five sheet order. Less than five they’ll cancel the order. More than five they'll cut them in half and send them by second class post ???

I came across similar terms with one supplier I tried some years ago. I contacted them as I didn't want such large quantities and they were prepared to sell a mixed bundle of thicknesses as long as there were ten sheets in total. Might be worthwhile you asking?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I personally don’t use that much Dave. My single sheets of five and ten mil will last me a good few years yet :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Christopher
A very unusual idea for a model. Look forward to it coming together.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Meant to ask Chris. Is that house a kit or have you scratchbuilt it? If it's a kit, what scale and who makes it?

D

Deleted member 8703

This is HO 1/87 scale. The building is a kit from Branchline Laserkits. This company makes some outstanding kits.

D

Deleted member 8703

You may also want to check out these kit manufacturers as well in the U.S.

Sierra West Models
FOS Scale Models
American Model Builders

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is HO 1/87 scale. The building is a kit from Branchline Laserkits. This company makes some outstanding kits.

OK. Thanks Chris. It looks very nice but HO scale is too small for my eyesight.