Somali

W

Windjammer

This type of model is extremely unpopular these days. It is a steel four-masted barque of 1892, one of the last British sailing ships ever built. She had a remarkably long career, ending her days as a towing barge in British Columbia and going to scrap in 1971. I don't build many sailing ships these days, preferring steam & motor ships of the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Please note that it is NOT a kit. There are no shop-bought parts in it. The masts, spars & rigging are 100% metal. The masts & spars are a mixture of brass tube, brass, copper & steel rod, whilst the rigging (including ratlines) is of fine copper wire.

somali1complete2408058le.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Very nice work Windjammer :poster_ke

U

Uncivil Serpent

This type of model is extremely unpopular these days. It is a steel four-masted barque of 1892, one of the last British sailing ships ever built. She had a remarkably long career, ending her days as a towing barge in British Columbia and going to scrap in 1971. I don't build many sailing ships these days, preferring steam & motor ships of the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. Please note that it is NOT a kit. There are no shop-bought parts in it. The masts, spars & rigging are 100% metal. The masts & spars are a mixture of brass tube, brass, copper & steel rod, whilst the rigging (including ratlines) is of fine copper wire.
somali1complete2408058le.jpg
Very nice looking model there Windjammer.

How about a little tutorial on turning out the realistic sea base sometime.

best regards

Chris :respect1:

W

Windjammer

The sea is made from a material known in the UK as "plasticine." In the U.S. it is probably known as "modelling clay." Used in schools. It is pressed into the base and is rolled into waves by a round plastic bead with a hole through it mounted on the end of a stick to form a roller. The blue paint is applied first and then the white is added whilst it is still wet so that it runs and gives a "wet" look. I make the seas, but it is my wife who paints them.

U

Uncivil Serpent

Hi Windjammer,

Thanks for the info. Have to look into the local toy shop next day off, then convince other half to start painting :smile2:

Cheers

Chris

N

Nigel.D

Wow that is incredible !! tell me how do you make the sails????

W

Windjammer

The sails were made from white airmail paper on which I printed lines (seams) on the computer. They were moulded round an ostrich egg whilst wet to give them a "wind filled" effect.

C

caliph

Somali and 4m barques.

[ It is a steel four-masted barque of 1892, one of the last British sailing ships ever built. She had a remarkably long career, ending her days as a towing barge in British Columbia and going to scrap in 1971.

This was a great pity as Somali was a beautiful vessel and probably one of the nicest of the big iron or steel hulled barques built, another that was lost about the same time through medling by San Francisco Maritime Museum was Champigny which was rescued from the Falklands but they didnt have the money to take her home after necessary repairs in South America so she was scrapped, better to leave her in the Falklands.

Would it surprise you to hear I have a large piece of Herzogin Cecilie hanging on my workshop wall? its a piece of her rusted deck bulwark plating rescued after 63 years on the bottom of Starhole Bay in Devon, also have a nice piece of her teak that was salvaged in 1936 after she was declared a loss, a small piece of the plating that I removed was cleaned and sandblasted and is on my keyring so goes everywhere with me, if that bit of metal could talk what a tale it would tell, 34 years at sea and over 30 trips around Cape Horn,

regards, Terry

Last edited:
W

Windjammer

Hi Terry,

Interesting about the bit of the old "Duchess." I am afraid interest in this sort of thing is fading fast. Most people in the UK now refer to ships as "boats" even if they are a quarter of a million tons and it is only occasionally I come across anyone who has any interest in square-rigged sailing ships. At present, I am building the wooden barque JHELUM, the hulk of which lies in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. I have included wood from the wreck of the JHELUM in the model. She was built in Liverpool, England in 1849 and the wood could also "tell a tale or two!"

C

caliph

Hi Terry,Interesting about the bit of the old "Duchess." I am afraid interest in this sort of thing is fading fast. Most people in the UK now refer to ships as "boats" even if they are a quarter of a million tons and it is only occasionally I come across anyone who has any interest in square-rigged sailing ships. At present, I am building the wooden barque JHELUM, the hulk of which lies in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. I have included wood from the wreck of the JHELUM in the model. She was built in Liverpool, England in 1849 and the wood could also "tell a tale or two!"
Although most of my time is spent on sailing warships for American customers I do like the big steel hulled barques, I have plans for Cecilie by Underhill and an updated lines drawing (original is missing) by an Australian shipwright, also have a reconstructed set of plans for 'Pamir' by Malcolm Darch (professional model maker) who spent three months drawing them working from deck plans and other known data.

I have had thoughts on building a 1/96 scale model of the French bounty ship 'Loire' for which I have the plans at 1/150 which was another 4 masted barque built around 1892, I think the French bounty ships were some of the most beautiful steel hulls ever built with a nice sheer and the look of a thoroughbred about them.

Jhelum is in a pretty bad way these days and past salvage I think, whether she has the internal strength to withstand salvage is open to debate but she was solidly built, one that should be investigated I think is 'Lady Elizabeth' before she is too far gone for salvage, she is possibly the last deep water sail not claimed for restoration available now in anything like fair condition,

regards, Terry

W

Windjammer

I feel that the LADY ELIZABETH is also beyond salvage. It is now 22 years since I walked her decks. Outwardly, the old barque gave an impression of enduring strength. However, in the summer of 1983, I boarded her for the last time on a bright, warm day. We were able to climb down into the 'tweendecks via iron ladder rungs at the after end of the mizzen hatch. We made our way forward across the 'tweendeck beams then devoid of planking with the water of the harbour inches below. On reaching the forepeak. I noticed vertical cracks in the thick iron plating. They had opened to such an extent that I could poke my hand through the gap. I had a clear view of the length of the harbour! I think the iron, even 22 years ago, was rusted through. From time to time, I see the wreck on the World News and the mainyard still seems to be hanging aloft. However, at such a time as it falls, I can't help thinking that it will smash the already fragile hull into two pieces and that will be the end of it!

C

caliph

The @Elizabeth' has been there nearly 70 years now with only the penguins for company and chances are there is not much left of her below the waterline for sure, i wonder what the 'County of Peebles' and the others at Punta Arenas are looking like these days? and the old 'Ambassadors' composite hull framing too,

regards, Terry