some more boats

A

adzam

ok doke, just for a change i have some more pictures of boats, i will give as much info as possible on each one , but others may be able to fill in the blanks........

kevalla1.jpg

This model was built buy a member of the Edinburgh model boat club, Ian greig.From what i know she is plank on frame construction and built to a scale of 1/24.

A nice size when seen in the water. Kevella is now owned by Andrew (AJG141) and i`m sure he could fill in some more info on this model.

kevalla2.jpg

RIVER DEE

riverdee2.jpg

This model is another trawler, again a stern trawler , the `RIVER DEE`. she sailed from aberdeen and was registered in port knockie, this is where the skipper originated from. as with a lot of these boats in reality refits where common as where modfifications, one of the latter mod`s was the addition of a kort type nozzle and the removal of the rear gantry as well as an increase in size of about 10 feet.

The model is i believe is of her original construction after leaving the slipway.

She is again ,like Kevalla ,constructed by plank on frame with a resin lining on the inside to ` proof the model.

powered by a 6v decaperm DEE was built over a period of two years ,again by Iain greig of edinburgh model boat club .

I obtained this model about 6 weeks ago, Freshend up the paint and added some working lights as can be seen in the second picture . i have also added two working radar units powered by servo`s ( that where faulty,with the electronics removed to allow the use of the motor and gearbox). this brings a bit of life to the model. there are a couple of things needing done yet but the bulk of the work has been done. I`m currently trying to find out more information on this boat as she was apparently scrapped a few years ago .

Being Originally built from a james pottinger plan from ` model shipwright` magazine ( a quarterly magazine ) the plan was in 1/50 scale but the boat was built to 1/25 scale, hence a big model !! ( aprox 38 inches) .. the amount of ballast required is gettin in to 7 or 8 kilo`s ( about 16 lb`s in old money)meaning that it is easier to ballast the boat at the pond side rather than permanent ballast fitted in hull, i havent quite got the ballast right yet .

riverdee1.jpg

this is a slightly more atmospheric shot as the sky darkened and threatened heavy rain ( alongside the gusts of wind !!!)

Tyne class lifeboat.

tyne1.jpg

yup, i think the first model lifeboat on this forum ( hopefully not the last!) .

This model is aprox 32 inches in length, built from scratch on a metcalf glass fibre hull and powered by two 540 size motors, she has been built to represent the fraserburgh lifeboat " The city of edinburgh" . bueatifully put together model which has been modified as the original boat went from slipway launch to permanant berthed boat.

( hull colour is white for slipway boats, blue and red for berthed boat ).

The original boat is currently sitting in eyemouth after a refit, apparently not self righting very well these boats have had bouyancy tanks fitted to aid in their self righting ability. The Fraserburgh lifeboat has now been updated with a trent class boat, capable of heavy weather and 25 knots.

This model is currently owned by my father and this was it`s first sail with him at the controls, considering the gusty conditions she sailed very well and a very good turn of pace was evident even into the wind.

tyne2.jpg

this pic just shows the conditions that this model had to put up with !!.

Last edited:
N

No.6

Certainly not a day for the faint hearted sailor! was nice to see Kevella and The River Dee, models about the same size and scale, in the water with the scale swell!

Last edited:
A

ajg141

Kevella was built by the Buckie yard of Herd and Mackenzie in 1988 and was originally named Eleanda (BCK60). She was first wooden hulled purpose built boat with a full length enclosed shelter deck. The vessel was later sold to to the Kevella Fishing Company Ltd of Banff and re-registered as Kevella (BF364). She suffered fire damage in Sept 1989. Last heard of she had been renamed Atlantic Fisher (T116) and was sailing out of Tralee in the Dingle peninsula. As Adzam says this model was built by Ian Greig of EMBC and every part of her (with the exception of the crew) was hand made from scratch. I have some original photos of her taken at Macduff harbour when Ian was building her. A similar modelwas built by John Webster and photos can be seen on: www.netmaker.karoo.net

Andrew

N

noobee captain

Very nice - one day I hope to build a boat of that sort of quality!

:respect1:

Noobee