Some of my planes

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Here’s something I’ve been meaning to post for a while and seeing Steve and Ron’s exchanges regarding correct terminology for aircraft has spurred me to take some pics of some of my planes . Living in Sheffield and being a joiner for a good part of my working life means quality edge tools have always been of interest and subsequently I’ve built up a fair collection of planes ,chisels etc . A fair few of these have been bought cheap at car boots etc and refurbished/ restored , a lot were also obtained new through various contacts working in the tool factories , when they were still producing tools in Sheffield ( note , very few tools are still made in Sheffield , most of the bigger companies - Marples , Record , Stanley UK - have been moved abroad or bought out and the name is put on cheapo crap - (Irwin Marples ) ) All the planes in the picture were made in Sheffield with the exception of the Woden fillister which may have been made in Birmingham , although Woden were bought by Record and made in Sheffield too !3600892A-5264-448A-8875-E22E22C85E30.jpeg87D3802F-F4FC-4D4A-97A5-6FCD7079064E.jpeg1B97B546-D02E-4F27-890C-7AC0B6B224EE.jpeg0D8B47C8-47A7-4BC7-8472-0B6B9327AA58.jpeg03B245E6-43F8-4B6E-B4CB-AA013CA75610.jpeg7AE5C723-9B8D-435A-ACAE-39438079809D.jpeg8B5233A1-C966-43E3-9483-8F5F3C2DF856.jpeg
My favourite is a record 04 that I restored along with two others , which dates from 1954/56 . I found a fascinating ( well to me !) site online that tells the subtle differences between record planes over the years and enabled me to accurately date mine .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice collection,;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Tony

Very cool indeed!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice....only got a a Record number 4, a Record Bailey and a Bull nose myself.....when I set up home on my own in the early 1980’s there was a good second hand tool shop nearby, and I sourced almost all my hand tools there at very reasonable prices.....

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers guys , I’ve just entered the 21st century and got myself a YouTube account so I can now attempt to upload videos ,so here’s a couple

the Acorn plane ( first video ) and the Record 04 were both being tested after sharpening on a 2” piece of solid oak

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
... and here was me looking to see a collection of wingy thingies!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice collection of quality tools Tony :thumb2: , and I thought a post of real aircraft was coming up:upside:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Takes me back to my days in the woodwork room at school, still have a few planes myself boxed up in the garage somewhere with the rest of my woodworking tools. Don't want to get rid of them but have no room to use them since moving to an apartment in Brussels 10 years ago.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tony, nice to see these. I have a Stanley Jackplane like yours. a smoothing plane and a Stanley Shooter, which is similar to a Jackplane, but about 6" longer at the heal. I used this to straighten the edge on long lengths of board prior to gluing the edges together, very rare nowadays....and a little block plane. Couldn't have any more as I carried my stuff in a 'Tool Bass' on a hand cart. I kid you not!

Don't laugh me owd mate, but here's my smoother.

Bought in 1964 along with a hammer and a wooden rule. The price of the plane was 49/6, around £2.50 in new money. My wage at that time was £3. 50 a week! So not much left to give my mum for my keep......

Still going strong after almost 60yrs. , and in original condition. Even the Dymo tape price sticker is still on it.

P1260841.JPG

P1260843.JPG

A bit of history. All Stanley planes have 'Bailey' cast onto them. He was the inventor of the adjusting wheel for the blade.
P1260840.JPG

Thanks for posting your collection, Tony.

Ivor Chyzzell

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
No photos, but I have a few planes my dad bought new in the early fifties, Record 2" jack, 2 1/2" smoother, a block plane that my mother lent to her neighbour...who dropped it from a ladder and cracked the lever cap, and a Record no 50 Combination Plane, with all the cutters and accessories in a polished wooden box, never used. I've added a few more, picked up at boot sales - a couple of rebate planes, Stanley side rebate plane, and the one I use most, a Stanley 2" smoothing plane that I paid 50p for. I prefer it to the Record smoother because it's a lot lighter. I fitted a Japanese laminated blade, so it holds it's edge better.
A small point Ron - Leonard Stanley didn't invent the steel plane, he was the first to patent the adjusting mechanism. https://lemelson.mit.edu/resources/leonard-bailey . Incidentally, Leonard Stanley is also the name of a village in Gloucestershire, where the paternal grandfather of my great-grandfather's wife was a woollen mill owner. Fascinating eh?
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Tony, I'm pleased to see you don't put your planes* down on their soles! I still remember the school woodwork teacher ranting "I don't spend hours every evening sharpening planes for you boys to rest the planes on the cutting edge".
Pete

*well, except for that poor wooden plane. What had it done to deserve that abuse?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What a great collection. I was never good at woodwork (my teacher shouted a few choice words at me, but they were nothing to do with how I put down a plane!)

And Ron, that certainly looks like a very well loved tool.

It just goes to show that there is no substitute for quality. Nowadays it's hard to find tools that don't fall apart within a few uses, never mind decades.

Cheers

Havin A Grumble

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A small point Ron - Leonard Stanley didn't invent the steel plane, he was the first to patent the adjusting mechanism. https://lemelson.mit.edu/resources/leonard-bailey . Incidentally, Leonard Stanley is also the name of a village in Gloucestershire, where the paternal grandfather of my great-grandfather's wife was a woollen mill owner. Fascinating eh?
Pete

Cheers, Pete.
My 'Statement' adjusted accordingly, and your link proved very interesting. Thank you.
Good old Leonard Bailey, and what rotters Stanley were to him!

Steve, you just can't beat a well loved tool!

Sir Mecan 'Pusha' Spokeshave.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Something deeply satisfying about the sizzle of a good sharp plane shaving off a full strip off of a board.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
What a collection, speaking as the very unproud owner of a modern piece of rubbish. But at least I've got one. I bet most youngsters these days wouldn't know what one was, or how to adjust and don't mention sharpen.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tony, nice to see these. I have a Stanley Jackplane like yours. a smoothing plane and a Stanley Shooter, which is similar to a Jackplane, but about 6" longer at the heal. I used this to straighten the edge on long lengths of board prior to gluing the edges together, very rare nowadays....and a little block plane. Couldn't have any more as I carried my stuff in a 'Tool Bass' on a hand cart. I kid you not!

Don't laugh me owd mate, but here's my smoother.

Bought in 1964 along with a hammer and a wooden rule. The price of the plane was 49/6, around £2.50 in new money. My wage at that time was £3. 50 a week! So not much left to give my mum for my keep......

Still going strong after almost 60yrs. , and in original condition. Even the Dymo tape price sticker is still on it.

View attachment 389806

View attachment 389807

A bit of history. All Stanley planes have 'Bailey' cast onto them. He was the inventor of the adjusting wheel for the blade.
View attachment 389805

Thanks for posting your collection, Tony.

Ivor Chyzzell
The three record 04s and the little stanley 110 all looked like that or worse when i got them as a job lot off ebay ron . A Joiner friend of my sons said he wanted a nice smoother and block plane so i bid on the job lot and restored them for him , he was over the moon .