Spanish sunken bronze cannon vignette.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
After the superb work that Colin produced with his cannon dio I have finally finished off my sunken bronze Spanish cannon vignette (yep, I love doing sunken/wrecked models).This has been in my junk box for ages and Colin got me thinking about it.

The cannon is base metal and measures 5 inches long, it was reworked to remove cast lines and then bored out, barrel and firing hole. The wood frame is scratch built using some scrap timber shaped on my sander/grinding wheels. The crusty-rusty bands are real metal made from off cuts of thin scrap metal sheet. The base is a grey powder mixed with PVA and small pieces of Vermiculite-a material used in kilns etc as it is fire-proof (thanks to Colin for supplying this :smiling3: ). Painting is via AB, enamels, brushed and sponged-the colour underneath is bronze and the washes taken back in places to highlight this due to currents etc. Finally some growth added and a coating of matt varnish.

COULDN'T LEAVE ALONE-FISH ADDED AND SOME BETTER PICCIES

:smiling3:
Comments welcome.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 73680

View attachment 73681

View attachment 73682

View attachment 73683

View attachment 73684

View attachment 73766

View attachment 73767

View attachment 73768

View attachment 73769

DSCF2178.JPG

DSCF2179.JPG

DSCF2181.JPG

DSCF2180.JPG

DSCF2177.JPG

DSCF2196.JPG

DSCF2198.JPG

DSCF2202.JPG

DSCF2203.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great stuff Si glad to see you building again I love the sea weed coming out of the barrel , be good to see it as if it was underwater :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Great stuff Si glad to see you building again I love the sea weed coming out of the barrel , be good to see it as if it was underwater :smiling3:
Cheers mate, this has been a 'plod along', something simple that, in my present state, didn't matter if it was mucked up lol.

As for under water...not got enough clear resin, besides it may go really wrong and end up looking like Polux's attempt, a brown block :sad:

Glad you like it mate.

Si...still a coughing and snivelling.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Cheers mate, this has been a 'plod along', something simple that, in my present state, didn't matter if it was mucked up lol.As for under water...not got enough clear resin, besides it may go really wrong and end up looking like Polux's attempt, a brown block :sad:

Glad you like it mate.

Si...still a coughing and snivelling.
A plod along ? Well it turned out well mate :smiling3:

I had that bug a few weeks back mate it really knocked me off my feet so I know what your going through just rest up and drink loads of fluids mate :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
A plod along ? Well it turned out well mate :smiling3: I had that bug a few weeks back mate it really knocked me off my feet so I know what your going through just rest up and drink loads of fluids mate :smiling3:
Yeah, I had got out a E.E.Canberra in 1/72 scale to do...properly :smiling3: Although the paint scheme was going to me ali/chrome with either a matt blue on the nose and trailing edges and yellow banding. But due to this cold I knew it would end up a right mess so decided to just plod with this model. Something easy, no real concentration involved so enjoyed the build.

This bug is getting on my nerves now. When I cough it it hurting the muscles in my back and due to my disability the pain is even more so...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Like you said, dosed up and drinking a plenty.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
You'll be on the mend soon enough mate. :smiling3:

So you've gone for the early paint job I saw an EE lightning the other day in 1/72 and I thought about it but I really struggle with metallic paint jobs I can never get a decent cover on them

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
You'll be on the mend soon enough mate. :smiling3: So you've gone for the early paint job I saw an EE lightning the other day in 1/72 and I thought about it but I really struggle with metallic paint jobs I can never get a decent cover on them
I know, just annoying lol.

Yeah, I have a enamel rattle can, once done I will highlight with chrome and then a darker ali for panel lines...well that's the plan. The nose top, leading wing and tailplane edges and front of engine nacelles will be in a matt light blue. The yellow banding will be around the fuselage, near the tail.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I know, just annoying lol.Yeah, I have a enamel rattle can, once done I will highlight with chrome and then a darker ali for panel lines...well that's the plan. The nose top, leading wing and tailplane edges and front of engine nacelles will be in a matt light blue. The yellow banding will be around the fuselage, near the tail.

Sounds great mate I love those early Cold War jets I want to get a a buccaneer and paint in fleet air arm livery that dark blue/grey and pale grey look was really great , I might see if I can get a 1/48 scale if they make one :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Sounds great mate I love those early Cold War jets I want to get a a buccaneer and paint in fleet air arm livery that dark blue/grey and pale grey look was really great , I might see if I can get a 1/48 scale if they make one :smiling3:
Hoping that I can pull it off okay, but as you say, depends if the metallic paint works okay.

Airfix do a 1/48 scale Buccaneer but they can be hard to get and do hold there prices.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's great I'll get the mrs on the case if they make it she will find it :smiling3:

I'm not worried about price unless it's stupid money I'd pay about £30 for one or a little over that but not much more

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
That's great I'll get the mrs on the case if they make it she will find it :smiling3: I'm not worried about price unless it's stupid money I'd pay about £30 for one or a little over that but not much more
IRC the Airfix model is the only maker and they have discontinued it. Prices are around the £30 mark.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
IRC the Airfix model is the only maker and they have discontinued it. Prices are around the £30 mark.Si:smiling3:
Cheers mate I'll get the wife to check evilbay and such and remind her that Santa is coming soon :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers mate I'll get the wife to check evilbay and such and remind her that Santa is coming soon :smiling3:
You could try the 1/48 Gloster Javelin, that is a nice looking aircraft, around £40 though.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
You could try the 1/48 Gloster Javelin, that is a nice looking aircraft, around £40 though.Si:smiling3:
That's another one I can see all jets I loved to build as a kid looks like I might see how many it can get :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
That's another one I can see all jets I loved to build as a kid looks like I might see how many it can get :smiling3:
Better get writing ya Santa list...it sounds like it could be a long one lol.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Better get writing ya Santa list...it sounds like it could be a long one lol.Si:smiling3:
Just posted a new thread to see if I've forgotten any :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Nicely done Si, great cannon dio.
Thanks Joe, glad you like it mate. Turned out well, I am pleased with the colouring, the weathering has worked a treat.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Some more piccies this time with added fish!