Spanner 570's Minicraft 1/144 Spitfire Mk. V

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Still o.k. to join in this G.B. Pete,? 'Cos I've been patiently waiting to get one of these without paying 'Silly Money' - and finally succeeded.

P1340197.JPGP1340198.JPG

Once built as a stand alone to comply with G.B. rules, I'll have a bash at a certain Ray Hanna 'stunt'. ;)

Cheers.
Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Still o.k. to join in this G.B. Pete,? 'Cos I've been patiently waiting to get one of these without paying 'Silly Money' - and finally succeeded.

View attachment 461690View attachment 461691

Once built as a stand alone to comply with G.B. rules, I'll have a bash at a certain Ray Hanna 'stunt'. ;)

Cheers.
Ron
That’ll be a rebranding of Spitfire bridge near Winchester then will it Ron? Should be good :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
A very tiny, simple kit. I'm sure you'll work your usual magic on it. I'm ashamed to say I had to Google Ray Hanna. What an amazing guy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comments on my titchy 'Thingy'... :flushed:

Karl, it's still in the box. Too nice a day, so outside get's priority. :cool:

Ivor Sawbak

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Karl, it's still in the box. Too nice a day, so outside get's priority. :cool:
Pretty nice here too, but running after weans, thought I had a bit of time but discovered a dead fish in the aquarium so had to sort that out and now deciding if I want to go to work tonight or to spend time at the bench, it's voluntary overtime but would need to be leaving in 5 minutes. I suspect the bench is winning.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ron
A very tiny, simple kit. I'm sure you'll work your usual magic on it. I'm ashamed to say I had to Google Ray Hanna. What an amazing guy.
Me too Jim .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well that’s the morning sorted. What are you going to do after smoko ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your input boys and sorry, but with only a dozen or so bits to glue together, it's almost done....

Here is the start of the painting.

After removing the loose fitting prop.,I brushed on some grey primer.

Then applied the underside colour (remember, lightest colour first)

Don't be too fussy about getting the paint on the upper surfaces, just watch out for any paint gathering.
P1340215.JPG

The main object is a good smooth finish where it matters. Brush the paint quickly and don't bother farting around by the wheel wells and tyres. get the paint on. Never brush paint from the outside edges of the wings to the middle. You are sure to get 'drips' of paint along the edges. Always from the middle out. Lay off the paint in the direction of any airflow. This will leave any possible paint streaking as a bit of weathering - in the right direction. ;)
P1340217.JPG

Next up, the first top surface colour and marking out the camo. ready for the final one.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the first upper surface coat brushed on using those great little pots of paint you get with Airfix starter packs. No reason for choosing green.

I've marked the camo. with a pencil and labelled the bits 'B' for.....Yes, you guessed it - Brown! :upside:

1st. coat.
P1340225.JPG

Try not to, but don't worry about a bit of paint wandering to the underside. Just make sure no paint has gathered in lumps and runs at the edges. Get the green on fast and smooth. All will be sorted later.
P1340224.JPG

Using a pencil, I've marked out the camo. Don't use anything else or the paint won't cover the demarcation lines.
P1340226.JPG

1st coat. Brushed on wishy washy. The main aim is to lay down the pattern. Subsequent coats of paint will sort things out.
P1340228.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one chaps. Fast and loose. Slap it on, it is!

Yes, indeed Jim. the best part of using a big brush is I can just rub this diddy model over the brush!

Thanks for the amusing feedback boys.

Here's the probably final stage of the main paintwork.

Brushed on second and final coat.
P1340232.JPG

I cleaned up the cockpit and as he's the size of a pin head, so bit indistinct, I've fitted a 1/144 mester from my bits box and then gave the whole thing a coat of 'Klear'
P1340240.JPG

It's now ready for the decals. I will fit the canopy and prop. at the last stage.

Cheers all.
Ron