Spanner's Academy 1/72 Catalina PBY-5A, Maritime S.A.R.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greeting 570.
Please don't mention pegs again, not with ear shot of Mrs R. Peg gate we don't need again :crying:

Yours 453 sitting in the gallery.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas. I'm chuffed you approve of the build thus far. :thumb2:

Please don't mention pegs again, not with ear shot of Mrs R.
How about 'Lightweight, multi colour, medium strength, spring action, multi position jaw opening. easy grip, economical, easy clean. anti crush, won't distort plastic joints. with plenty of secondary usage too.'

Such as.. hanging washing out, squeezing boils. holding wounds together, pulling out unwanted body hair. etc......

Yours 570, tipping ice cream onto people in the gallery from up in the gods!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
It’s coming on very nicely, I like the scratch built observation turret :thumb2:

Where would we be without “Lightweight, multi colour, medium strength, spring action, multi position jaw opening. easy grip, economical, easy clean. anti crush, won't distort plastic joints. with plenty of secondary usage too”, tools? :tears-of-joy:

Geoff.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Geoff and Andy. Good to have you along. :thumb2:

I've brushed on a first coat of Vallejo Air 'white' to the underside of the hull. I always brush on the lightest colour first. Dark over light every time.

P1350684.JPG

There is a colour change on the rear of the aircraft, so rather than waste the paint, I 'Cleaned' the brush out on this area.....:upside:
P1350685.JPG

As usual when applying paint, I'm not worried about a bit of overpainting. Getting the coat on quickly and smoothly is the main priority. Not neatness.
P1350686.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Paul. Don't worry, I bought her a nice new set of pegs for Christmas! She really appreciated my thoughtfulness and said they were just what she wanted!......:face-with-head-bandage::face-with-head-bandage:

On with the build.

First, a big thanks to 'Big box' Dave (gern) for his invaluable help with the colour scheme.

Again, like the fuselage, the fit of the wing sections was a first time, no touchy filey fit. This kit is way the best fit I've come across - Bar none! I just remove the 'snots' where the parts where attached to the sprues, and that's it.

Here are the components with the brushed on, tap water thinned, first coats of the various colours. I'm getting into the naughty habit of painting wings before assembly into the fuselage. I'm finding them easier to handle when painting a 'different' scheme, such as this one.

The Vallejo Air colours are...

U.S. Blue/Grey
White.....!
Ferrari Red
Medium Yellow

I don't use masking tape, but use the rivet detail or panel lines as a brush guide.

As in the past, with the first coat, I'm not too fussy about any join 'wobbles' between the different colours. I just try and get the line as tight as I can as I proceed. The final cutting in can wait until what I consider to be the last coating.

The lines are straight, it's the camera lens 'bending' them....with a little help from the wing profile. Honest!

P1350693.JPG

P1350696.JPG

Next, joining the bits and the final coat.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lovely paint work Ron :thumb2: looking forward to seeing where you’re going with this.
Cheers
Paul