spanner's Mitsubishi A6M3 Zero Fighter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I had intended to build the 1/1200 Queen Mary Cruise Liner but it is a very complicated model to paint and there would not be enough time to complete it so....

Here is one of my reserve entries.

P1220525.JPG

P1220524.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I had intended to build the 1/1200 Queen Mary Cruise Liner but it is a very complicated model to paint and there would not be enough time to complete it so....

Here is one of my reserve entries.

View attachment 336909

View attachment 336908

Cheers.
Ron

Oh poop! I was looking forward to seeing what you could do with that ship! Having seen the painting needed when we had a peep inside the box though, I agree that's gonna take some time. I hope you'll have a go at it when you're not under any time restraints.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, bearing in mind what you had in store for this Zero, you shoulda oughta bought that 1/48 one for this build! Let's face it, you was throwin' money around like it was the last shopping day on Earth - the extra £3 wouldn't have hurt much!:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oh poop! I was looking forward to seeing what you could do with that ship! Having seen the painting needed when we had a peep inside the box though, I agree that's gonna take some time. I hope you'll have a go at it when you're not under any time restraints.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, bearing in mind what you had in store for this Zero, you shoulda oughta bought that 1/48 one for this build! Let's face it, you was throwin' money around like it was the last shopping day on Earth - the extra £3 wouldn't have hurt much!:smiling3:

Don't you loose any sleep now David, I'll set to with the Q.M. when the time is right or rather when I have more of it.....

£3! Up here that's a pint of beer and nearly a pound of change....... :upside::thumb2:

Reactions: JR

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I could have sworn I’d posted on this one Ron, I must have forgot to hit the post button. ( old age and Stella me thinks ). Pity about the Queen Mary, but like you say better when you have more time. Looking forward to seeing this Zero build though.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps and nice to have you along for the (I've just found out) short build.
Here is the nearly very straight forward build thus far.

I don't like dark plastic for construction, so first off I roughly painted most of the bits in green and/or grey whilst still attached to the sprues.
After I had glued the upper and lower wing sections together and offered it up to the fuselage I noticed huge gaps at the wing root joints on both sides. Bloody cheap kit thinks I!
It turns out it's part of the model engineering to get the correct dihedral. Me numpty.... :thumb2:

So armed with a suitable 'Boing Boing' I stretched it across from wing tip to wing tip - Dihedral sorted!

P1220526.JPG

The underside.
P1220527.JPG

Apart from fitting the canopy it's finished and ready for painting.
As the aircraft will eventually be depicted trying to fly into a big lump of moving steel, the undercarriage is up and locked and all unnecessary equipment has been removed. I might yet fix a bomb or two on its belly.

You might have noticed the different engine cover thingy. Last night I balls up the first by fixing it upside down (Bl***y home brew!) and wrecked it this morning when removing it. Luckily I had three in the kit.

All ready for final painting, decals and weathering.... Neeeeeouwww!
P1220528.JPG

All filed down.....
P1220529.JPG

When I'm ready to 'Fly' the aircraft, I'll snip off the prop. blades.

Cheers.
Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Banzai! Looking forward to your coming ‘divine wind ‘( thats too much boddies for you!)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Tony.
You are only right owd luv!

I batten down the hatches and stay at home during Bank Holidays, so I've quietly pushed on with the build......

I slung the model and paints in the fridge for a while then I can paint it outside under the parasol before the plastic gets too warm....... :cool::thumb2: Then repeat and repeat!

I'm too ham fisted to use masks for cockpit frames or masking tape generally, so I paint all my stuff freehand - It's near enough for me.

Here is the One Way Trip Zero brush painted with Vallejo Model Air Acrylics. It still needs a bit of touching up here and there and a second coat on the cockpit frames, then I'll add the decals. Finally, I will rough the whole thing up a bit!

P1220538.JPG

P1220543.JPG

P1220537.JPG

P1220540.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Ron.
The best way to rough it up is to put it on the floor and stamp on it :tongue-out3:.

It's not that bad is it Ralph? I was hoping a very large impact with some good old American shipyard steel might do the trick!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I slung the model and paints in the fridge for a while then I can paint it outside under the parasol before the plastic gets too warm....... :cool::thumb2: Then repeat and repeat!
And each trip to the fridge means another cold one to quench a moggler's thirst!
Looking good.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was going to get as seat in the shade, but this is nearly over.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Neil.

Decals fixed and matt varnish brushed on.
I've gone as far as I need with the actual build of the aircraft. Except for a suitable bomb!
All that is left is the weathering.
Unfortunately, I then have to snip the prop. blades off to get it 'Flying'....... :disappointed:
P1220545.JPG

P1220547.JPG

P1220548.JPG

Cheers.
Ron