spanner's Tamiya 1/700 U.S.S. 'Big E' Carrier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to Rick and Steve for your input.

Can't remember how to do big seas. :upside:

Image removed........It's inclusion didn't rest easy with me.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is my lot in life as well 570.....I'll do something very successfully and 3 days later totally forget how I did it. I have started making "build" notes of complicated steps to remember incase I do another in the future.....instruction sheets for this sort of thing seem to be lacking....for some reason or other! :thinking:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick. I gave up writing notes sometime ago. I could never remember just where I left them!

I spent a fair time today looking for my glasses. I eventually find them - Hooked in the sweater collar I had on!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Rick. I gave up writing notes sometime ago. I could never remember just where I left them.
I have the same problem. It's one of the benefits of blogging a project on this forum - you've got your notes right here!
Great start by the way, Ron, and I DO like that rugged weather model.
Looking forward to the result.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank goodness it's not just me then.....
Glad you like the transporter Neil.

I was still a bit 'Twitchy' about it's inclusion though.

Ron

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thank goodness it's not just me then.....
Glad you like the transporter Neil.

I'm still a bit 'Twitchy' about it's inclusion though. Can mods. delete it if they consider it has no bearing on the subject matter? Thanks

Ron
Surely if it's your thread there's no problem Ron?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Maybe not Neil, but it is kind'a irrelevant to the thread though.....I'll let admin. decide.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've deleted the photo. I don't want the slightest of issues. Imaginary or otherwise.

Sorry the last few members posts are now a bit disjointed as a result of the deletion and subsequent alteration of the text in my own posts.

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Update.
It seems a bit pointless to do a detailed build, when Dave has it well covered with an excellent s.b.s, building the same class of ship as me for this G.B.

So I'll continue with the painting of my 'Big E'

She received a battering from enemy forces during her time in the Pacific during WW2, so I'm trying to paint her in much the same way.

She's in her late war grey, just before she was badly damaged by a kamikazi aircraft that flew from stern to bow along her deck and disappeared over the bow. The bomb it was carrying exploded on the forward hanger lift. Destroying this and badly buckling her flight deck. She retired from any further action and saw the end of the war in dock.

With vessels, I always paint the bits as much as I can before I even begin to assemble the model. I can't understand why folks give themselves a hard time by sticking bits together and then trying to paint all those nooks and crannies. It's bad enough when they are still attached to the sprues!

I very rarely use primer. This model has none.

After brush painting the ship a medium grey hull and superstructure and blue/grey horizontal surfaces, I used various shades of brown and beige Vallejo Air, thinned with tap water and brushed quickly on and let the paint run where it wanted.....Smudged here and there with one of me digits.

P1360475.JPG

P1360476.JPG

P1360477.JPG

P1360478.JPG

P1360472.JPG

P1360473.JPG

P1360474.JPG

P1360480.JPG

A bit more painting, the rigging and the aircraft to do, then I can start the sea.

I shot myself in the foot a bit stating I was going to attempt a rough sea. After such a sweeping statement, I realised the model is a waterline version! Hey ho.....and on we go!

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
lookin forward to seein this 570 an yes is rough sea there might be a bit of cut off hull to be seen
lookin great
my freind
chrisb

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Chris and Jim for your positive posts. Much appreciated. :thumb2:

Ron

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nice paint job. Thats the thing with floating steel things. They rust for a hobby!! All war canoes are like the forth road bridge - always painting them. I used to wonder exactly HOW much grey paint they actually carried! Life on a warship is always a painting day!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So 570, you have graduated to "finger" painting, or shall we say, you have become a "Digital" Artist!! :tongue-out3: :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy: :tears-of-joy:;) What ever method you choose to employ, always turns out superb!! Are you quite certain that you didn't have the help of Idu and the "boys" in smearing that pigmentation about the flight deck and other areas of interest?:thinking: Seems to me I have seen that style of streaking before.......At any rate you have nailed it and you are getting closer to said finish line Sir. Well Done.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Ron. The perfect subject for a bit of weathering. I though the slate grey sea looked very impressive, then I realised it was indeed slate.
I must sit closer to the screen.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick and Colin. Great comments. Thanks fellas. :thumb2:

Rick. I really should offer Idu some work. Very soon perhaps. ;)

Colin. A piece of slate makes an excellent base to show models on - even if only temporarily.

As I was in the shed doing some background painting for 'Omaha', I thought it a good opportunity to remain in said place and throw me some powder and water around on this base.

I'm going to try and model a heavy sea, rather than an all over the place one...or summat in between! Best just see what develops. :upside:

Here's progress thus far.....

I've stared by sticking together two bits of scrap polystyrene. I then sloshed on some thinned P.V.A. and let dry.

P1360515.JPG

For shaping the sea, I always use whatever is in the shed. Preferably powder based. This one is done with some semi hard filler I found on the shelf. A bit of crushing with a paint scraper and it's near enough for this job. I've never used resins and other bought 'Water' stuff. I don't see the point.

To each his own, mind. It's what the modeller is happy with that counts, not how the result is obtained.

Here's some pictures.
The sea doesn't look rough just yet, but Enterprise is well bows down and ar*e up!

P1360576.JPG

The carrier's wake is added.
P1360564.JPG

P1360577.JPG

P1360565.JPG

P1360578.JPG

P1360567.JPG

Don't worry if your mix gets on the hull. And certainly don't worry about any wayward lumps and bumps, it all adds to the fun! These will be sorted out later.....
P1360572.JPG

The props wake.
P1360573.JPG

....and the angle of the dangle!
P1360575.JPG

Once 'ard enough, I'll smooth things out a tad and add an all over coat of some shade of blue/green.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow 570.... That's a hard list to starboard!! I do remember taking some thirty degree rolls in the Med. I'm told it could get pretty rough in the Pac. as well. Looks great! :thumb2: