Spitfire GB 2022 completed aircraft. Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Here are completed shots for your interest….
65BDA446-E2F3-4D12-8783-03DB6F209BEC.jpeg
01D5CB22-F007-4273-9DDA-CE8E4A19DD89.jpeg
5D3A70C0-D64D-4065-9648-334F73CE5FE5.jpeg
7F0278AC-7AB4-4EEE-87DD-37D395028CD9.jpeg
91CC15EE-DC71-4BC5-AFC6-455866A8E664.jpeg
0F9C4790-4F8E-4CF5-AEC1-D2CCAA9596D4.jpeg
FAE6F179-0B1B-45EE-93CC-A27E9285BE61.jpeg
49D28024-5C85-4961-8341-4D04B6939950.jpeg
Clever rear canopy on this kit. That’s one piece of plastic. Cures the perennial issue of the sliding hood being too high with Spits when the canopy is open.
68267109-90AB-4BA4-811B-CEFECBFA05D4.jpeg
Lastly, a comparison shot with a Mk I
84FE62F9-4245-45FE-BB66-FF980A0F1499.jpeg
That’s where a couple of years development can take you.

Great GB! Really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's turned out very well indeed Tim.

As you said in the build thread odd how the gloss coat still shows through so much.

As for the canopy that's very clever indeed.

A great build of a great plane, even with the clipped wings.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That's turned out very well indeed Tim.

As you said in the build thread odd how the gloss coat still shows through so much.

As for the canopy that's very clever indeed.

A great build of a great plane, even with the clipped wings.

ATB.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew. Very weird about the varnish. The gloss went on really well and had over a week to dry while I did the decals. New one on me. I’ve seen white fogging from matt varnish, but never had it refuse to at least dull down the surface if not go totally matt. I wasn’t sure if the canopy would work when I saw it, but I’m really impressed.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Cheers Andrew. Very weird about the varnish. The gloss went on really well and had over a week to dry while I did the decals. New one on me. I’ve seen white fogging from matt varnish, but never had it refuse to at least dull down the surface if not go totally matt. I wasn’t sure if the canopy would work when I saw it, but I’m really impressed.

That canopy is doing my head in!!

It's almost like an optical illusion...I can't work out how it works.....and it works very well indeed.

Could you take a shot or two from different angles to show how it works when you have a minute?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'd call that a great success. You must be pleased. That canopy is clever. The decals have gone on well. I rather like the finish that varnish has given.
Jim
Cheers Jim. Over all I’m pleased with the result, especially as that was my first wingy for a few years. I quite like the finish now I’ve got used to it. The Mk I I’ve compared it with is dead matt and I think that kills the surface. Works on tanks and figures, but not in aircraft. Must admit to getting quite annoyed with the varnish at one point though :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That canopy is doing my head in!!

It's almost like an optical illusion...I can't work out how it works.....and it works very well indeed.

Could you take a shot or two from different angles to show how it works when you have a minute?
It’s just solid plastic Andrew. The effect is generated by painting the framing on the supposed underneath piece from the inside, then masking and painting the outside frame as usual. If you look closely you can see the different shades of green that has generated.
Here is another one from a different viewpoint…
9DD81FCF-19D5-4757-B53F-55A9A7EA72AC.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Closed canopy and open canopy parts side by side from the sprue shots at the start of the build….the right hand one is the open canopy.E7D19B6A-B7B6-4783-A6AC-E36DF1E010BE.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You really did a "Bang up" job on this "bird" Tim.......I was looking to see if you had some of your "wee" Blokes serving as ground crew.....but to no avail. I too am a fan of your semi gloss finish. Having worked around aircraft all my life, I have yet to see one outside of a museum that had a "flat" finish. Well done to you Sir! :thumb2: :thumb2:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a fantastic result Tim.
I would say the finish is very close to spot on. A clean Spitfire was a fast Spitfire.
Cleaver detail with that canopy.
Top job .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You really did a "Bang up" job on this "bird" Tim.......I was looking to see if you had some of your "wee" Blokes serving as ground crew.....but to no avail. I too am a fan of your semi gloss finish. Having worked around aircraft all my life, I have yet to see one outside of a museum that had a "flat" finish. Well done to you Sir! :thumb2: :thumb2:
Cheers Rick. Very kind of you. No ground crew I’m afraid……don’t have anything suitable :disappointed2:
in real life it’s nearer high gloss, hence wanting to dull it a little Rick. Semi gloss (satin) is my usual finish aim on aircraft…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That is a fantastic result Tim.
I would say the finish is very close to spot on. A clean Spitfire was a fast Spitfire.
Cleaver detail with that canopy.
Top job .
Many thanks Ian. This model was pretty quick anyway ;) Yep, I think Airfix got it spot on with the canopy.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Blimey that's good, Tim. Great to see you've got the right stuff with things other than miniatures. That's an amazingly impressive model and hard to believe you've not done this sort of modelling in several years. Good for you!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Blimey that's good, Tim. Great to see you've got the right stuff with things other than miniatures. That's an amazingly impressive model and hard to believe you've not done this sort of modelling in several years. Good for you!
Cheers Paul. Very kind. I’ve got stuff all right….don’t know if it’s the right stuff though :tongue-out3: Must admit though, I had to keep thinking about what I was doing during this one. Nothing was second nature because I was a bit rusty. The Mossy should go a little quicker and more smoothly.