Spitfire GB 2022 completed aircraft. Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,not sure what i can add Tim:worried:.......
......it`s all been covered by the Guys already! ;).....
Cracking build.... Clever Canopy bit..... nice sheen to the finish...... Blahdy,Blahdy,Blah.......
.... OH!!... I know....... excellent Decal work,especially on those tiny little beggers :cool:!!
Andy
(Superb build BTW mate...... Love it!!:thumb2:)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well,not sure what i can add Tim:worried:.......
......it`s all been covered by the Guys already! ;).....
Cracking build.... Clever Canopy bit..... nice sheen to the finish...... Blahdy,Blahdy,Blah.......
.... OH!!... I know....... excellent Decal work,especially on those tiny little beggers :cool:!!
Andy
(Superb build BTW mate...... Love it!!:thumb2:)
Many thanks Andy (or is it Ken :tongue-out3: ).
Decals were actually quite easy, just took some time. Airfix decals behave impeccably onto a gloss surface. Tweezers holding the wet decal in one hand, cocktail stick in the other. Place them by gently pushing them in place with the stick, then squeeze them flat using a fold of damp kitchen roll. When they are dry, give them a good going over with decal set. When they are dry, prick any visible silvering with a very sharp blade (so the trapped air can get out), and repeat the decal set step. i never needed this stage with the decals on this beast. I also run a blade through decals along the panel lines so the decals can settle into the grooves properly. Decals sitting above the panel lines always looks wrong to me.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thought i’d commented on this tim but no . Superb job , a beautifully built and painted model , great job , cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
What Tony said Tim....I thought I had commented on the finished product too. If my decals come out 1/4 as good as yours, I'll be through the roof with my Mossie. Seems you got a tick for these wing thingy's....A most excellent finish Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thought i’d commented on this tim but no . Superb job , a beautifully built and painted model , great job , cheers tony
Cheers Tony. I must admit to being quite pleased as I haven’t built a wingy for a few years.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What Tony said Tim....I thought I had commented on the finished product too. If my decals come out 1/4 as good as yours, I'll be through the roof with my Mossie. Seems you got a tick for these wing thingy's....A most excellent finish Sir!!!

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen. It was a case of knowing what to do do, but trying to remember how to do it LOL…..
As to the decals, well Airfix do make it quite easy. Excellent decals in their newer kits. I have had some that stick to everything except the model, but not here!