Spitfire mk5 airfix 1.48

S

sponduke

After joining the site not so long ago it really has inspired me. I've seen some awesome work and I really would like to build something that is on the way to that standard. I've primed all the model and just ready to start building now. This will be the first time I have used an airbrush to paint with thanks to (Penn models, kingswinford) I'm pretty excited to be honest.

I have a few questions before I start.

1, What colour is best colour for painting skin tones?

2, Can I buy pre thinned paint for the airbrush and if so where from?

I will upload pictures as I go and any advice would be appreciated.

I really want to take my time with this build as I've been guilty in the past of rushing things and getting a sub standard end product. Hope you all like the finished model.....

Pics to follow.

Matt

F

Fenlander

Tricky one for the flesh colour. Everyone has their own idea on this but most paint suppliers do a flesh colour and, to be honest, most are not a bad place to start. I tend now to use a more sandy colour as the base rather than a pinky colour.

As for pre thinned paint, you can do a lot worse than the Vallejo Model Air. They do two main types, Model Colour which is for brush painting but can be thinned for airbrushing or the Model Air which squirts straight into the AB cup.

You can get them from our very own online shop Vallejo Model Air - Paints

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Can't answer the skin tone question as i don't know enough about figure painting but as for the pre-thinned paint. Vallejo Model Air paints are pre-thinned for use straight into the airbrush.

***N.B.*** Guess Graham answered the same time as me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

Vallejo actually do a very good skin tone and if you use a brown to create the darker tones and an ivory to do the highlights it works out quite well.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo have it covered. They do a light flesh(928) a basic skin tone(815), flat flesh(955) which is a bit darker than Basic skin tone. Dark flesh(927), sunny skin tone(845), a medium skin tone(860) which is quite dark!

These are all Model color paint numbers (in brackets) as I guess that you will be brush painting hands and faces.

Ian M

S

sponduke

Thanks for the shout on those paints. I have ordered quite a few bottles for £1.78 per colour. I have also ordered the flesh colour which is brilliant. Now I can crack on and get some building done.

I'll keep you posted.

Matt