Spray Booth (Q after reading lots of posts here!)

AFC

First Name
Andre
Hi All,

Ok, I reckon that a) too much was already said about this and b) there are lots of "out of the box" and self made booths available...

but before you shout at me, pls have a look at my question

:please:

my painting space is not too much ventilated and, specially the primer I use (Tamiya) leaves lots of smell (and I would imagine fumes too). On top of that I paint with both enamel and acrylics (no AB only a spraygun)

the more I read about booths the more confused I get. Booths like Expo Spray booth are expensive and not 100% efficient with enamels (from what I've read)...self made booths are dangerous because they might explode, it's made with a flammable the plastic box, etc etc ...so...what would be a good booth under a very limited budget?

Re self made ones...would I get rid of the explosion risk if all electric components are waterproof? a bathroom fan would be ok...I'd assume if they are in the bathroom they should be waterproof :smiling3: something like this one here would be ok? and what about the box? is it low risk if I go for a plastic one? Or can I find other alternatives?

Sorry for the long post, but I paint very occasionally so it's hard for me to spend loads of money in one booth...but on the other hand, I wouldn't like to stop painting which is the most likely with the space I have now to paint due to the poor ventilation.

Finally, yes I have a spray paint mask...but is that enough?

Sorry if I sound like paranoid :smiling:

Cheers and thanks for your help!

AC

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you asked, I will try to keep it short and answer.

A bathroom fan.... OK there is damp air and steam in a bathroom. Most bathroom fans are protected to a level that considers them safe against splashes and the such. If you want to be safer you could get away with a fan that is IP67 or 68 Thats dust tight and can be immersed in water. Chances of explosive gasses getting in are minimum. How ever if you what 110% safety, you will need a fan which is EX rated. That is suited to use in an enviroment where there can be/ are explosive gasses or vapours. At least then if you do blow the house up you can sue the makers!!

As far as making a box, My best bet would be to buy a sheet of aluminium and some piano hinges, that will give you the back and sides, and a top. As for a filter, you can also buy aluminium sheet with holes in or indeed a wire mesh. You can use that to hold a filter pad from an cooker hood to catch the paint dust.

Also worth considering is where the out let will be. Not a good idea to blow it out the work room and have it wafting up into the bedroom or living room.

In my own opinion, if you really need an extractor, buy one. As by the time you have purchased all the junk needed to build one you could of probably bought one.

Sorry do be a damp cloth.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

As paint vapours are very volatile, especially when you mix them with oxygen in a spray form and maximise the surface area for combustion, they are actually quite explosive.

Anything less than explosion proof is actually a risk, it's up to you to decide what level of risk you are happy to take. Remember as well that all other electrical fittings in the room should ideally be of the same standard and you get the idea that assessing the risk is the best way forward rather than going to the extreem. I completely agree with Ian that the purchased booths are best but you are then into what type of filters you need, should they be ventilated to an outside space etc..etc..

If you want to use bathroom fittings it must include the switch as well as everything else but I have a lamp in my bathroom that gets quite hot as do the halogens in the ceiling so using bathroom gear is no guarrantee of getting what you need.

There are booths out there now that are fairly reasonable so are worth considering and balance them against the cost of the bits you would have to buy.

AFC

First Name
Andre
Thank you for the replies...

just one more question...Besides the Expo booth, do you know any other that can be used out of the box? I paint with a window in front of me so I'd would be looking for one with an extraction tube leaving the window...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have looked at this one a few times. The Sparmax SB-88 the one at the top of the page.

Everythingairbrush Respirators & Extractors

Ian M