Spraying booth....

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am wondering if it would be worthwhile for me or an overkill.

Having a busy life with lots going on I tend to model over short periods, an hour usually, sometimes a couple of hours at a time perhaps once a day, twice maybe some days at weekends. Any airbrushing I do is a fraction of that time, I always use acrylics and I work in a large well ventilated space.

I can certainly understand the need for a spray booth for someone who airbrushes over extended periods and/or uses enamels but how important is it for someone who works the way I do? Any views.

T

tecdes

Hi Barry

I bought a booth when I started due mainly due to the fact I was using enamel & everything smelt of thinners.

Then turned to acrylics. Now I do not bother to use the booth when airbrushing. It disturbs the air & you get fine hair & particles rushing around. In all honesty I suspect it does not make much difference it is just my pedant nature.

But when cleaning the airbrush with Vallejo Airbrush Cleaner I always use the booth. I do use in the booth the glass contraption with the filter which collects the airbrush cleaner fluid & you can see the fumes from the filter being drawn out by the fan.

One advantage of the booth it does contain any over spray.

My booth was originally a recirculate through the filter type but I found this more or less useless in removing fumes. I obtained from B & Q a venting ducted set marketed for showers & fitted over the end of the the booth fan exit. Cut a hole in the garage door which I fitted with a frame in the shower set in order that you can removed the vent ducting when the door is in use (mostly never). This has provided a good extraction system

Laurie

E

Edgar Brooks

It rather depends on your environment, by that I mean whether any friends or family will have to suffer any smell, and how much overspray coats your furniture; I still have sharp memories of my mother's reaction, when she found that my bedroom furniture was white, instead of wood-coloured.

There is also a mistaken belief that enamels are lethal, and acrylics are "safe." Breathe in anything that your body can't dispose of, and you're storing up trouble for the future; whether you use/need an extraction system, or not, always wear a mask.

Edgar

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
whether you use/need an extraction system, or not, always wear a mask.Edgar
I'll second that.

Steve

W

wbk666

I made my son a spray booth for £20

1 white plastic storage box from poundstretcher

1 bathroom extractor fan and 2 metres of venting tube from an online supplier

some electrical flex and inline switch

i cut a hole in the side of the box and fitted the fan in it. connected the wires to the fan and the venting tube which he hangs out of his bedroom window when hes spraying anything.

It might not look as fancy as the shop bought ones but its cheaper and does a decent job.

It will easily fit a 1/72 lancaster in it fully built and leave room to work around it

First Name
Dave
Barry.I spend around the same amount of time modelling as you do.I havent bothered to get a spray booth.Mind you i do all my model making in a large draughty shed.But i do wear a mask whilst spraying.