SS-1 Holland Type VI

P

paulc

I am currently building a 1:24 scale model of the SS-1, the US Navy's first submarine, also known as the USS Holland, which was launched in 1898.

I'm building the sub as a cutaway on the starboard side to show the inetrnal details.

So far I have fabricated the hull and internal ribs from fiberglass, sectioned out the side and am in the process of installing the bulkheads.

I'm planning to include as details of not only the 2 cylinder engine, but the battery, the electrical panels, pumps, valves, tanks and piping runs.

Once completed, I'm planning to make a larger version of just the engine and the Whitehead torpedo as scale models in their own right.

The photos show the hull molding process. The basic blank was built up from insulating foam board from the local home improvement center.

The turning rig was attached to a variable speed drill for power and was shaped with sandpaper.

I have since redone the hull as the first one had a number of voids on the interior due to air bubbles in the fiberglass. I used a different method of turning down the foam by using a Dremel in a holder that followed a template of the hull much like a lathe duplicator or a key making machine.

View attachment 16585

View attachment 16586

View attachment 16587

View attachment 16588

View attachment 16589

View attachment 16590

View attachment 16591

Molding the Hull_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_2_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_3_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_4_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_5_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_6_Image_0001.jpg

Molding the Hull_Page_7_Image_0001.jpg

P

paulc

Length 26-1/2", diameter 5".

It was just coincidental that when I printed out the copy of the blueprints I had, the printout was almost exactly 1:24 scale which would make it a comfortable size to work with - not too large to be unwieldly and not to small to be ultra fussy when adding the interior details.