ST:TMP Drydock - larger scale

N

NemVia

Greetings Everyone!

I am starting on a New Larger Scale ST:TMP DRYDOCK made to fit the DeBoers Scale Enterprise. Right now I have most of the model blueprinted for the sections that I need for reference for when I actually start construction.

I will have a serious advantage with this build in that I was able to go see the original DRYDOCK model in person. From this I was able to make hundreds of notations and many reference pictures of this incredible miniature. On my first Drydock build I had only ST:TMP DVD as a reference and whatever photos that were floating around on the internet at the time. But now I can be as accurate as possible with this new scale. The only thing I would like to point out though is please, please do not ask me to post any of the pics that I took of the miniature. I was allowed in good faith to take the pics that I did as long as I would not publish them. So, please be considerate of this request. There will be no further discussion of this issue and private requests will be deleted. Thank you for respecting this wish.

The only thing I can assure you of is that what you see in this build will be a very accurate representation of the model. With that in mind, this last month I was able to start construction of a MASTER of one of the light panels. This will be used for mold making and YES, this time I will be casting the majority of the parts for this build. This should cut down the build time dramatically. I am going to be casting the parts in black resin to reduce the need to opaque the pieces for light leaks. I will also be trying a new kind of lighting that will reduce the need for soldering, LEDs and exposed wiring and excessive heat build up.

I have also been asked to work out some moldings and castings for another 1/350 scale drydock build. These updates will be included on the DRYDOCK LARGE SCALE page. By the next update I am hopeful to have some of the moldings done and a few of the castings ready for pics.

In the Updates for March I just have one pic of the Enterprise models in their cradle docks. These cradles make it much easier to not only move the models, but also to work on them. Shoulda finished these months ago but..... busy. Anyway, on the drydock page I have several drawings of the model-to-be's basic designs and some pics of the light panel Master. I will have more of the details added on by the next update. See you then,

Mark

Home - NemVia Productions

N

NemVia

April Updates - 2013

I have several pics in this month's update which I think are very awesome. At least for me. Continuing on with the drydock build I was able to make some molds for both the fronts and backs of the light panels. I also made a few test casts to see if they would turn out the way I wanted. I found a few things I wanted to improve on with both of the molds. I want to be able to add the lighting effects without having to add any extra parts or drill any additional holes. I'm really trying to think this build all the way through, guys. So I'll take the extra time needed so if I every build additional drydocks I will have everything in place. I've been trying to learn from my past Drydock Build which took about a year and a half to build entirely from scratch. I really never dreamed I would build another dock much less a larger version of it. But I did learn a really valuable lesson from that experience and yes, "CASTING" is going to be the way to go for a highly detailed model like these.

In other areas I've also finished making the master for the underneath of the overhead modules. I was able to do a lot of kit bashing for the detailing work. I tried to follow the basic patterns on the original filming miniature as close as possible. I tried to find pieces that resembled what was on TMP Dock. I was able to make a single piece mold for this part. I then tried casting this piece and the results were fantastic. At this posting I was able to cast 14 of the panels for one of the Docks. As I brought out in my last month's update I am casting all of the parts in Black resin. This will reduce light leaks as well as the need for spraying all of the parts Flat Black. I have several pics posted of these panels. Check them out.

Along with the bottom panels I have also finished the master for the side walls of the Modules and have begun work on the front right and front left pieces where the landing bays are. I should have these pieces completely detailed as well as molds for casting the pieces. So check out the new pics in the April Updates Page and let me know what you think. Next Month's update should be awesome as well. See you then!

Happy modeling, Mark

http://www.NemVia.com

N

NemVia

May Updates - 2013

The last month has been very productive, mainly with some massive amounts of resin casting. Since there are 2 docks being built, here are the numbers for completed casting as of this update: All 28 of the lower module panels are now cast, the 28 upper panels are finished as well. The 8 front and rear panels are finished. I've been able to cast 36 of the 56 side panels. There are 112 light panel fronts for the sides and overhead modules, so far I have 29 of those done. There are 84 rear light panel pieces and so far I've been able to do 9 of them. These take a little longer because they made with a 2 piece mold. All the other pieces are one piece mold. I've been going through a lot of resin as well. I've used 3 gallons each of Part A and Part B and I'll be ordering another 2 gallons for the rest of the parts that need to be cast.

For the rest of the work done this month I've been sanding off the excess resin from the larger pieces. I've purchased some aluminum c-channel for the framework to support all of the panel pieces. I've also been buying some steel c-channel so I can get the framework built for the model support armature and I've been looking into the metal tubing for the light panel frames that will be worked on a little ways down the road. In the meantime, I've been drilling out the mounting holes to start assembling everything. As of this update I was able to assemble at least one of the modules completely. There are some great pictures of how this looks in the MAY UPDATES page. There are 27 new pics for this update. There is still a lot of casting to do so I'll be quite busy for the next month. I can't wait to get started on the painting, but I need to get these modules finished first.

So let me know what you think of the pics. and I'll have more next month!

See you then,

Mark

Home - NemVia Productions

N

NemVia

June Updates - 2013

June Updates

This month has been a little frustrating as far as getting a lot of work done on the modules. I had a hard time finding some specific sized sheet metal screws for mounting some of the side walls. I was finally able to find what I needed and get going on the build again. I also needed to make a few new molds for some of the cast parts, mainly the outer light panel frames. I finally figured out what the problem was and was able to correct it. A word to those who are new to casting parts that have some undercuts to the parts: Make sure you use a vacuum chamber to de-gas everything even if the label says you don't need to. I've found that for de-gassing a silicon mold for about 10 minutes has made the smoothest molds for my casting purposes. It works! Believe me!

I've also had to figure out a way to make a new mold for the backs of the light panels. Although the details on the front parts of the molds came out great, I kept having problems with top edges of the sides where the front panel frame would eventually connect with it. Since this needed to be a two piece mold I was not able to evacuate all of the air bubbles even with the chamber and additional vent holes in the molds. So I decided to add a piece of styrene to the insides of the side wall frames. This would allow any bubbles to get caught in this area and then I can sand all of the excess down to where it needs to be and it will look a lot better than the other way I was trying it. Since I've never attempted any casting project of this magnitude with hollowed out parts it's all been trial and error.

On my 1/350 scale dock I didn't fully think through the top part of the modules. As I've stated before, I had never thought I would be selling that model much less building 2 larger drydocks. But the 1/350 scale version was a reminder of what I needed to do to simplify and correct some problem areas on these new ones. On the 1/350 to panels I had put some hinged access panels on the topside. I could then flip them open to fix any wiring problems. Because I made the entire model from .080 sheet styrene I found that it was not strong enough to remain squared and level when additional weight was added. Parts of the modules started to sag ever so slightly, but enough to not allow the hinged panels to close over the tops completely flat. Hence: Light leaks. This was repaired when I gave the model a facelift and corrected many of those flaws.

With this build I am using Steel and Aluminum framework as well as a much thicker module panels made from as strong resin. These modules are very sturdy and they weigh much more than the sheet styrene version.

In this month's update I worked on making the top panels of the module removable rather than hinged. I put guide screws on the insides of the wall panels, then I took some angle aluminum and cut notches into them so that the angle aluminum will slide onto the screws in the side walls. I will now be fastening the angle aluminum to the top panels from the inside. When the panels are in place they will fit into a groove that runs around the entire topside of the side walls. This will make the top panels fit snug onto the side walls and the lip that the top panels sit on will help block out any light leaks. I'd say I thought this one out a little better for this build and any other I might build in the future.

In other updates, I've added all of the front light panel frames to the lower modules so that I can begin the painting process. Although I do like the paint I used on the 1/350 scale build which was Model Master "Rust" color, I want to try an match the color a little better to the original color seen in ST:TMP. I will let you decide what you think about the new color. The pics will be in the Update by June 4th.

See you next update!

Mark

http://www.NemVia.com

N

NemVia

Hi Everyone. I finally got my PC back and all repaired so now I can add the picture updates for the last couple of months. There are 15 new pics in the September Updates page this month.

I've mainly been working on the panel frames, the anchor assembles that are seen between the panel frames and I've been casting hundreds of pieces so that I can start the assembly of all of these pieces. The castings include 980 of the anchor cones for both docks, all of the front light panel frames are now cast for both docks, and I have all but nine of the 84 back light panels finished as of this posting. I've had to sand down the bottoms of the cones as well as drill out the holes for all of the rods to fit through. The fronts and backs of all of the light panels is up next. I've had to wait on some suppliers for some more of the frame tubing and a few other parts as well. But I have been assembling the anchors together. I have 33 of them done so far. There are 107 more to do.

After these are finished I can start drilling out the holes for the tension rods on the light panels, and do some of the pre painting work to get everything ready for final assembly.

A lot of work ahead, but I'm getting closer to finishing. Keep checking for updates. Thanks for being patient while my computer was down.

See you next month.

Mark