started the 262 but.....

W

windymiller

IMG_20190416_151206933[1].jpg

well its not up to the standard of you guys but for my first build after 35 plus years im kinda happy with the finish, used mig ammo cockpit kit and the panel wash really seemed to add depth to the finish, i had a go at dry brushing the foot pedals and the little foot plate (this was the bit the carpet monster ate so i hashed in a bit of cut spru) i have tried painting the dials rather than use the decal set

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Alan,
that's looking good, the hand painted dials.switches are particularly good. Just be aware of how much will be visible after the canopy is added. It can be very galling, spending ages detailing areas, then finding you can't see them!
Dave

W

windymiller

ta dave was a bit confuzed with the contents of the ammo set those being a panel wash and a dark grey filter wasnt sure how to apply or in which order :flushed: also for some of the small bits do you guys just brush paint straight from the box or would you brush paint primer then over paint ??

W

windymiller

its only through asking you guys and watching you tube clips id be glueing it together with pva otherwise lol :smiling4:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
its only through asking you guys and watching you tube clips id be glueing it together with pva otherwise lol :smiling4:
I met a chap at a show once, who told me he uses PVA, and if he finds a build particularly enjoyable, he soaks it in water so it comes apart, so he can build it again!
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That cockpit is looking very good, especially for the first kit in decades :smiling3:

W

windymiller

so the ammo mig cockpit washes are enamel based, bearing in mind i like to buy larger bottles that may have a number of future uses, what enamel thinners would you guys recomend ?? vms seems to keep appearing ???

Last edited by a moderator:
W

windymiller

so ive done the undercarriage but now need to prime the fusealge etc, ordered some oils and thinners to have a go at making some washes :rolling: have to say building, chatting researching etc has been so helpfull as i lost mum two weeks ago :disappointed:

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so ive done the undercarriage but now need to prime the fusealge etc, ordered some oils and thinners to have a go at making some washes :rolling: have to say building, chatting researching etc has been so helpfull as i lost mum two weeks ago :disappointed:

Sorry to hear that Alan, I know how it feels and know what you are going through. I lost both of my parents last October within 2 days of each other. My mojo took a nosedive immediately, but I found the banter and camaraderie on this forum does help. Mojo is on a gradual return keep tinkering with a Marder that I had as a present over a year ago!!!!

Cockpit looks good from that angle, keep it coming :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Paul.
:smiling2:

W

windymiller

my son has homework to recreate venus so we ended up buying a pepper pig ball and airbrushing it with ump grey primer today !!! i went on to spray the inside of the fuselage but struggle with grey on grey, does anyone use white or black primer at all ??

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
my son has homework to recreate venus so we ended up buying a pepper pig ball and airbrushing it with ump grey primer today !!! i went on to spray the inside of the fuselage but struggle with grey on grey, does anyone use white or black primer at all ??
I use black and white depending on the finish I want. Being a long time war gamer I've used Games Workshop rattle cans for the black and white and use Halfords plastic primer if I need grey.

W

windymiller

thought id update as ive had a go with the airbrush but will post a "help" in the airbrush section lol, "after" i found the ump primer should be used with a 0.4mm needle :flushed: i got on really well with spraying it but in trying the pre shading of the panel lines ran into a bit of difficulty as i went back to the 0.2mm needle, i then reverted back to the 0.4 needle to spray the underside but i dont know if i sprayed it to many times or the pre shading wasnt defined enough but well maybe im just being too self critical on my first build :rolling: IMG_20190506_175734376[1].jpg

W

windymiller

so talking to the guys on the live e models you tube chanel last night and they suggested the 0.4mm needle should be my go to needle and keep the 0.2 for very fine work, the first camo scheme i tried i was using the 0.2mm needle and kinda gave up and changed it to a simpler one as shown, i have the fuselage left to do then gloss varnish etc, considering its my first build in 34 years and first time of using an airbrush im kinda pleased with it so far and the most important thing is im enjoying it !!! IMG_20190521_165533385[1].jpg

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've got a good tip for finding tiny bits on a smooth floor like wood or lino, if you've got a powerful torch like one of those million candle power things get down on your hands and knees and shine the torch along the floor and the beam will pick up all the little imperfections including your missing part. I've used this trick successfully several times.

or walk around bare foot ... you'll find it in no time at all ..(just like a random lego brick)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
so talking to the guys on the live e models you tube chanel last night and they suggested the 0.4mm needle should be my go to needle and keep the 0.2 for very fine work, the first camo scheme i tried i was using the 0.2mm needle and kinda gave up and changed it to a simpler one as shown, i have the fuselage left to do then gloss varnish etc, considering its my first build in 34 years and first time of using an airbrush im kinda pleased with it so far and the most important thing is im enjoying it !!! View attachment 342037

I've got to say that is looking 'well sharp'.. very nice indeed, i love the soft edge you've got on the side of the fuselage, damned spot on to my eyes.. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: