Starting kit !!!

J

Joaquim

Hi, I'm new at this world, in your opinion which kit would be the best option for a newbie ?

My areas of interest are: Sci- Fi, airplanes, WWII, cars.

I have been looking but I have no perception of the level of difficulty on most kits, so suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for the time spent with this.

N

noble

Hi there and welcome the friendliest forum ever, can you tell us what scale you had in mind? For Sci fi might I suggeSt warhammer 40k vehicle kits I've just started building these so I can tell you they are most excellent. I might also suggest armour kits in 1/35 scale cars and air craft are not really my cup of tea you mIghtfield need to ask some of the others guys and gals for that.

scott

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Joaguim , there are a range of airfix starter kits available in tanks aircraft and cars and quite reasonably priced , sci-fi can be exspencive for quite easy kits but revells range of Battlestar Galactica kits are nice easy and quite affordable be sure to get the Revell kits and not mobeus kits , there are the same kits but revell is cheeper :smiling3:

J

Joaquim

Thanks for the input guys, this is really a friendly forum, I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Thanks you very much Alan & Scott.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I agree with Alan ........ I'm just starting on the Revell Viper MKII ....... That'd be a good start for you. Not too many parts and painting for the standard livery will be a breeze ....... I picked mine up for £ 18.99 on evilbay.......

Peter

J

Joaquim

Are there any differences between the Revell and Moebius version ?

Where would be the best place to know the paint color codes needed ?

Thanks for your time guys.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Are there any differences between the Revell and Moebius version ?Where would be the best place to know the paint color codes needed ?

Thanks for your time guys.
There is no difference in the model at all , revell do what's called a rebox and charge £10 less than mobeus for the same kit and the paint numbers are in the instructions so you will know which ones to buy :smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
The Moebus and Revell kits are identical ......... Same Mould. The Revel Kits tend to be cheaper........... and I've heard that the Moebus kit doesn't come with the pilot figure (although I can't confirm that) ........ I don't know if you ever buy from "evilbay" but item 131403537013 is a good buy at £ 18.99 post free

Peter

J

Joaquim

Thanks guys, what about the best place to find out the right materials for each kit ?

Thanks.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Thanks guys, what about the best place to find out the right materials for each kit ?Thanks.
The full Revell paint list is ................

White Semis Gloss

Aluminium Metallic

Grey Semi Gloss

Black Semi Gloss

Clear Gloss

Steel Metallic

Red Clear

Silver Metallic

Matt Black

Gloss Black

Gold Metallic

Olive Green

Brown Semi Gloss

Copper Metallic

Purple Red Semi Gloss

Fire Red Semi Gloss

You don't necessarily have to use Revell paint ........... Humbrol or Tamiya do equivalents......... Have a word with John in the shop........ He'll sort you out with the right stuff............. http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/

Peter

View attachment 97919

DSCN0892.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
That is perfect, thanks for the time spent with these issues.
No problem buddy .............. Glad to be of help.

Peter

M

Mike

If you're really really new, I would highly recommend keeping it simple and get a Spitfire Starter kit: http://www.airfix.com/shop/spitfire/supermarine-spitfire-mkia-starter-set-1-72.html

And follow the YouTube video:

You can get a decent model out of it (the paints it comes with are a PIA, but follow the instructions and you'll get there). If at the end you decided it's too much faff, you've only spent £7!!

J

Joaquim

Fantastic Mike, thanks to all of you, will come back when have my first one ready, you guys rock.