StD's Trenchworks / Warlord Churchill AVRE carpet Layer Type 'D' 28mm

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, I've started a collection of Churchills in 28mm, and I've a couple of Hobart's 'Funnies', so, while other projects are 'waiting' (for paint and varnish and glue to dry) thought I'd do a quick build

IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG
The Tenchworks 'Bobbin', available from Warlord, is a Type 'D' Carpet Layer on a Mk,.IV AVRE Chassis. The kit is resin with 3D printed parts. The transfer sheet, available separately, is for the 79th Division, commanded by Percy Hobart, covering the 'Funnies'; all the weird engineering vehicles developed for D-Day
The carpet layer was intended to cover the soft clay patches on the Normandy beaches

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So, I was going to see how quick I can get this together. It would have been an hour, except for an annoying hitch, of which more in a bit
IMG_3038.JPG
Hull and tracks together, Hull MG and AVRE frames added. There are two printed blocks that fit in the front hull, probably for the option of a crab or Bridgelayer variant?
And herein is the first problem
IMG_3042.JPG
The instructions clearly show to add the frame mounts, but they don't show on the parts list. This is because you DON'T fit them as the 'Bobbin' frames have them already fitted. So, I had to break them back off again!
Which is a right pain as they're nice and useful pieces. Obviously, they used a generic panel in the instructions!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The turret has a very nicely printed petard as separate piece. Compare though with my other 3D printed AVRE turret, from my in progress bridgelayer (which was the first Churchill I got in this scale, and set me on this dark path...)
IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3039.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG
I'll probably fill around the two hull blocks. Which I should have added BEFORE I stuck on the tracks, so I had to cut off the mounting blocks! More haste less speed!

Last edited:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Right. With the mounting plates removed, the 'Bobbin' frame is on!

IMG_3044.JPG
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3046.JPG
Add on the wading gear, and we're about done!

IMG_3047.JPGIMG_3048.JPG
And just for size
IMG_3051.JPG
I've left off the turret hatches for now because I'm kind of in two minds about adding a crew.
Most of the vehicles operated on the beaches appear to have been buttoned down, but with the blinkin' great roll in front, no-one aboard can see where they're going. AVRE fascine carriers usually had the commander sitting on top of the bundle to see ahead, but you couldn't with this beast.
So, for a crew, I may have to say it's the run-up to the day

Also, one of only about two photos I can find shows the hull MG covered with waterproofing. So, maybe I'll depict it being prepped. I have a set of seated and standing Brit tankies, 3D printed, but they'll need a little surgery
Hopefully, I can also find an appropriate Census number too...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Chris

That's brilliant! Great work so far!

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's gone together nicely. Looks really good especially for such a small scale.

Reactions: JR

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
LOL!!!! Well I'm sure you started on the 5th of June somewhere in the universe!

A great little build though, you've done a nice job of getting that together.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
What a shame, that would have been a great addition to the group build :sad-face:

If you’ve got any other “Funnies” in the stash feel free to join in on/after the 5th June :thumb2:

Geoff.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
What a shame, that would have been a great addition to the group build :sad-face:

If you’ve got any other “Funnies” in the stash feel free to join in on/after the 5th June :thumb2:

Geoff.
We-ell, there is that bridgelayer... but that's already started... Oh well

• Sad

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Okay, so, as I COMPLETELY jumped the gun on this one (the weather, moon and tide all aligned early!), I've not posted any more of this until the Day. Today. Just not at H-Hour

And it's finished, so there will be a few more pics over in a completed thread
IMG_3055.JPG
Crew figures are proper proportion 28mm 3D prints from 3djson on eBay
IMG_3057.JPG
Light absorbing Halfords black undercoat
IMG_3060.JPG
The bow plate is missing the tow-hook, so here's the addition
IMG_3079.JPG
Overall spray of olive drab before modifying, weathering and adding the cabling to the wading ducts
IMG_3080.JPG
An overall wash of Green-violet, to bring the colour closer to 'British' olive drab (SCC15), which is a bit more green than US. Markings are Warlord 79th Armoured Division
And so to completion...

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Chris, Hobart was a clever guy alright.