Straining paint for airbrush use

T

T. van Vuuren

Do any of you lads strain out any "particles" from paint before airbrushing?

I found todat that I had to keep stripping and cleaning my brush as the humbrol paint I used was a little old and had fine particles in it that looked like very fine sand.

What do you use to strain the old paint? The strainers I use for the full size spraygun is to big and I recon the mesh is also to big at 190 micron anyway.

Theuns

F

Fenlander

Odd that you should bring this up. I am currently having quite a problem with blockages like this and am trying to think up a solution that will not waste too much paint. I suppose a filter using fine mesh tights or stocking material will be best as it will not absorb much paint but there will be losses. However, filtered paint will save more in the long run as blockages wastes it to.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It helps a lot if you mix and thin the paint in a shallow tray. Leave it for a few seconds and any crud falls to the bottom. Take the paint from the dish with a soft paint brush and you should be able to avoid the brush sucking the crud up with the paint.

But yes its ¤##%%¤" annoying when you have to keep stripping down.

Ian M

M

m1ks

I used to use the large enamel tins of matte white as a primer, (considerably cheaper at about £2.50 a pot several times the size of a tinlet.

But eventually this happens to them, (must be the volume of air in the larger tin?)

I use a filter from an oil filler funnel, (little disc shaped mesh insert) and have also used part of an old pair of tights, (with wifes permission) :smiling3:

With the tights i had to pour, and 'wiggle' the paint through as it's quite thick so took a while, if it's a common colour and not an OOP one then you'd likely be as well off just gettin a new one to be honest, i just use the tinlets for primer now.

T

T. van Vuuren

You are correct about getting "new" paint, but how many times has it happened that you charge up the comp and get everything sorted just to see the problem as you press the trigger and not much happens.It does not take big particles to block the brush.

But then it is just poor prep from my side I guess............

Theuns

M

m1ks

I guess some of that depends on how you prepare the paint, I always mix my paint and thinners in a pot first then decant to the AB, I also load the paint in with a paintbrush rather than pouring it as it prevents dribble messes and as a result lump spotting is easier.

E

Edgar Brooks

Don't use old tights; bite the bullet and buy a new pair, just for yourself (your friends will understand.) However efficient your washing machine might be, there's always a chance that small flakes of dried skin are caught in the mesh, just waiting to mix in with your paint. I've always made a point of mixing a complete, new, tinlet, every time, using an old film cassette (remember them?) holder. This ensures that any lumps sink to the bottom, and the container is small enough to pour directly into the airbrush cup.

Edgar

T

T. van Vuuren

I find that using a drinking straw to suck up the mixed paint works well to get it into the AB pot.Just don't suck to hard, humbrol tastes awfull!

I recon my last paint problem was purely just old paint.

Theuns