Stug fest 2019, the beginning of a true legend

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I few have asked about my Stug luv, I think if you asked modellers, people interested in WW11 to name tanks/armoured vehicles they would usually say (in no order)

Tiger/king Tiger, Sherman ,T34. Panther etc but little said about one of the most deadly tank hunters in history the Sturmgeschutz 111, about 20,000 kills or so and in production from 1937 - 1945!

I have a wide interest in history from the middle ages to WW11, battleships to the SS and I have a large library on these subjects especially the SS / Waffen SS but by far the Stug dominates my book collection. I have always liked its mean looks, low down, great ambush vehicle but not as glamorous as a Tiger and not a pretty thing lol.

So for a few good years I have spent hours reading about them so although I bet a few on the sight know more about the Stug I know a thing or two or even three (should do)!!!

So here goes, lets make a small start

In the mid 1930’s German infantry officers supported by von Manstein wanted to find a way of mounting artillery to support the infantry on vehicles. The time it took to set up towed artillery guns was a major problem with the new blitzkrieg ideas. Coupled with their experience of WW1 they wanted an armoured vehicle to work with the infantry to take out obstacles such as pill box’s and other fortifications. Unlike British tactics where infantry tanks moved at the pace of the infantry (slow) The German infantry advanced at the support vehicles pace, much faster. The recently developed Pz 111 was selected for the prototype and the Ausf B was used. The design called for the use of the short barrelled L24 gun, this was use then fitted to the Pz IV with limited movement; remember the Stug was not originally designed as a tank hunter! The vehicle had to have a very low height, this was in the original plans as it must be not be taller than a standing man! Originally it was to have an open body but this was dropped as it offered poor protection for the crew.

A total of 5 were made by Daimler Benz and completed by 1937, these were made out of soft steel, so not for combat. These went on to develop the Sturmgeschutz or assault gun theory. They where used as driver training vehicles, the last know use was in 1941 in Juterbog (home of the Stug).

As you can see the Stug was born and is easily recognised even as a prototype when compared with the other later versions, but by far the biggest difference was the running gear. The Pz 111 B running gear was a very complicated leaf spring suspension with lots of linkages and would have been a nightmare in the field, it would be dropped to the much more recognised torsion bar system.

The two round hatches were for inspection and dropped, remember not armoured

I do hope this is of interest to you chaps, if not please let me know!! I cry easily though lol

Feedback would be important, please

Thanks bob

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'll be watching this Bob. Even though i'm a wingy thing bloke i still like to think about doing a tank one day

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Bob I'm not a expert on Stug's but didan't Krupp, MAN, and Rheinmetall also produced prototypes I know Daimler-Benz was chosen for production and I also thought it was ten, two were unarmed. I'm probably wrong.
Very interesting keep it comimg.
Pete

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I shall grab a seat quickly for this one as this is one vehicle I know nothing about, so comfy seat and note book ready.

D

Deleted member 7181

In early as I don't want to miss this.

As another that knows very little about these the background is interesting.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Count me in chair pulled up. Starting off with a nice history.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hooooorah!! We are off and running. Cant wait to see which one you choose first. I did the F8 in North Africa which got me hooked on these things. Good luck!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Most welcome Al to the world of the Stug!

Hi Pete, as far as i know, DB where the only company chosen as they were developing the Pz 111 so easy to select complete Pz B hulls from the DB factory. Again as far as i know 5 built and all armed but unarmoured.

I am no expert and others will know more and always open to questions Pete. Lots i do not know but plenty of books to check with!

Welcome aboard my obsession Mick

Hi Paul, ask away.

Scottie delighted to have you watching

Hi Steve. Already built the the prototype O and its in primer. Will post tomorow. Also built the first A, second A version to start, will explain the differences between them soon. Then will build in order

Not sure weather to build as new or weathered????

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Bob found these but you probably know or seen this all before if so sorry.

The Krupp MKA prototype for the Pz.III series. This was not adopted,but features from it were later used in the Pz.IV.

Munition / Recovery Panzer III

Converted from obsolescent Panzers III Ausf. H, J's and possible some other versions. The munitionpanzer III was a far simpler conversion. Basically a large wire frame "cap" that fitted over the turret ring that was in turn covered by a canvas tarp. It was by no means a grenade net because of the large spaces in the frame. Two handles were located on the insite to facilitate lifting the "cap".

Minenraumer III

Panzer III Railway version

Panzer III Unterwasser-Tauchpanzer
The Tauchpanzer was based on Pz.Kpfw. Ausf. F,G,H and PzBef Ausf E

Panzer III / IV Bridgelayer

Russian SU-762 on Panzer III Chassis
The command version of SU-76i SP gun based on captured German tank chassis

Pete.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
No need at all to be sorry Pete

Many new too me! You can see the Pz IV in the pics

Many thanks for posting very interesting photos!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob well it looks like your stug thread is off to a flyin start keep it up boyo i'll be following with all the guys
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Sitting and watching. Sure to learn a thing or two.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening Jim
Not sure about the learning lol

Should be fun!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sat down watching Bob, I'd be interested in a Stug GB if you get it started. Never built one before.

D

Deleted member 7237

No need at all to be sorry Pete

Many new too me! You can see the Pz IV in the pics

Many thanks for posting very interesting photos!
Hi your most welcome, just didn't want to gatecrash your your build thread. You're more of an expert on these than I will ever be I've seen the pictures of your library on the subject though saying that I've got four or five books off as well.
Pete.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a problem Pete

welcome papa, al god fun

Here's the competed Miniart Stug O series, its in dark grey primer. Not a enjoyable build, the small parts are well moulded but on thick sprue gates which meant either risking breaking the part or damaging it when trying to clean it up

Just noticed that the tracks are upside down, bugger!!!!!

stug O 001.JPG
stug O 002.JPG
stug O 003.JPG
stug O 004.JPG

Above you can the complex suspension, multi leaf spring, side mounted dampers and linkage arms. Imagine repairing that in the field!!

Next stop is decals, tools, exhausts then matt varnish, not going to weather it

Last edited:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just to add, some early Stugs were not just dark grey but had brown patches. Will do some research and might do this one in scheme?? As pics are b/w can be hard to see

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
That's a great build. is this one of the unarmoured prototypes.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Scottie, yes O series.

The 2nd photo hopefully shows the 2 round hatches on the front plate. These had no armour