Sub Buoy

A

ajg141

Came across an article on the internet telling you how to make a sub buoy from balsa, a 5-volt flashing LED attached to a 1.5K ohm resistor, various springs and washers plus a battery. As I don't know the first thing about electronics can anyone tell me what voltage the battery should be? I did ask the store where I bought the LEDs but they were a bit bemused and wondered why a resistor should be necessary at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

G

George

Sub Bouy

Came across an article on the internet telling you how to make a sub buoy from balsa, a 5-volt flashing LED attached to a 1.5K ohm resistor, various springs and washers plus a battery. As I don't know the first thing about electronics can anyone tell me what voltage the battery should be? I did ask the store where I bought the LEDs but they were a bit bemused and wondered why a resistor should be necessary at all. Any help would be appreciated.Andrew
Andrew, Don't confuse your self any more or you can end up like Alister :blow:

A

adzam

andrew i would think somewhere between 3 and 6 volts,try an experiment furst with 2 AA batteries an see what happens , brightness etc.

A

ajg141

Thanks Adzam. Just going out to the garage to try it. If you see a red glow over the West of Edinburgh you'll know that a) either it worked or b) I've blown the garage up (again!)

Andrew

A

ajg141

Eureka! It works Adzam! Tried the 2xAA batteries and then moved up to 6v. Everything fine. Now all I've got to do is get the bits inside a piece of turned balsa and I'll have no more worries. Huh!

Thanks again Adzam.