Submarines

P

periscope

Hi Everyone - just joined the Forum. My interest is in submarines, mainly and I'm looking for advice on what is a good beginners model to get me on the water (or under it) Thanks in advance.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Hi Periscope welcome to the forum, I'm sure there will be someone here that can help you :smiling3:

A

adzam

lo and welcome mate,

i know there are a few members here with sub experience.

good to have here mate

Adz..

N

noobee captain

Hi periscope, welcome.

I have looked around (as a newbie myself) and found the Deep Dive VI seemed to be a good entry level.

Anyone out there with experience of it?

K

kaliam

If you want a good starters sub I would go with the Trumpeter Kilo Class Sub. Very good for begginers.

S

sonparc

Hi Periscope

I have just started my first sub - the Robbe U 2540. This is my fourth Robbe kit and I think it is a help to have built some of their other stuff to know how they think.Even so I currently am not sure from the instructions which way up a part goes but I expect it will become clear before it is too late!

Good luck with whatever you go for.

Sonparc

S

Screw Loose

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Subs :dancing1:

I am onto my 5th sub now and still a gluten for punishment I still love building and flying them.

I started off with a Robbe U47. Pretty reasonable priced kit, with good buildings and schematics. I found that it was pretty stable and handled well in the water. Plus if your really keen you can convert it to a static diver with a piston tank. I did that with mine and it works pretty well.

But what kit I suppose it depends on what you want. I dont know if you have had much experience of subs, so please dont think I am being cheeky here, but theres the Dynamic diving, where the boat has a slight positive bouyancy so the motors have to push it under with the forward hydroplanes. Acts like a porpois in the water.

Then theres the static divers. Those are like streamline boats, Darnell ( Metcalf mouldings ) boats or Engel boats. They use Piston tanks, or ballast balloons to inflate or displace water. But they are true subs and have the advantage of being able to dive on the spot without movement.

Also depends on how much you want to spend. I think my U47 was about £300 ? The Metcalf mouldings Royal Navy "T" Class was about £500 ish and my Engel Typhoon was about £1200 all in. If she ever knew she would go mental!:grinball2:

I would start with a Robbe U47, or if your feeling adventurous get any Engel kit, there (in my opinion) one of the best about.

But whichever you choose there are a few of us on here have them or building them and always here to help if we can. I have a thread on here for my typhoon which i am building. Have a look, see if the Engels interest you.

Good luck:regards:

Paul

S

subzero

Robbe XX1

Hello Sonparc and welcome.

The Robbe XX1 nice kit, here hopefully are a couple of pics of the one I built last year. Hope you find them OK :regards: Sub

View attachment 7911

View attachment 7910

View attachment 7909

/monthly_2008_02/57272b73a8ec2_DSCF0051(Small).JPG.89af59ba17b503824de6dba6bf8cd9c3.JPG

/monthly_2008_02/57272b73a8178_DSCF0017(Small).JPG.8507ae67ede2869e7bea820ae44fbca3.JPG

/monthly_2008_02/57272b73a71ef_DSCF0014(Small).JPG.89a4df6ff97e2fe43a6e13e4c785a372.JPG

View attachment 15978

View attachment 15979

View attachment 15980

DSCF0014 (Small).JPG

DSCF0017 (Small).JPG

DSCF0051 (Small).JPG

S

sonparc

Hi Subzero

Thanks for your pics- your boat looks very good.I have not yet looked into the painting as I am a long way from that - have you used the colours Robbe specify and where did you get them please? How is the performance on the water(and under!)

Best regards

Sonparc

V

Vantage

Vantage

Hello everyone, another newbee to this site.

My main interest is submarines. I started years ago by buying hulls (Eden Los Angeles and Alpha) then ran out of cash and space! I'm back on the scene but wow has the world moved on! Even the hamster powering my wooden radio set is a mere skeleton.

Please could you help with this one: I need a new radio set for my latest sub and don't know what to buy. I need at least 6 channels. Are the 2.6GH the thing ( do they work underwater)......?

M

Mankster

That will be 2.4 ghz, and no, they are no good under water. Stick to 40 Mhz. any pictures of your subs?

S

subzero

Welcome

Mankster is spot on 2.4 GHZ won't penetrate water in afraid. 40 megs only.

What subs do you run, any pics ?:regards: sub.