Success, failier rate

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I've been going through my builds over the last 2 yrs and I've discovered I have about a 50 % success rate (this is based on what I consider a good build or a rubbish or shelved build) I then tried to analyse what went wrong on the kits I ruined and that is 100% painting problems. Now what that tells me is my painting techniques are rubbish and I need to pay a lot more attention to that. I'm interested to know what other people think their success failier rate is and what they think they need to work on.I'm hoping this will be a useful thread and will help people to see their weaknesses. Obviously this will only work if we're honest. I would like people to give hints and tips on my painting and we could do the same for otheres who identify there weaknesses.

D

dubster72

I'm not sure that if half of your builds being 'bad' in your eyes means that your painting skills are rubbish Ken. A 50% success rate would indicate that your skills are at least average?

And also, the ones you feel aren't up to scratch might be fine for someone else. It's very much a matter of personal interpretation.

Look at some of the built models that are sold on eBay. Many that I consider to be very good don't make much money. Others that I see as poor sell for a high price - go figure!

I think we're probably all guilty of starting kits & then losing interest. Lots of mine go though that, but I don't consider it a failure. I've only ever binned one model, due to its terrible fit problems.

G

GazB

Mine are all due to painting too but I'd hazard a guess most peoples are.

The percentage is tougher though - It depends on how hard on yourself you are - My wife has always said i'm my own worst critic and I now see why.

I used to make exclusively 1/48 aircraft. About 3 years ago I decided I was missing out on some of the very big aircraft because you couldn't get them in 1/48 so I switched to 1/72.

Because i'm a bit obsessional this meant I had to get rid of all my 1/48's and start again. and i'd never really been happy with any of them - I could pick faults in all of them.

Horrified - my son took them all, he wouldn't let me bin them. - I then took a break for a couple of years to build a model railway and have only just come back and started to build in 1/72

To get to the point and stop rambling I recently saw all the 1/48's after a couple of years and was amazed at how good they are. If someone else had made them I would be saying what a good modeller the person who'd built them was.

I now get opinions from my family and try to go easy on myself.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think it is impossible to build a model that you will be 100% happy with. I've never built one in which some little something (at least) hasn't worked out exactly as I'd like. Having said that, I am still happy, overall, with the result of all the models I have built in recent years. I find I forget the little photo etch lever that only I know is missing and am content to view the model as a whole.

If I ever build one with which I'm 100% happy I'll let you know.....and give up the hobby :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I agree with Steve, no one will ever be 100% with any model. I have a couple that I am really happy with and a few that I quite like but considering the number I have built, I would say that I am happy with about 10% of what I have started.  Note 'started' because a fair number of kits get binned before they get finished.  in fact, only last week I binned four kits because I knew they would never get finished, one aircraft and three armour.  I am also in the process of clearing out old builds from my display cabinets which means another dozen or so will hit the bin this week.

I have no sentiment for completed builds and very often, I will look back on one I was pleased with only to find it is a pile of junk.  The recently finished SdKfz251 UHU is a classic case.  At the time I thought the build and the diorama was OK but the more I look at it, the more it annoys me as the diorama base is pathetic really, very toy like, and the UHU is very poorly finished.

To me though, it really doesn't matter I just enjoy trying to build them.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
With you on the sentiment Graham. I'm about to dispose of another bunch of models, space is limited and I've had my fun from them. I used to keep quite a few older ones in the loft, but not now...they've all gone.

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have seen your builds Ken and have seen a vast improvement in building, scratch making and painting and finish over the years.We are all critical with our builds, I have seen a build at a show that I thought looked amazing, chipping, weathering, build quality all top drawer modelling and yet one of my pieces got a second place above this-I entered it for fun but was amazed. It goes to show you that you never know what others see in your builds. I am a lazy modeler, cannot always be bothered with filler or pristine paint jobs-hence the wrecks-a cop out really as it is easy for me to knacker than try and do nice.

One thing I have noticed with your builds is that you have a go at all subjects or ideas, it may not doesn't always work-like mine and many others but that is part of the fun of plastic bashing. 

I have said it before: there are 10% of modelers on this site that I would consider 'experts' they create amazing builds and finishes. 90% are just like you and me, trying to get ideas to work and look for inspiration in others and ideas just to try and get better in our hobby.

You keep building Ken, you're not rubbish by any standard as are any of us, just at different levels and we are all still learning.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Mine are more the ground work , filling , removing seems and such , I'm not always completely happy with a paint job but I'm happy with what I turn out 

from what I've seen of your work Ken is it's pretty good 

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I enjoy it for what it is. Certainly I am nowhere near what i want at the result. Often when you look at a model a year or two later you can't recall the issues you had and it looks good.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
I'm never 100% happy with anything I've ever done modelling wise :/  and always feel someone else could have done better but as I look at my models from a few years ago on my return to the hobby and I can see a slow gradual improvement which is just enough to keep my interest. I think you have to take into consideration the quality of the kit and the paints that you use as both of these will have a big impact on the result. Also if I'm trying something out of my comfort zone I'll go watch tutorials and maybe get a few books on techniques and practice before I actually try new things on my current build. If I mess something up I'll always see it through and not shelve it as fighting your way back will make you better equipped for next time. I buy lots of cheap kits to practice on and when I feel I'm ready I'll perhaps buy one of those beautiful £100 1/32  Tamiya kits. We all have knock backs and finished models that sit at the back of the shelf not the front. So just like me keep practising and improving and let's face it if we were perfect they'd be nowhere to go improvement wise I mean look at the England football team!  :S :ph34r:  

good luck Ken...... 

Cheers john 

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have to agree with Steve and Graham, I don't think any of us are 100% happy with our builds.  There is always something that we think could have been better:  We all learn from our own mistakes and each other and try to improve for the next build.

I have to say most kits I am reasonably happy with despite their faults.

I think the paintwork is the nearly always the perceived problem as this is the last thing done and often very little can be done about it.  During construction problems can generally be over come with a little scratchbuilding or filler (unless it is so bad it is binned prior to completion).

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

my one is due to finishing techniques, eg. washes, gloss/flat varnishes etc.

I trash about every 4th model- I trashed my recent Ta 152, and the last one before that was a 1/32 Dragon Bf 110  >:sad:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I know my stuff will never be 100% right / perfect, whatever. Simply because such a goal is impossible to attain by anyone on this planet. If a person thinks their effort perfect, then they are fools...and rather conceited.

Me? I just open the box. Enjoy the build. Do my best....Perfection? Nah! who cares? I just have fun.......

M

Mooks

I started the hobby back when I sat on my grandfathers knee and we built a Skyhawk one summer. Loved it. I went from there too building my own planes and hanging them from my bedroom ceiling. I once won an award from Air cadets competition!

I had a protracted break due to adulthood getting in the way but i am back now after noticing over Christmas that Airfix had a great sale and I bought a Merlin. That Helicopter flew me out to my FOB so I thought I would start building again to fill my quiet evenings once my kids were in bed. 

Gladly due to the modern kits, that build has been great! Lovely scale and suits my painting style. Matt colours, forgiving weathering and great decals. I have learnt some new techniques and really enjoyed myself again. 

From there my wife bought me a little revell 1/720 USS Intrepid. This has been a bitch to paint! Small fiddly details and my weathering is too large. I cant seem to get any depth or definition into it. I am hoping that once the planes get on the deck it detracts from the rest of the hull.

Learning from both projects I will be moving on to the new tool Airfix 1/72 Skyhawk. it will tie it all nicely together with it's Intrepid markings and a nod to where it all started.I have already looked at different washes to pick out the lovely panel details and injecting a little character on the smaller scale. Depending on how well this goes my next project will either be the Hasegawa 1/48 Apache (Kit bashed into a UK model from the Revell sprue, Never building Revell again unless the reviews are highly positive) or the 1/48 Kitty Hawk F-35B if I can find the UK decals. The Apache is my comfort zone but I would like to tax myself on the details on the Lightnings markings. the 2 tone greys could be awkward.

I cant see me ever scrapping a project or considering it a failure. Failures are just learning experiences. The only problem I have is what to do with them once I have finished? The Merlin might go in my office at work?

M

Mark P

I have learnt from everyone on here that being the modeller I strive for perfection BUT i will never achieve it! People will look at your models but without such a crucial eye as its only you that knows that the tiny little piece that cant be seen is not to your standard. Having learnt that I am now more chilled and that in its own right will help you be a better modeller. Today for example I have tried to gloss some wheels but it didn't go right so in the end they are now matt finished and looking at the complete model they look better.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all thanks for the kind words, I'm not seeking perfection. I know thats impossible, that's why I said good, rubbish, shelved, the thing I noticed was my models weren't improving, they were getting progressively worse which is why the 32 ford and the Camaro are being done oob, if I succeed in not ruining either of them I may go back and attempt detailing them. 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi all thanks for the kind words, I'm not seeking perfection. I know thats impossible, that's why I said good, rubbish, shelved, the thing I noticed was my models weren't improving, they were getting progressively worse which is why the 32 ford and the Camaro are being done oob, if I succeed in not ruining either of them I may go back and attempt detailing them. 

I agree with you ken, have noticed a few of builds taking a step backwards regarding finish, even my rusty knackered ones. Not sure if it down to patience-lack of-or pain due to illness-or both. I have noticed recently a definite lack of enthusiasm to build or finish a project. My RC tanks are one point, got 90% of the bits but just cannot be bothered-the Battle Droid was a filler piece while waiting for parts but that was a lack luster affair, tanks bits arrived and I primed, then gave one top coat and just left them.

Finding modelling a bit tedious at the moment, go to the shed and just sit for a while and come back in. I think attitude also helps define the finish, you know you can do it, I have seen your builds and detailing is not something that you mess up on a regular basis so maybe, like me, your mojo has dipped, then your confidence takes a hit when a few builds start to show signs that there not as good-then it can get worse. I think building OOB is a good way of just getting on with it, hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi Si I can imagine from what you've been through lately your mojo has slipped, I hope you get some sort of relief soon then you can get back to it.