Sukhoi Su 9 Fishpot - cold war interceptor

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all heres one thats crept under the radar - The Sukhoi Su 9 Fishpot . This is the 1/72 Unda of moldova kit and I picked this up for £2 at the Cosford show in april, minus box or decals. This aircraft was the same layout as the mig 21 , a single engined tailed delta , but was slightly larger and purely missile armed. Whats amazing is that this significant aircraft (over 1100 produced , and only ever serving with the soviet air force) has been totally ignored by all the mainstream manufacturers , there only being 2 or 3 injected kits ever made. I didnt bother with a build log as it was fairly uneventful , only needing minor corrections to the accuracy . Heres the pics , comments ,criticisms welcome , cheers tony

View attachment 51890

View attachment 51891

View attachment 51892

View attachment 51893

View attachment 51894

View attachment 51895

View attachment 51896

View attachment 51897

View attachment 51898

View attachment 51899

P1110075 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110076 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110077 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110079 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110080 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110081 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110082 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110083 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110084 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110086 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

C

CDW

2 quid?...not bad... not bad at all mate.

turned out great hasn't it ..... love that head on shot :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now thats a crackin' build Tony and a bargain at two quid.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There is some thing about the early Russian jets that is appealing. I dont know what as they are the epitome of function over form.

A nice job as well Tony.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I've seen young Tony shopping at a couple of shows. If you want to know why it's always hard to get to see the boxes of remnants and scrap kits, it's 'cos Tony's crouched over 'em looking for bargains like this! What a little gem this one's turned out to be. Nice one Tony and I'll add ***** to your collection.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great Tony.

In a dazzling display of ignorance about cold war aircraft might I say that supeficially it reminds me of the good old EE Lightning.

"Fishpot".....who thinks these names up?

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for the great comments,and thanks dave for the stars! Im glad i got hold of one (and at such a good price!) ,its a very seldom modelled aircraft . cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Looks great Tony.In a dazzling display of ignorance about cold war aircraft might I say that supeficially it reminds me of the good old EE Lightning.

"Fishpot".....who thinks these names up?

Cheers

Steve
Great arent they steve , the nato ASCC (air standardization co-ordinating committee) classification names! In a good guy /bad guy sort of way , the warsaw pact aircraft were usually given names that werent very complimentary, a perfect example being the Tupolev tu 22 -someone first came up with the ASCC name of 'beauty' but it was changed to 'blinder' . A few other unflattering gems are 'fagot' (mig 15) ,'midget' (mig 15 UTI) 'clod' (antonov an 14) and 'clank (antonov an30) cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Tony, wonderful little jet. It really looks a lot like a MiG21. Great work, and as everyone has said, a great bargain.

F

Fishpot11

Very nice Tony!

Those birds are so elegants, keep up the great work!

cheers

Paolo

selrach

SMF Supporter
Nice work Tony, Very interesting the way you have used different types of metal finishes on various parts of the plane. Nice result indeed. Selrach

C

Caledonia

Nicely done NMF Tony, you certainly know how to squeeze the detail out of your kits. 5 Star to you collection mate. Cheers Derek

W

Waffen Bucks

Great job. I done one of these when i was a teenager. No idea where that is now. 5*****

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Has we say from the Black Country ( West Bromwich ) bostin job n wot a bargin for 2 quid cor wait to see ya next build lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone for the kind comments , im surprised to see this one bubbling up to the surface again! I think i might have to get all of my cold war soviets together for a group photo sometime. cheers tony