Sword 1/72 EE Lightning T.4/5 - RAF Cold War Fighters part 2 - Done!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally finished..........................
DSCF2399.JPGDSCF2400.JPGDSCF2401.JPGDSCF2402.JPGDSCF2403.JPGDSCF2404.JPG
This came within a hairsbreadth of going in the bin, several times!! The kit itself, goes together well, despite it being a short run kit, the fit & detail is pretty good. I chose to add two AM pilots, which caused space problems - there isn't actually an instrument panel in the cockpit - no room! I certainly didn't help things by breaking the main cockpit canopy ( big feet ). Luckily, I found a stand in part from an Airfix Jet Provost, which looks OK in the open position ( but not it in the closed ).
The major problem was the decals, they either came off the backing straight away, or took up to 5 minutes soaking before reluctantly letting go - this wasn't at all consistent, so that the long wingwalk decals were a real pig to deal with. Once they came off, they were very fragile and quite a few had to be carefully persuaded to be lined up. The majority of the stencils I gave up on!
The kit, although, short run - no location pins etc., is not too difficult, BUT, the decals need replacing. Xtradecal do sheets for the T.4/T.5, so that's not too difficult. The kit itself can be picked up for around £15, so pretty good value.
Thanks for looking in - I'll shortly be moving onto part 3 of my project, with the brace of Vampires........................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done Dave despite the problems.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
As Andrew says it has turned out nicely in spite of the issues. Decals are a real problem at times. Thick carrier which is impervious to everything, as you found some just fall apart and my real bugbear those where they don't fit where they should :rolling:
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well she might have put up a fight along the way but she turned out well. A nice job. Always a Extra Bonus when you can get a short run kit to behave!
A lucky fix with the canopy. I have a 1/48 Gannet for which the canopies are not even close to fitting. All of them! So I'm a bit lost.
Seeing this reminds me.....Some place I have a conversion set for a T4 and a lightning to put it on...... Hmm Sorry I digress.

Great result Dave. Like it a lot.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great job on it Dave and overcoming the problems it gave you. I like the colors too

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Really fab job Dave on this lightning considering the probs you have had but you fought it an won really great an i dont think ive ever seen a model of a t-4 or t-5 so this is very unusal well done for stickin with it an not binnin it
CHRIS

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice one, and a good save with the canopy. It doesn’t look out of place at all the way it is now.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Is this better?
View attachment 442226
Had a quick search - I couldn't find any for sale at the moment (globally! )
Dave
OH YES Dave love it but not one for sale anywhere as hannants had loads when i bought mine mind you that was several yrs ago so it looks like they dint stock up on them again as my lightning could have been done in this colours but i thought all that red was just a bit to OTT so i did mine in cant remember the sqr but it was the sqr where it had a bright yellow tail an a big cross on it an mine is in 1/48th scale a nice size
chris IMG_6884.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Great result despite the decal problems. One of the great jets in my opinion, it looks fast even on the ground.
AN YES Tim i fully aggree with you as its does look fast on the ground just standing there its a thoughbred of an aircraft
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
BUT question anybody know what the slots were for in the wings ?
chris
Chris,
according to a BAC Lightning Website - "Each wing featured a small sawcut about three-quarters of the way down its leading edge, intended to provide improved aileron response and prevent diversion of airflow down to the wingtips."
unusual description, 'sawcut' - I would have thought that slot, or notch would have been better
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
according to a BAC Lightning Website - "Each wing featured a small sawcut about three-quarters of the way down its leading edge, intended to provide improved aileron response and prevent diversion of airflow down to the wingtips."
unusual description, 'sawcut' - I would have thought that slot, or notch would have been better
Dave
OH CHEERS Dave as ive wondered about this for 50 yrs since i first saw the lightning up close but at the time nobody i asked knew why they were there
well ive leanrt something to day thanks to Dave cheers mate
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I bought this when home last time. Trying to muster the courage to build it!
WHAT you have one James PLEASE lets see it built as ive never seen a 1/32nd scale lightning built in these colours i dont think so can you PLEASE built IT as this will be a first if you can build up your courage to build it! PLEASE PLEASE BUILD IT an love to see what the kit consists of an i'll follow your build avdidly AS IF YOU DONT BUILD IT WHAT A WASTE IT WILL BE OF A BEAUTFULL AIRCRAFT an as Tim said it even looks fast just standing there an it will rekindle all my thoughts of a fantastic aircraft ps i wish now i had done my 1/48 lightning in the red as the more i look at it in these colours the better i like it
ATB
Chris

Last edited: