Ta-154 Moskito 1/48 Pro-Modeler

T

treyzx10r

Getting started on the first build since returning from vacation,looks like a good solid kit. I did get some Verlinden resin upgrades so some minor surgery will be required. First the molded interior detail has to go and then opening the gun bay on the port side.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start Trey as the name says its the one the Germans build to try and emulate the De haviland Mosquito i think will watch this one unfold

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Wow Plenty of resin parts there Trey. This is the the start of a great build.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Trey,you sure do pick some unusual and interesting subjects.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Ian ,Vaughan,Ole thanks hope to do it justice,we'll see. Steve thanks ,yes I like the odd ones for sure;) by any chance do you have a clue about the color of the wires and fiddly bits in the cannon bay? I'm geussing the wires would be yellow not sure about the boxes they are connected too.cheers Trey

T

treyzx10r

The office is just about done just some final tweaking and detailing

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
the wires would be yellow not sure about the boxes they are connected too.cheers Trey
Yellow wires is a safe bet. As for the boxes I can only go with what I've seen in other late war aircraft like the Fw 190 D,Ta 152 and Me 262. These boxes are usually black or dark grey.

That interior is looking very impressive!

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

one of the best offices ive ever seen nice and neat awesome,you picked out the details nicely and the added extras are the bees knees

mobear

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work on the pit trey! cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Like everyone has said, amazing work on the cockpit Trey.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Amazing looking office Trey.

I looking foreward to seeing this one come together.

Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Wow thanks so much for all the very kind words everyone,the resin details make it a little easier to pull off so I ca'nt take all the credit.! I'm really trying hard to set the bar a little higher for myself with the details on this build.I've made some progress on the Moskito,first I had to resize the cannon ports the holes were way out of scale. Next to go were the molded cannon barrels,Ill scratch some new ones to add in the finishing stages .

Next up I had to cut the port nacelle up for the resin mill

Test fit of the wings after removing the warps in both,so far the only big glitch I've run into

Then on to the resin flaps which needed to be trimmed to fit the curves along the bottom nacelle

The gear bays will be detailed next,cheers Trey

C

Caledonia

Hi Trey, fabulous cockpit, you certainly know how to suck every last bit of detail from a kit. Cheers Derek

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Trey. Does anyone else reckon the Ta154 is reflected in the later Douglas A26 Invader? Very similar airframe shapes.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking good Trey. Does anyone else reckon the Ta154 is reflected in the later Douglas A26 Invader? Very similar airframe shapes.
Despite the superficial similarity the A-26 actually predates the Ta 154. Their first flights were almost exactly a year apart. 10 July 1942 for the A-26 and 1 July 1943for the Ta 154.

The Ta 154 was not based on the De Havilland Mosquito either,despite the name. The arrival of the Mosquito in the skies over Germany did have a bearing on the choice to develop and produce the Ta 154 over some of its rivals. The Germans were also attracted to a largely wooden design due to looming shortages of light metals.

In March 1944 the first 22 Ta 154 A-0 pre-production night fighters were delivered. Tank persuaded Adoph Galland (General der Jagdflieger) and Werner Streib (Inspekteur der Nachtjagd) to fly one. Both expressed disappointment at the performance of the aircraft and Streib specifically doubted the ability of the Ta 154 to match the British Mosquito.

There followed the well documented series of failiures and crashes leading Tank to stop production of the aircraft. Goering was not happy and even accused Tank of sabotaging his own product!

The entire project was now on the verge of cancellation when,on 17th July 1944,having received the RLM's instruction to look at Mistel combinations,Herr Schoffel from the Focke-Wulf Entwurfsburo visited Junkers at Dessau to see how they went about such projects.

He produced a feasibility study for a Ta 154 A/Fw 190 A8 combination. The RLM backed this project and Focke-Wulf saw it as a sort of salvation for the Ta 154. According to Schoffel Herr Emmert of the RLM stressed the urgent need for this Mistel combination saying "...the RLM expects the first conversion by the end of August 1944."

It seems that the further problems with the Ta 154 and the loss of seven "Moskitos" during a USAAF bombing raid on Hannover-Langenhagen airfield may have diminished interest in the project though some sources maintain that six Mistels were completed for use against allied bomber formations. These aircraft were supposedly test flown at Eschwege but no more details are known.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Derek,Joe thanks and great info Steve,I'de no idea that both Galland and Strieb had flown these,Thanks for taking the time and effort to post ,very decent of you !

Basic fuse is done

and after finish sanding the seams and rescibing panel lines

The engine is about ready to mount

Fixed the gap on the rudder with some card stock

Last edited: