Tag Picture Quiz

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It's not a great picture Tim.
It is a bridge.It's in France and is notable for events 878 years after Harald the Mispelt got knocked on the head.
Jon.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is this around Sainte Foy de Montegommery? If so, are we talking Rommel and his staff car being strafed by spitfires and taking him out of the battle?

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s what I think Steve...we’re looking for a bridge or area in France in 1944 that has a name famous elsewhere...doesn’t really narrow it down that much LOL

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Tim - I am thinking Ardennes offensive second time around, start of Market Garden or the 82nd or 101st heroics holding bridges for days after D Day

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Steve, I know where you’re coming from, but I thought the bridge looked too small to be the center of a major military operation, I could well be wrong though....it could be the bridge where Rene Artois tried to throw an exploding Christmas pudding down the funnel of the Nouvion express?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I am thinking Ardennes offensive second time around, start of Market Garden
Both of those are unlikely, given that Jon said it’s in France. Also, the blue/white posts to warn motorists of the edges of the bridge are not a Belgian or Dutch thing.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
11th Armoured Division? Ah! It’s the Taureau bridge over the river Souleuvre, which the division captured on 31 July 1944 when it was “surprisingly ignored by the Allies and German surveillance,” as Wikipedia puts it.

Which, of course, we should have realised much earlier by looking at the filename of the photo you posted :smiling3: (I only noticed that after working out the above from the division emblem.)

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
It's Dickie's Bridge over the Souleuvre in Normandy.
Like Jakko said it was located at a point where 2 German divisions joined and left more or less unguarded.Secured by Lt. Dickie Powle,Household cavalry,in a Staghound and his corporal in a Dingo until relieved by 2nd Northants Yeomanry.
31st July 1944 during Operation Bluecoat.
now called pont de Taureau after 11th armoured.
Jon.

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello there not strictly by the rules but can anyone identify this it was parked in our yard on Friday

Regards

Colin2BCF3799-56BA-4905-B8B7-F9F9BF6774E6.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Morris C8 field artillery tractor. Otherwise known as a number five bodied quad.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not an expert, but I’d say it’s a late-model Field Artillery Tractor (FAT), commonly known as a Quad. Late-model because it has a full canvas roof instead of the sloping hard rear roof of earlier versions.

Let me think of something to post … How about this one?

Car interior.jpg

What make, model, etc. of car is this?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks like it could be a 1950s Cadillac, going by the styling cues on the steering wheel and the vent, but I’ll need to look harder for the model.....interesting chrome stuff on the bonnet (should be hood I suppose) as well...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
But it could be a few years later and be a Sixty special, can’t find that exact dashboard....the clock is putting me off....looks like hydramatic transmission though....