Tag Picture Quiz

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Might be the scrying effect, but I now think I see a truck back rotated about 45 degrees away from me....with an exhaust on it,
....is it perhaps a ply bodied SWS? Actually, is it actually German, because we all seem to think it is without any real evidence.....

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
I can sort of see what looks like a gun barrell or two which resemble an mg 151 drilling set up in the lower centre???but then again the object on the extreme left resembles a Tiger exhaust shroud???or maybe Jakkos just messing about and theres a flat pack Panther in all those boxes:rolling:....time for bed....Marty

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There's something right in the middle which, with a huge leap of faith, could be a handle-bar.
So........Kettenkrad?
No. Right in the middle there’s nothing but a pile of British ammunition boxes and tubes.

Right tree, to the left of it... maybe a 251?
I’ve been near some 251s in the flesh, and there’s no way you could hide one in this photo. Or an Sd.Kfz. 7, for that matter.

Actually, is it actually German, because we all seem to think it is without any real evidence.....
Ah! You may be onto something there …

the object on the extreme left resembles a Tiger exhaust shroud???
I have to admit it does, but see above.

maybe Jakkos just messing about and theres a flat pack Panther in all those boxes:rolling:
Yes, those boxes are marked KIT, RECOGNITION, PANTHER TANK, ENEMY :smiling3:

RSO up on its side left foreground?
Now we’re on the right track :smiling3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
HF. 1 or 2 German heavy cargo wagon. The horses have run away into the next picture...………...

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Could it be an M29 Weasel?
It could indeed :smiling3: The thing on the very left of the photo is the underside of an M29 Weasel lying on its right side, with the wheels, bogies, etc. removed. The thin line you can see across the tree is one of the rudders.

The photo was taken in Westkapelle, the Netherlands, probably in late 1944 or 1945, and shows the ruins of the mayor’s house. For those who’ve followed my Churchill AVRE model, that tank stood not all that far to the right of this photo, but the mayor’s house doesn’t exist anymore because it wasn’t rebuilt after the war. Here’s the same location from a bit further away:

0420.jpg

And about two years earlier:

0281.jpg

For completeness’ sake, this is what it looked like in better times (and before the trees had really grown):

1450.jpg

Last edited:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Wow! That was a lucky guess.

Moving swiftly away from destroyed buildings and vehicles...

Who is this, what was he and where?
gustav_schwarzenegger11.jpg

Nice and easy...

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hey guys, I'm not going to be around for the best part of Sunday so I'll reply to any answers when I get a chance.
Have an ace Sunday

Lee

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This is a detail from Queen Ahhotep's golden bee necklace. Dating from around 1550 b.c.
She was the mother of Pharaoh Ahmose I.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

I think the Pinterest caption is wrong Jon. It's clearly not a bee and would not have been worn by a women. It's part of a generic type of military award.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
When you say clearly not a bee it's clearly not a fly either but both have been used to describe this artefact.It appears to have been awarded to anyone for military service to the Pharaoh,including Ahhotep for her efforts against the Hyksos.
This is from various interweb sites so I can't verify it.

Edit.Apparently they are supposed to represent horse flies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jon.

The award part was the bit I was after. It represents the Fly of Valour an ancient Egyptian military award. They were made of iron for commoners, gold for royalty. The Egyptians based their myths and beliefs on observations made of the natural world and they admired the fly for it's tenacity - I imagine the horse fly is particularly annoying in always returning to the fray.

Horse_fly_Tabanus_2.jpg

You can see what they were getting at.

Over to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
large.jpgThought it was a scarab at first!
Here's a painting of the cutting out of an unhappy ship. The ship in the background was built as a 24 gun corvette but was captured,renamed and classified as a 6th rate 28 gun frigate.
The names of both ships would be great.
Jon.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A sorry story of a mutiny, HMS Hermione handed over to the spanish and later retrieved by the Brits and renamed HMS Retaliation. Captain Hamilton in HMS Surprise decided to get her back.

John

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
A sad,sorry and bloody do. Largely blamed on Captain Hugh Pigot of HMS Hermione for his callous and brutal treatment of his crew.According to witnesses,including the master and a midshipman,a number of the crew broke into the cabin one night,september 1797, and killed Pigot and then a number of other officers,throwing their bodies overboard.Bad enough but they then surrendered the ship to the Spanish.
2 years later Hamilton,in Surprise,cut out the Hermione from Puerto Cabello,Venezuela, with huge Spanish loss of life and not one Surprise killed.
Good one John.
Jon.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ok Something more general. Can anybody name these two gentlemen. No ....not that > Where are they and name the Fort.

Fort.jpg

John