Tag Picture Quiz

D

Deleted member 4539

Ralph,

This is the Phoenix Tower or Newton Tower (King Charles Tower) located in the N East corner of Chester city walls.

There is a carved emblem on the tower of a Phoenix, this represented the Guild of Painters, Glaziers, Embroiderers and Stationers.

As to the connection to you personally - I do not know - unless you involved in one of the above trades??

Paul.
:smiling2:
Spot on Paul:smiling2:and Lee with your second guess.
There is an heraldic shield on the tower. It was removed in the 1970s and a replica was made from fibreglass:blow-kiss-2: to replace it.
My Dad painted the replica (which I believe it still the one on the tower to this day).So that is the personal connection.
All the best.
Ralph.
Your are now it.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lee,

Your go - the tower was the easy part - you got the connection,
apart from that I have not got anything to post and off to work in a mo :sad-face::sad-face:

Paul.
:smiling2::smiling2:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Ralph, thanks Paul... you got the easy part... I struggled to find it! I guessed the connection...

Ok what's this beast then?

20181229_224907.jpg

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some or another unit during the Malayan Emergency? I see No. 5 Lee-Enfields and Owen machine carbines, both of which were used at the time by the British army, and many of the men in the photo look like they’re from that part of the world.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Could be during training in the British-controlled portion of Borneo (the bit that’s now part of Malaysia)? Or maybe as part of patrols etc. intended to prevent the Indonesians from trying to occupy that part of the island?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
These men are part of a unit who took part in both the Malaya and Borneo campaigns.
Jon.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m afraid I haven’t got a clue, as it’s not a campaign I’m very familiar with — I can identify the weapons and from that guessed that it’d be during the Malayan Emergency, but that’s about it :sad:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Not the Malay Scouts.
The unit was originally formed in 1852 by the son of the first White Rajah.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Lee.
They're a group of Sarawak Rangers. Initially formed as a police and counter-piracy force.They and the Iban scouts were immensely useful during the Malaya and Borneo insurgencies.They were subsumed into the Royal Ranger Regiment of Malaysia in 1963,forming the 1st Company.
Jon

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Even with your clue it took me a while to get the answer!

Lee

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Happy New year everyone!
I hope there isnt to many sore heads about?
Hopefully normal service can now be resumed!? :smiling:

Who is this gent and what is so special about him?

220px-Charles_Davis_Lucas_Victoria_Cross_pre_1914.jpg

Lee