Takom 1/35 M3 Lee ( early ) - a return to the bench

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After long time away from the bench, I finally feel up to a return. I looked at what was collecting dust, WIP, and decided to bin it all, and start afresh with a pristine model, sprues still bagged......................
After looking at several models carefully, I've decided on the Takom Lee. I cannot ever remember making a Takom model ( may just be tired grey cells )
takom lee.jpg
Nicely presented Boxart - of a Lend-Lease Soviet version - when I opened the box, I found a bonus, a Bison Decal Sheet
bison lee.jpg
I'll choose one of these - probably one with the US flag on, the M3 Lee didn't seem to attract fancy camo schemes, or much crew personalisation.
The M3 Lee has been modelled by most of major manufacturers, extensively by Takom and MiniArt.
This has been in the stash for a year - it doesn't seem to in stock at retailers. I'm amazed to find that this was an Ebay auction win at £13.84 in March 2023 - this has totally slipped my mind ( oh dear ).
I'm not going to rush this - if I don't feel like any benchtime, I'll leave it alone until I do
Dave

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
A superb choice Dave, the Lee is a really interesting subject. I'll look forward to seeing your build.

I don't have any Biccies lads but you're welcome to some Barra Brith.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to see you back in the hot seat Dave.

I've built a couple of Takom kits and they went together nicely.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool. Takom generally make good kits, but be careful that the fit is often rather precise, so be sure to remove all remains of sprue attachment points etc. that may get in the way, and dry-fit everything before you glue it. One big advantage of this kit over its MiniArt counterpart is link-and-length tracks :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and he's back :hugging-face:,
Great to see you Dave,nice choice of kit too Sir:thumb2:.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave,
Totally agree with Andy.

...and it doesn't matter to me what you are going to build, it's just nice to see you up and running once more! :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a week, so far, of sidetracks, I managed to sit down at the bench and interfere with some plastic!
I've read some reviews of this model, and the two criticisms that are common are that there is absolutely no interior & a poor choice of decals ( no N. Africa combat debut options ). The decals, OK, an odd choice, but no interior? If you wanted an interior, then you should have bought a model that says ' full interior '. If that's the worst the reviewers can find to say, then, there can't be much wrong.
I've jumped straight in, no sprue shots or detail pictures, and started on the lower hull & running gear. The hull went together no problems - the instructions could be a little clearer, but that''s just me.............
DSCF4862.JPG
I brush primed the hull, leaving the bogie mount areas clear.
I've got to work out the best way to paint the bogies, they're rather complex little assemblies, but I want to paint the wheels & tyres first, so that it's a matter of how far I can go on sub assemblies, to make it as trouble free as possible.
The Takom Lee has link and length tracks, with a little jig to aid assembly, which is a nice touch
Dave

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold
Great start Dave - what paint are you using?

I stopped reading reviews a long time ago for that type of reason. :rolling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The decals, OK, an odd choice, but no interior? If you wanted an interior, then you should have bought a model that says ' full interior '.
Agreed. Like some of the MiniArt counterparts, which come with a fairly complete interior that will probably make most people regret they bought the kit with interior ;)

I've got to work out the best way to paint the bogies, they're rather complex little assemblies, but I want to paint the wheels & tyres first,
I’d say you’re probably best off building the bogies as directed in step 2, except for leaving out the roadwheel arms (A2/A3 and A4/A5), because you can clip these into the bogie later on. This will keep the interior of the bogie accessible for painting. Take care here that you don’t glue the lever arms B2 to the springs A31, nor to the bogie body, else it will probably be almost impossible to get the roadwheels and their arms to fit nice and level.