Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha YZF-R1

lachontrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lachlan
After returning from Hobby Craft, this is my first haul! I’m planning on hand painting the smaller parts with a brush. Do I need to prime the smaller parts too? Has anyone got any advice on hand painting parts? I bought 5 brushes as pictured, any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

AlanG

Nachtjager and Sturmbock fanatic
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Al
I very very rarely prime anything. The only time i do it when painting yellows, reds and whites. For hand painting parts. Just take your time. Not to much paint on the brush and do it in a couple of coats if need be. But i'm sure others with more experience ( @spanner570 ) will come along to give you more tips.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hand painting is always better with multiple, thin coats. Dilute the paint. The first couple of coats will look horrible but additional coats will make it right. Tamiya acrylics do not hand paint readily. It helps if you work fairly quickly and avoid going over the same area while the paint is still tacky.
Jim

AlanG

Nachtjager and Sturmbock fanatic
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Al
I only thin acrylic paints that i intend to spray. So my answer would be no. But there again i hand paint so little i cannot be used as a judgement for painting motorbikes. My hand painted items are normally restricted to cockpits of aircraft lol

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Going for the glory of the fairing before the unseen hard work below !
Hard to resist , I know ......
Good luck , will be watching your build !

Dave Ward

Plodding Along
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lachlan,
This is my Tamiya Suzuki Katana - I made a mess of the silver paint on the tank, redid it several times, but it still doesn't look very good ( in real life! )P1060716.JPG
At least the alloy wheels are a LOT better than the old wire wheels!
Sorry for jumping into your thread..............
Dave

lachontrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lachlan
Lachlan,
This is my Tamiya Suzuki Katana - I made a mess of the silver paint on the tank, redid it several times, but it still doesn't look very good ( in real life! )View attachment 365401
At least the alloy wheels are a LOT better than the old wire wheels!
Sorry for jumping into your thread..............
Dave
Looks fantastic, Dave! And not at all, I’m always interested to see other builds!

lachontrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lachlan
Got the first bit of painting done. I used Tamiya XF-16 + Humbrol Met 11. (I have just realised it’s enamel as opposed to acrylic - oops) The black is okay, needs another coat to tidy some bits up. I used Humbrol Black Gloss acrylic paint. Any tips or feedback welcomed!

Attachments

lachontrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lachlan
a wee update on the r1. finished painting part of the engine block and assembled it. applied a coat of gloss varnish to the nose cons, but it hasn’t seemed to have done much. i sprayed the front so you can see the comparison to the back. maybe it just needs a couple
more coats to attain the gloss affect?

Attachments