Tamiya 1/24 Lotus Super 7

M

m1ks

New one dragged out of the stash to begin.

Two main sprues, one clear and one chrome with a PE grille with rubber tyres.

Not too many parts but some that could be quite fiddly.

This will be a themed one so not following the paint plans.

Can't remember the last time I built a car kit so i'm looking forward to this one.

B

Bunkerbarge

An absolute classic kit this. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I remember how everyone thought how fantastic this was when it first came out when I was a mere teenager.

Still a good kit now and a great tribute to the quality of Tamiya.

D

djbozz

That will be nice when done, I have recently done 6 Tamiya car kits, I don't think their quality can be beaten:cheeseygrin:

M

m1ks

Update

Not much here, had to fill some ejector pin marks, some of which will be visible, under the wheelarches, body pan, underbonnet, (as I will want the bonnet removeable), ready for priming as is the spitfire for my GB non GB

Some of them, quite large, more so than you typically see on a Tamiya kit, but I understand this is quite an old kit in Tamiya terms.

Am also planning on some research which is a great excuse to watch some much liked DVD's again. :smiling3:

Last edited:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice work so far, would look great with KAR 120C as the reg no.

Have fun, John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Enjoy your 'research'! It did look good driving round the streets of London.

Gern

M

m1ks

Main bodyshell and bits primed ready for paint, primed in Humbrol Primer No1, I usually use matte white but given the bulk of the kit is white styrene and remembering what a job seeing the white primer on a white plastic is when I did the Saturn V I decided to go with grey.

S

sprayman

A stunning car, and this looks like it will be a stunning build.

M

m1ks

Thankyou, and I certainly hope so, i'd like this one to be a good display piece.

It's a long time since building a car and i've forgotten how many fiddly little bits there are to paint before assembly, much more so than bike kits.

M

m1ks

Update on 6's 7.

Painted the underside, engine bay, scuttle panel, underbonnet, inner nosecone, wheels and a few other bits with Humbrol metalcote flat aluminium, doesn't show well on pic but needs a dust over to polish it slightly when dry.

Also got the bright yellow paint for the nosecone on and very pleased with that, it took about 5 coats as the yellow was quite opaque and as i'd primed in grey it showed through easily initially.

Hopefully will get the upper camo on the Sptfire later.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This has got to be one of my all time favorite cars. I came very close to buying one a couple of years ago. Unfortunatly the insurance co. looked upon it as a racing car and the premium was silly money.

Pity it was a genuine Lotus one as well!

Your mini version looks like its comming along nicely.

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi,

I built this kits some years ago, but your's looks a lot better then mine did. But I just go another on eBaty, so will give it a try later, as I mostly build Military now.

regards

Mel aka cactusface

M

m1ks

Brief update:

Have been looking at this on the bench while completing the spit and starting the Harrier and thought I ought to look at doing a bit more.

Was about to paint the seats, inner panels and rear of transmission tunnels but having looked at the alu painted parts under the floorpan and bonnet I realised i'm not happy with a couple of ejector pin marks which are still visible so have trimmed and refilled them.

Can see this one dragging out a bit :smiling3:

T

treyzx10r

looking great, I do'nt know why but yellow is always hard to cover. I ground coat white ,gold or red under yellow depending on the desired effect seems to help coverage. Keep up the great work

M

m1ks

I've heard of coating Yellow over red, always seemed a bit odd to me but I guess it must do something for the hue?

This is over grey primer and it took about 4 coats but am quite pleased with the result.

P

peter61_uk

\ said:
I've heard of coating Yellow over red, always seemed a bit odd to me but I guess it must do something for the hue?This is over grey primer and it took about 4 coats but am quite pleased with the result.
............. That is very yellow.........and very shiny :sunglasses2:........ I'm looking forward to seeing this one done........

Cheers

Peter

M

m1ks

Update on 6's 7.

Re-coated the underside and underbonnet having re-filled and sanded as I wasn't happy with it, not perfect but better.

Painted the dash, Seat back, seat bases, rear of transmission tunnel and inner panels in Humbrol Insignia red, (a reddish brown erring towards red), it looks brighter red on the pics.

M

m1ks

Update, nothing great, just plugging away bit by bit.

Satin black on most of the black sprue , diff, propshaft, steering components, hood cover etc, same on floorpan and transmission tunnel.