Tamiya 1/24 Lotus Super 7

P

Plastickitbasher

Great work so far this is going to be one stunning little car

M

m1ks

Update on 6's 7.

Black gloss on also a few bits gloss coated ready for alclad stainless and chrome.

waiting for the black to cure fully before proceeding. Interior dry fitted as is scuttle panel, bonnet and nose, second pic with engine in place.

Third and fourth pics reference from episode, 'do not forsake me oh my darling'. note they used a mix of driving footage, some shots clearly have Patrick MacGoohan at the wheel and some the character whose mind number six resided in for the duration of the episode.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That gloss black sure does look smooth! Nice one.

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely finish on the black, not easy but you've cracked it there.

S

sprayman

Black can be a bugger to get right...no worries here though.....class job.

M

m1ks

Been on the sidelines a while this one though I've been planning my attack on it, hopefully will run to completion this time before I start my next WHIF build, (GB on Escale which is planned to start in May).

This is one of those quick things that's been waiting a while for me to get the cellulose friendly AB out.

Alclad chrome on the rocker cover and Alclad stainless steel on the exhaust and manifolds, didn't spray as cleanly this time around but it was a wee bit warmer in the 'workshop' than when I last used the alclad so maybe that?

Still impressed with the effect.

Also started to assemble the front end running gear and rear diff / prop

M

m1ks

Detail work and drybrushing today, fitted the running gear and detail paint on engine, poss HT leads too, we'll see how I feel.

That's a tiny engine BTW, it's on the lid of some tamiya extra thin to give some scale.

All going nicely until I laid the body upside down to let the rear diff glue set and realised i'd laid the front wing in a blob of still wet superglue.

ARRRGGGGGHHHH

Tried to sand out with polishing pads but some high spots back through to plastic so masked for respray, that's put the build back another couple of days now until the paint cures. :sad:

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking good, the dry brushing on the engine works well and I'm surprised at how shiny the Alclad looks. I must have a go with that stuff one day.

Shame about the glue on the wing, just goes to show you can never let your guard down and how important it is to keep a clean and tidy workarea. Don't worry I know I'm on my own there!!:laughing:

M

m1ks

Yes, that alclad stuff is simply out of this world, the key is a good high gloss black base, so far i've only ever used enamel and had great results, it doesn't take masking or excessive handling well so i'd say make it the last or as near to last bit you do, it loses it's shine if clearcoated too but for it's drawbacks theres nothing else to touch it.

I like Humbrols metalcotes for realistic metallic finishes, polished ally, steel and gunmetal are all great but so far the alclads the only one that gives a 'real' chrome look.

I've resprayed the rogue wing last night and unmasked today, should be set enough tomorrow to handle and fit the engine etc.

The only problem now is looking at the resprayed wing it's smoother and nicer than the rest, i briefly contemplated flatting and respraying the whole thing, then I had a brief bout of sanity, left it in the drying box and went and made a coffee instead. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi M1ks, Alclad do a clear coat as well that has no effect on the glossiness or colour of there lacquers. It gives a nice shine ! Would not recommend it over Humbrol though as it is also a hot lacquer.

Ian M

Z

zooks

stunning work there.

Ive definately got to give alclad a try sometime, looks brilliant

M

m1ks

Update on 6's 7.

Blimey, this ones been a while in the making but it's almost there, i will say, though it's taken some time i've enjoyed doing this in bits and pieces.

Now have the resin cast Lotus Elan pressed steel wheels painted and fitted, the supplied ones in the tamiya kit are incorrect, these were very kindly donated to me by a forum member on the escale models forum who did his own version of 6's 7, these were his mis casts but they are plenty good enough for me, with a clean up, bit of superglue and filler and attacking with a file they look pretty good I think.

Bits to do are, scratch built rear lights, again the kit ones are different to the one used on KAR 120C, paint and fit the windscreen in either polished aluminium or alclad, not sure yet and finally the windscreen wipers and create some license plates.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking the biz now mike, the wheels look great to me, you did a good job cleaning them up. Looking forward to the end result. cheers tony

R

Richy C

Very nice build m1ks , you`ve made me want to do the racing version now.

Richy

M

m1ks

Quick update on this one.

OMG, is this still sitting here unfinished? I hear people gasp, :smiling3:

It's been sitting on the bench for a while, my modelling get up and go hasn't been right, (but neither has my sleep pattern etc etc blah blah blah blah, however), I've been looking through the stash, trying desperately not to buy anything else till i've built at least 1/4 of what I have, started a revell 1/9 bike but lost interest quickly but then got the urge to do a car, so, revell 57 Chevy BelAir on the go and in the meantime I thought, perfect chance to finish this longstanding bench paperweight that is the Lotus 7 of number 6.

So Alcladded the windscreen bracket/surround plus fuel cap, (though it's under the hood cover), added some very nice, (If I do say so), piping to the hood cover and some to add to the seat edges.

In the process of making new rear lights as the kit ones are wrong and a retaining leather strap for the spare wheel, the only thing I can't do at present are the mesh headlight grilles but that's something I can add later when i find the material to do it.

No pics just yet but I hope to have it completed v soon and images up.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a lovely finish to the paint on the Lotus. This is going to be brilliant when it's finished.

All the best

Paul

M

m1ks

Quick pic update, Not quite finished as the plans for a day modelling yesterday were scuppered when I was informed on being dragged out of bed too early that we were going shopping to the city, so returning exhausted at 8.30pm left me in no mood for aything.

Got a few little bits done tonight, going to add one more piece of piping to the seat then i'll be happy with that, have battery leads to fit to the engine and number plates to make then just the rear lights to finish fettling and add.

Windscreen and wipers

Seat piping, (bit of creative license here, you never see the seat bases but as the seat back has piping i'm guessing the seat creases did too.

Rear shot showing hood cover piping and spare wheel retaining strap, (i'd painted this brown to simulate brown leather originally but on watching some of the DVD's again today discovered it is a black leather strap, (strange how your mind plays tricks on you), very pleased with the strap, made from masking tape with home made buckle.

Full side shot