Tamiya 1/35 British Universal Carrier - a beginner begins...

J

John Rixon

Roger that! I have actually written down the main errors so as not to get caught out again. I'm not sure that the enamel varnish and acrylics were a brilliant idea. When I started to wipe the flory washes off, I could detect some green on the cotton bud, and that should have been well protected by the varnish! But it came out better than I was expecting, and has made me hungry for more. Am tempted to do the Churchill in winter camo, should give me a good opportunity to get down and dirty with chipping and mud! Armour is such a good way I not this game, as most real examples, according to my good mate, who used to drive tanks, are coverd in crap! Anyway, the Tamiya kits are on another level from the Revell horror I tried to start with, so I will stick with them for at least a couple more. Gonna have a stab with Humbrol's clear this time, I gather it is quite tough?

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Nice job John,If I can make a suggestion John, you could do a little dry brushing, this would bring out your washes again, because of the different levels of paint you got.

Hope I got that sentence understandable:rolleyes:

Cheers Richi
Do you mean dry brushing with more of the Flory washes?

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
well finished , I have 2 Churchill's to do as well good luck

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't use enamel varnish at all I stick to acrylic ie Vallejo or floor polish I find that the varnish needs a day or 2 before weathering to allow the stuff to fully cure again well done

J

John Rixon

\ said:
I don't use enamel varnish at all I stick to acrylic ie Vallejo or floor polish I find that the varnish needs a day or 2 before weathering to allow the stuff to fully cure again well done
Yeah, that's one of the things I've noted down, makes sense to leave 24 hours between coats! I guess I just saw the finishing line!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A beginner... You 'aving a Turkish.

Great Job John. It's very apparent that you know which end of a paint brush to use. lol

I like the way that you recognise your errors and know the cure.

Looking forwards to your next victim.

Ian M

First Name
Richard
\ said:
Do you mean dry brushing with more of the Flory washes?
Hi John, no Dry brushing is a painting technique in which a paint brush with a lighter shade then the base colour, that is relatively dry, but still holds paint, is used. With that paintbrush you would go gently over all the bolts nuts and edges The resulting brush strokes have a characteristic scratchy look and bring out the detail even more.

Hope this helps and maybe someone can put it better in understandable english

Cheers Richi

Ps found this

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

\ said:
Hi John, no Dry brushing is a painting technique in which a paint brush with a lighter shade then the base colour, that is relatively dry, but still holds paint, is used. With that paintbrush you would go gently over all the bolts nuts and edges The resulting brush strokes have a characteristic scratchy look and bring out the detail even more.Hope this helps and maybe someone can put it better in understandable english

Cheers Richi

Ps found this

Ah, yes, I can see that would be a plan, and a good model to try it out on. Thanks for the link, those video tutorials really are the business. I have to admit, I've watched quite a lot!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
A beginner... You 'aving a Turkish.Great Job John. It's very apparent that you know which end of a paint brush to use. lol

I like the way that you recognise your errors and know the cure.

Looking forwards to your next victim.

Ian M
No, really! I did build R/C models for a while, but they were huge and had basic detailing. Seeing the amazing models here, I'd equate this more with painting (art) than anything. I do struggle with the tiny stuff, building wise, but when I see what folks around here do with 1/72, I tell myself to man up!

N

noble

If this is your first model then I am very impressed like Laurie has said, I very not seen a better first kit well done that is one to be proud of.

scott