Tamiya 1/35 British Universal Carrier - a beginner begins...

J

John Rixon

Definitely builds well, it was a great first build, lucky really as it was the only tamiya model in W H Smiths! It is fiddly in parts, and there's a lot of "interior" stuff to paint and weather, but I reckon it's a corker to hone my skills. Loads of little details to paint, I could still be a few weeks on this one. Keeping a weather eye on the Tamiya Churchill on the shelf...

J

John Rixon

Just waiting for my Flory washes to arrive - I figure with such a small model, the ability to take time removing the excess is a distinct advantage for a noob such as myself. will wait 'till the weathering is done before adding the Lee-Enfields, Bren and bits & bobs etc, and you'd all laugh if you saw my efforts so far, in sprue melting for the aerials…o_O

View attachment 96048

View attachment 96049

The more observant among you will spot the "silvering" on the decals. Next time I'll use gloss varnish before applying decals! We live and learn eh! Still, this has been an amazingly absorbing and mostly enjoyable build. Made a few cardinal errors, but these are always good, as I won't make them again. And, there's a Mk VII Churchill sitting in the corner of the room awaiting my attention:smiling3:.

Thanks for looking.

10.jpg

11.jpg

D

dubster72

John, making aerials out of stretched sprue is something I've never mastered, so you're not alone!

I'll be interested to see how the Flory wash works on armour, having only seen it done with aircraft.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Wowsers!!:eek:

That lil' Bren Carrier is looking good!! :D

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's looking really good .......... Top Job.

Peter

J

John Rixon

Thankee folks! Suffice it to say I am now hooked on this malarky, the old expression "the hours just fly by" couldn't be truer, and (a first for many, many years) I just forget about everything else, when I get up here and start working! Flory washes arrived this morning, but had to do a small repair (don't ask…) and a small area had to be re-varnished. So tomorrow is weathering day - gulp!

J

John Rixon

\ said:
John, making aerials out of stretched sprue is something I've never mastered, so you're not alone!I'll be interested to see how the Flory wash works on armour, having only seen it done with aircraft.
Ha ha, you and me both! Being totally water based, I'm thinking "what can go wrong?"… ;)

I was impressed with the YT video though.

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
Ha ha, you and me both! Being totally water based, I'm thinking "what can go wrong?"… ;) I was impressed with the YT video though.
Yep, that's about it mate. Cover the model, wipe off.

J

John Rixon

Right. Have decided to quit while I'm ahead! The matt Varnish was not a huge success - will definitely use gloss prior to decals and washes in the future! It is a delicate little thing when assembled (I fitted the front side panels quite late on, to keep access to the running gear for painting etc, big mistake! Ive broken it twice in the last two days:eek:. The flory washes are great, but the final varnish kind of nullified a lot of the effect, so have tickled it with wash post-varnish! I think I have learned a huge amount building this, but am scared of going any further on such a fragile thing. It has got me totally hooked!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind comments, they really do count you know!!

View attachment 96226

View attachment 96227

View attachment 96228

View attachment 96229

Will have a small break before commencing the Churchill…

Right, that'll do - where's that box…!

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

C

callmehobbes

Looking good. Just watch those sink marks, either use a bit of filler or hide them with stowage. Yours tracks look really good.

J

John Rixon

Yeah, that side panel had broken off once and I did a pretty good job with the filler, then the bloody thing broke off again...:rolleyes:.

First Name
Richard
Nice job John,

If I can make a suggestion John, you could do a little dry brushing, this would bring out your washes again, because of the different levels of paint you got.

Hope I got that sentence understandable:rolleyes:

Cheers Richi

L

Laurie

Well your first model John and I do not think I have seen a better first.

All hand brush driven as well. Ah now John your pro. artistry is showing through and it is very good in deed. A few more models and I can see top flight stuff here.

Nice thing noted you are alive to things such as silvering etc. Sign of a man who accepts the present but is determined to strive for that elusive perfection in the future.

Laurie