Tamiya 1:35 M1A1 Abrams...

J

jono

Hi, welcome to my first venture into the Armoured Brigade.. this is also my first Tamiya kit build, & im very pleased with the quality of the kit & will look to buy more from the Tamiya range.

Even though I need to improve my weathering skills I hope you like the pics, I used a basic Badger 250 airbrush & canned air for the painting but thinking about getting a compressor for future painting & would be grateful for any advice on what to look for in a compressor.

This Abrams is heading out to my Grandson,s bedroom LOL.. & im thinking of maybe the Tamiya Challenger 1 for my next build.. :smiling3: .View attachment 90674

View attachment 90674

View attachment 90674

View attachment 90675

View attachment 90676

View attachment 90677

View attachment 90678

View attachment 90679

022.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

043.JPG

045.JPG

050.JPG

D

dubster72

Welcome to the Armoured fold Jono!

Tamiya do make some lovely kits, easy

to build with good detail.

I think you've done a lovely job on your Abrams, although it's crying out for some pin-washes to bring out the details & give it depth.

You'll get lots of advice re a compressor, but I'd recommend one with a tank.

Cheers

Patrick

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thats a good Abrams, but as has been said, would look even better with a couple of washes.

J

jono

\ said:
Welcome to the Armoured fold Jono!Tamiya do make some lovely kits, easy

to build with good detail.

I think you've done a lovely job on your Abrams, although it's crying out for some pin-washes to bring out the details & give it depth.

You'll get lots of advice re a compressor, but I'd recommend one with a tank.

Cheers

Patrick
Thanks Patrick & Steve, Ref. Washes I tried doing an enamel wash & if you look at the last pic of the turret it looks like it is covered in a fine dust... That is the result of my wash LOL... Plenty of room for improvement in the wash department...

Thank you both for your comments..... Regards John.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi John for a first Armour build I think you have done a good job like the rest have said a wash would bring it more to life but that will come with experience

T

tommy1drop

Hi John as the lads have said great first armour build and maybe a wash over the kit will bring out more depth, big thumbs up on the build mate;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work, pin washes, weathering all come in time. I think it looks superb, nice job.

That paint colour is crying out for a bit of chipping/highlighting.

Si:smiling3:

J

jono

\ said:
Hi John for a first Armour build I think you have done a good job like the rest have said a wash would bring it more to life but that will come with experience
Hi Papa 695 thanks for your comment & yes I need to work on improving my washing skills, did try giving it a wash but it ended up just looking like it was covered in dust lol..

J

jono

\ said:
Nice work, pin washes, weathering all come in time. I think it looks superb, nice job.That paint colour is crying out for a bit of chipping/highlighting.

Thanks Tommy1drop & Edddiesolo, on your remarks hopefully my washing skills will improve on my next build, although I do not expect to get the same kind of results as shown on some of the other models.... :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks Tommy1drop & Edddiesolo, on your remarks hopefully my washing skills will improve on my next build, although I do not expect to get the same kind of results as shown on some of the other models.... :smiling3:
You could soften then edges by using a pencil, rub it along lines that have wear, along edges, hatches etc. Simple but just works.

N

noble

Welcome to the dark side Jono, and a nice kit to start with. The weathering stages will come in time , don't be afraid to practise though, it is easier than you can imagine. A lovely piece to begin with.

scott

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you cant go wrong with tamiya, even the old old ones still build up with no drama

did you give it a gloss coat before the wash?....helps it 'flow' then give it a matt clear coat

looks a nice kit

J

jono

\ said:
Welcome to the dark side Jono, and a nice kit to start with. The weathering stages will come in time , don't be afraid to practise though, it is easier than you can imagine. A lovely piece to begin with.scott
Hi Scott, thanks for the comments. The grandson was waiting for the model to put in his bedroom LOL, But the next build will be for Me & so I will have more time to Practice the Weathering :smiling3: ...

J

jono

\ said:
you cant go wrong with tamiya, even the old old ones still build up with no dramadid you give it a gloss coat before the wash?....helps it 'flow' then give it a matt clear coat

looks a nice kit
Hello Beowulf, yes the base colour was Acrylic, & a clear gloss varnish on top then the Enamel Wash applied & then a coat of Matt varnish on top of that. Im thinking that the wash was not Dark enough to stand out as it should. Looking at some of the other models I know I will not be able to weather my models to those high standards...

D

dubster72

\ said:
Hello Beowulf, yes the base colour was Acrylic, & a clear gloss varnish on top then the Enamel Wash applied & then a coat of Matt varnish on top of that. Im thinking that the wash was not Dark enough to stand out as it should. Looking at some of the other models I know I will not be able to weather my models to those high standards...
Everyone started off somewhere John, practice & support will allow you to develop your skills.

I'm no expert, but I can look back & see a slow but noticeable improvement in my builds just as you'll do too!

Cheers

Patrick

J

jono

\ said:
Everyone started off somewhere John, practice & support will allow you to develop your skills.I'm no expert, but I can look back & see a slow but noticeable improvement in my builds just as you'll do too!

Cheers

Patrick
Patrick,

Ive been building models on & off at times since I was a young boy LOL, now im retired & housebound for most of the time ive taken it up again to stop me climbing the walls... :smiling3: look me up in the motorcycle forum where ive built a few Harley-Davidson models.... This is my first military build ....

P

Polux

Lovely first tank Jono!

Looks very nice, and makes me want one now :smiling3: :smiling3: all my built tanks are from WWII, I have to try with a modern one ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Looking at some of the other models I know I will not be able to weather my models to those high standards...
for years i avoided using washes cos the very idea scared the hell out of me......i tried some premixed ones and just couldnt get on with them so that made it even worse..........about a year ago i started playing with enamels thinned with white spirit and oils thinned with proper oil thinners........proved to be so easy i dont even give it a second thought these days

im sure ive got some vids on youtube saved on how to do it, i will see if i have and send them to you

J

jono

\ said:
Lovely first tank Jono!Looks very nice, and makes me want one now :smiling3: :smiling3: all my built tanks are from WWII, I have to try with a modern one ;)
Thanks for the comment Pink Panther, I will be doing more of the modern tank kits & maybe older WW11 later..

J

jono

\ said:
for years i avoided using washes cos the very idea scared the hell out of me......i tried some premixed ones and just couldnt get on with them so that made it even worse..........about a year ago i started playing with enamels thinned with white spirit and oils thinned with proper oil thinners........proved to be so easy i dont even give it a second thought these daysim sure ive got some vids on youtube saved on how to do it, i will see if i have and send them to you
Thanks for the video,s Beowulf I will be viewing them while on my next build .... John.