Tamiya 1/35 Panzerkampfwagen 38t

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A quick one this, which I'm building to put in the back of the Faun L900.

2023-09-13 13.03.18.jpg

It's a 2019 kit so very well engineered and easy to put together but with more parts than I was expecting, which was a nice surprise

2023-09-13 13.06.19.jpg

2023-09-13 13.05.55.jpg

It went together very quickly indeed, however I watched through a build of this to see if there was anything that might catch me out and the guy approached it differently than I normally would, much more as the Tamiya instructions advise, so I gave it a go.

This meant painting the wheels and link & length tracks before assembly, which I actually found a bit easier. Having a bit of paint build up on the track links helped them press fit into place, so I could pretty much dry assemble everything then go around with quick setting TET afterwards.

That left me at this stage

2023-09-15 07.44.54.jpg

I managed to lose one of the front tow hooks, so whittled something out of styrene to emulate the stub that might remain after a hook had broken off. I also thinned the track guards a bit and bent them as much as I dare to show a bit of damage.

2023-09-15 07.58.32.jpg

The cupola goes together in a rather strange way out of 14 pieces in all. If it wasn't a Tamiya kit I might have been concerned but it all slotted together very well in the end, except for a gluey finger mark right on the top!

2023-09-15 08.51.43.jpg

2023-09-15 09.09.54.jpg

With the construction complete I masked up the lower portions and splashed on some primer in readiness for a paint delivery, hopefully tomorrow.

The exhaust has been painted seperatly and I found a bit of stowage to add

2023-09-15 11.05.43.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
By 'eck Andy you don't hang about do you. I'll hang about for the rest.
Tamiya has always had a reputation for well fitting kits and this sounds to be no exception. Mind you I think a lot of other manufacturers are catching up - the newer Airfix kits are perhaps a good example.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Ere! slow down a bit, give a bloke chance to catch up.... Faun, what Faun, has somebody been fiddlin' with my meds????
Keep going Andy I will catch up one day.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Andy, I'm with the guys here too!!! It's definitely hard to keep up with how fast you build things. No chair for me either Sir, maybe just a cold one from the fridge, if I may!!!..

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Sorry gents, far too much time on my hands lately so the plastic is getting a good bashing! I even did a couple of hours gardening for the outlaws earlier just to fill my day a bit.

Jim - I've heard good things about the new Airfix kits so may have to spread my wings a little. I had a spate of modern Zvezda kits a few years back and was very impressed with them also.

Mike - The Faun is being built as we speak but I'm undecided whether to submit it for the ongoing cargo movers GB or not, so no pictures yet.

Allen - One of my wife's alcohol free beers suit you? :tongue-out3:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
A kind offer Andy, but I must decline...I have a reputation to uphold you know!!! Is the 38t finished yet my friend.....Prolly is....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, if it weren't for the link and length tracks I'd swear it was an Italeri kit. I remember it going together really well too but for them vinyl tracks that won't stay down. I just blinked and you're almost finished. I'll need a doggie bag for the biscuits to go. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Wabble

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just found the door and its nearly done, and must say extremely well Andy .
Those tracks sound just right for me ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks John, just don't make the mistake I did. I painted & detailed them all on the sprue then realised how many are just spares :smiling5:

The remainder did go together very well though, I must admit.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks really good, almost makes me want to build one too :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jim, and that is indeed a compliment Jakko, although I'm sure you'll find some improvements to make :smiling3:

I'm tempted to build another myself some day, adding a few of the many aftermarket goodies that are available.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very cool and very quick too. Very well done.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
that is indeed a compliment Jakko, although I'm sure you'll find some improvements to make :smiling3:
Possibly, though your paintwork will be better in any case :smiling3: