Tamiya 1/35 Universal Carrier

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So glad you blogged this build Andy. Its coming on really well. Figures are a real dark art. You will do well with these ones. The best advice PDiddy gave me on figure painting is to have the pupils to the left or right as though the figure is looking to the side. It avoids the rabbit in the headlights look. Good luck
Andy I don't bother with pupils, just a dark wash, listen to Steve and he'll have you painting separate eye lashes.:smiling2:

Great painting of the carrier, love those seats.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

That's one proper rust bucket Si! Looks amazing.

As for the figures - eye lashes and dimples? I'll be happy if they look vaguely humanoid :smiling5:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As for the figures - eye lashes and dimples? I'll be happy if they look vaguely humanoid

With you on that one...mine (not that I do many) always look like they have a melon inserted...have a rather surprised look.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Top tip number two chaps.....do this if your figures simply must have eyeballs....for 54mm 1/35th figures and smaller.....it will look crude at P Diddy scale.

Paint the base flesh colour...usually two coats are needed to get a solid colour.
Paint the eyes, I usually use a highlight colour rather than white.....it’s too stark....
Paint in the pupils, usually a vertical line in Black is sufficient....
Repeat the first three steps until you are happy with the eyeball and pupil positioning :thumb2:
Paint the eyelids using shadow colour....and use them to cut the eyeball back to size....(this one is the secret sauce)....it’s much easier to cut the eyeball back to size than to struggle to paint it the right size in the first place....
Paint the rest of the face shadows and highlights.....remembering to highlight the eyelids as well.....

Works fine on28mm figures, look at my avatar for an example, he’s about 20mm tall....
Cheers
Tim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Paul (or do you prefer Scottie?)

Might be dipping my toe into the diorama pool after this so I hope you'll follow that one too. I've been toying with an idea for months but wanted more practice first, then suddenly John slashes the price on the kits involved so I couldn't say no. Not sure I'm quite ready for a 3 vehicle scene as my first attempt but might as well jump in at the deep end :smiling5: At least it'll keep me occupied a bit longer than the builds I've been doing lately.
Hi Andy, Paul or Scottie are fine mate I normally answer to Oy You

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Tim, must find somewhere to write it down before I forget!

Gave the gun a splash of colour tonight. A bit of a rush job as it always is after work. Primed, basecoated in OD, mixed up a dark green from a couple of colours I had, then gloss clear to protect it from weathering, in less than half an hour. All while wrestling my limping air compressor.

nqFJwPx.jpg

cvAOUMB.jpg

ps7JVrz.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Figures are in. They look a bit jaundiced under the LED's and amongst all the green, but with plenty of detail painting left to do on the carrier I can touch these guys up a bit more too.

87YMCHQ.jpg

WQhl7am.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

I've had a few minor issues, mostly accidentally putting masking tape over the decals while glueing the front piece in place! Didn't go too well :smiling5: so had to change several to make sure the markings were consistent.

Getting the driver and gunner in the right position so that their arms would line up with the bodies and equipment was a wrestle too, but it hasn't come out too bad.

After a bit of detail painting I'm currently pin washing the exterior and interior (a technique I've yet to get a good grip on!) then it'll be on to a matt coat to seal everything in then start playing with the weathering pencils.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking very nice Andy , I can see the problem you encountered with the figures , there’s not much room in the front cabin is there! Great work , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

Yes Tony, a very tight squeeze. They are both staring through closed viewing ports too. The kind of thing I'd like to rectify in the future as my skills improve.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Coming together very nice, great work Andy.