Tamiya 1/48 A10 Thunderbolt II Build

D

dm73

This is my build log for what will probably be my only modern jet build, not a big fan of modern vehicles, military or civilian but this aircraft is just awesome, designed and built around the massive GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon, enough waffling, a couple of pictures of the start...

The usual shot of the box

View attachment 29580

The main components being assembled, the fuselage halves had put up a little bit of a fight but once i get the filler and sandpaper on it

View attachment 29579

I'm going to show it on a hard standing without the pilot so i thought i might have a go at scratching the TF-34-100A High Bypass Engine with the covers off, this is as far as i've got, lots and lots more pipework and wiring to go.

View attachment 29581

Any comments good or bad welcome as usual

Cheers for looking

View attachment 34807

View attachment 34808

View attachment 34809

DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

DSCN0302.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI darren , this bird is a fave of mine too. in fact i was nearly tempted by the tamiya kit a few days ago on e-bay . Ill be watching closely, it might just cause me to get one! Supern work so far on the scratch built engine , i love it when people create something out of nothing . Keep it up mate ,its going to look wicked , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The A10 is so ugly it's beautiful - Don't worry I know what I mean ! I don't think the A 10 can be beaten if you want an aircraft with loads of hardwear. I've haven't built one recently and look forward to seeing this one develop.

Regards

Colin M..........

D

dm73

Cheers Colin and Tony, my first attempt at anything jet engine powered, i'm going to go with this camo scheme, it was used in Canada as a winter scheme., This is the only photo i can find at the mo..

Thought it might be something a bit different from the light grey these are usually seen in.

Cheers

Darren

T

treyzx10r

Darren really like the scheme you've picked, looking forward to seeing it finished

D

dm73

Cheers Trey, if it comes out half as good as your projects i'll be a happy man

D

dm73

A bit of an update on this one, i've done a little more work to the engine and gave it a coat of vallejo grey primer, do you think it needs more detail in it, didn't want to over do it, looking at photos of the engine it is crammed to the eyeballs with pipes and wires.

View attachment 29780

I've put on the wings and started loading them up with the weapons pylons, a couple of them aren't used so would they have some sort of clamping device showing, the kit ones are just molded flat.

View attachment 29781

Built and undercoated the cockpit, the kit comes with decals for the instruments either side of the pilot, would you use these or try and scratch some detail in to panels?

I'm not putting the pilot in so i've got to make up some harness's from tin foil.

View attachment 29782

Sorry for all the questions but i want to get it as right as i can

Cheers

Darren

View attachment 35004

View attachment 35005

View attachment 35006

DSCN0318.jpg

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0320.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Darren its looking great.As far as the engine detail goes you can go blind scratching plumbing and wires ,a little here and there can make a big difference without it becoming too cluttered. The office detail would really depend on if you're displaying it open or closed canopy,obviously with it open you'll see more detail so a good bit of scratching would be the order of the day.

D

dm73

Cheers Trey, may leave the engine as it is for now and see what it looks like with a bit of colour and weathering. Just been looking at pictures of the cockpit and there is a lot of buttons and i meam a lot..View attachment 29783,

what would be the best way to replicate this, i think i'm sticking with armour after this, too many wires and buttons for my taste.

Thanks

View attachment 35007

A10A cockpit.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Darren ,myself I would buy an aftermarket cockpit . There should be some available for a popular subject such as this.

D

dm73

Sounds like a better idea to me Trey, i'll start looking tonight when i get home, any aftermarket companys that i should look out for or are they all much the same??

Cheers

P

Plastickitbasher

I found the following set it's for Hobby Boss, I'm sure if it can be converted to fit the Tamiya kit.

Go here

Hope it helps

Regards

David

D

dm73

Thanks David, have ordered the set, not bad for £8, will save me a load of hassle trying to detail something so small, just got to get it to fit when it arrives

D

dm73

Morning all, just a bit of an update on this one, seem to be dragging my heals on this bird, bought the hobby boss resin cockpit kit as mentioned earlier so the front end of the fuselage needed major surgery, was nervous as hell chopping major lumps out of it.

With a load of jiggery pokery i got the office in , because it was such a pain to put in i decided to paint it once it was fitted.

The engine was primed and ready for painting, i've included the original tamiya cockpit next to the resin ejector seat for comparison of detail, no contest.

Cheers for looking

View attachment 35755

View attachment 35756

View attachment 35757

View attachment 35758

DSCN0383.jpg

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

DSCN0387.jpg

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

It's great to see you deviate from the kit and make it your own. The cockpit set is a huge improvement over the original but painting it at this stage is going to be quite a challenge, especially dry brushing the instruments, but I'm sure it will still look a lot better than the kit parts. The engine will also be a significant improvement and, yet again, demonstrates the value of a bit of scratchbuilding.

D

dm73

Cheers Richard, i agree with you about the painting, its going to be a pain but i didn't want to risk damaging the finished article trying to wedge it in and filling once it had been painted. Enjoyed scratching the engine but now i've got to replicate the hinges that let the cowlings open, not looking forward to that.

B

Bunkerbarge

Try old single core telephone cable. I use it a lot for detailing as, being single core it is very easily bent into position and it will stay there. If you cut some short sections of it and stick it to the edge of the cover with cyano you might find it looks effective as a raised hinge.

D

dm73

Cheers Richard, got a couple rolls of that in the van, i can see a bit disappearing into the shed in the near future

D

dm73

Thanks Trey, wish i had more time to spend at the bench and get it finished, once i've finished the extension on the house i should have loads of modelling time.