Tamiya 1/48 A6M5c Zero (zeke), first foray under construction.

D

Danny

First build in the "Under Construction" forum and first time using the Air Brush. Parts are very clean, Instructions offer all thats needed.

Wish me luck with the AB and hope I dont present an all green finished build.. :smiling3: ...... Danny

View attachment 57708

View attachment 59627

zero pic 1 (Small).JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good luck Danny, look forward to the progress reports.

First Name
Michael
Looking nice Danny.

You'll soon get the hang of the airbrush I'm sure, I'll watch this, it's such a cool aircraft. M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice begining Danny, the office is smart, and the pilot looks well done.

I'll be following with interest.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Good start, really like the pilot - very nice goggles.

D

Danny

Progress slow, as Ive been busy with shoots today... Weathered office, removed left Gun stock, decals applied and pilot finished 9Apart from the mark on his nose !..

On dry fitting the wings to the fuselage it couldnt be any sweeter, no filler needed, so a quick wash of the green to the office walls and then stuck together.

Wings and fus to go together and the primer added tomorrow. Then engine worked on while I wait for it to dry. Im going to use the pro cameras for the pics as the point and shoot is doing the build no justice.. cant wait to get spraying, the only reason for this first build using the Air brush..

View attachment 57801View attachment 57802View attachment 57803View attachment 57804..

View attachment 59704

View attachment 59705

View attachment 59706

View attachment 59707

IMG_4383 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4389 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4394 (Medium).JPG

IMG_4395 (Medium).JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good danny , nice pre shading , cheers tony

D

Danny

He looks quite suicidal...well that was a speciality at the end of the war...

First Name
Michael
Looking great Danny, what paint are you shooting through your airbrush? How are you getting on with it? M

D

Danny

Hi Michael...Using valejo...Its been a day of learning, but i guess everyone went through that it the start..took me 3 hours practice to get thin lines and I had to hide my brushes. Getting there though and you were right it will take time and practice. Biggest problem is thinning the paints to a consistency for the job thats needed. I was iether getting no through-flow or spattering....have to say Im enjoying it though. wasnt intending priming it but the styrene was dark green and couldnt see the panel lines etc, so had to..

Danny

Last edited:
First Name
Michael
Yeah Danny you're right, there's a pretty steep learning curve with the airbrush but you'll learn fast and like you say it's good fun.

I don't use valejo but have heard very good things about them. What pressure are you spraying at? Enjoying your build, cheers M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking good Danny, nice spray work.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Biggest problem is thinning the paints to a consistency for the job thats needed. I was iether getting no through-flow or spattering....have to say Im enjoying it though. Danny
Hi Danny,you are not alone. Getting the balance of thinning and pressure is really like the quest for the grail!

If your paint is spattering you have two choices,up the pressure or thin the paint. I use mostly enamels which will take quite a bit of thinning and I spray at something between 16 and 20 psi. On ocassion I will up my pressure to about 30 psi. I spray fairly fine Luftwaffe camouflage demarcations freehand and often find that I need to crank up the pressure to get a nice clean line.

Don't be afraid to have a good play and don't worry about upping the pressure,you just have to find what works for you.

One of SWMBO's friends uses airbrushes in a professional capacity as an artist (as well as making fantastic doll houses) and she is always amazed at what low pressures we tend to use. I tried to explain that spraying at 35+ psi would simply distribute parts of unbuilt models all over my work space but she didn't seem to understand :smiling3:

Good luck,you will crack it.

Cheers

Steve

D

Danny

Spraying between 15-20 psi on the zero, although, untill I get a feel for the paint thickness I guess i will be all over the place. I liken it to knowing what thickness paint a quality sign-writing brush needs to flow at even coat and for how long. I sprayed an indoor water feature thats a bit faded at 30psi and that was fun. Im getting the thin coats right, but working on knowing what thickness line i can get with specific thin downs of the paint and pressure.... Big problem is Im an impatient perfectionist..bad combination Michael.

Danny