Tamiya 1/48 challenger 2

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The paints arrived for this so did a couple of test blobs. Mr color deck tan & sandy yellow, real colours rc040 light stone.

2023-07-08 15.14.15.jpg

I ended up plumping for the real colours. It's come out a bit yellow in the pictures but I'm happy with it IRL.

2023-07-08 17.04.55.jpg

2023-07-08 17.05.04.jpg

2023-07-08 17.05.59.jpg

This is the first time I've used the real colours and I'm impressed. It reduced nicely with my usual mr color leveling thinner and sprayed very well. Definitely a range I'll use again if I need a colour I can't get in my normal line.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks mate. I'll let it sit overnight then crack on with some of the details.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well that's come on quickly and looking very good already!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andrew.

3 builds on the go is definitely a record for me. I'm enjoying this one so much that the diorama is falling behind though :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanks again everyone.

There's a lot less parts to throw together on this version Doug. :smiling5:
Restarted mine today after a wait for new glasses. After some 16 minuscule handles, PE windscreen wipers about 3mm long and less than a mil wide on the drivers viewing port it tested my new specs no end.
Your making good progress I see. :thumb2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After finishing the Ki-61 I've jumped back onto this. A pin wash and a bit of detail painting has been done, the decals were added, then it's been given a coat of satin varnish. Running gear & tracks are now glued in place but the upper hull & side skirts are still dry fitted.

2023-07-13 20.41.47.jpg

2023-07-13 20.41.21.jpg

2023-07-13 20.42.00.jpg

A note to anyone that builds this in the future - I was having a hell of a job getting the turret to go on but simply scraping the paint from the mounting ring had it fitting perfectly again. Shows how tight the tolerances are!

2023-07-13 20.46.57.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I was going to ask for a seat, but seeing how quickly your done this I'll just stand . Very nice indeed mate .

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After finishing the Ki-61 I've jumped back onto this. A pin wash and a bit of detail painting has been done, the decals were added, then it's been given a coat of satin varnish. Running gear & tracks are now glued in place but the upper hull & side skirts are still dry fitted.

View attachment 486321

View attachment 486322

View attachment 486323

A note to anyone that builds this in the future - I was having a hell of a job getting the turret to go on but simply scraping the paint from the mounting ring had it fitting perfectly again. Shows how tight the tolerances are!

View attachment 486324
Some going Andy. Nice work too. Mine is still WIP I'm afraid. SWIMBO has me running ragged this week. So no bench time at all!!
I had similar problem fitting the turret. I cured mine by filing the tag on the turret that slots into the hull cut outs. Probably only a thou or two but it makes a difference!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thank you all.

There's still a bit more work to do John so make yourself comfy. A camo uniform on the 1/48 figure will be a new one for me.

Work is very quiet at the moment Doug so I'm lucky to get plenty of time at the bench.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is looking very nice. I was having some doubts about how light you made the IFF panels, but they do seem to have been almost offwhite on British vehicles.

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Andy, I thought maybe you had retired!!! With so many builds going on at one time, I can't keep up with you Sir...I love the paint finish on this and the clean and tidy work all around. I gotta go find your wing thingy now and give you a hard time. LOL!!!

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Jakko.

The instructions would have you paint them in X-2, even brighter!

In the end I used some AK Off White toned down a bit further with their Iraqi Sand.

Ha, you aren't far off the truth there Allen! We're winding down the business as the other partner wants to spend more time with his family and new baby.

I'm trying to add up if I can manage early retirement but keep running out of fingers & toes. :smiling5:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've weighted several models so they would set into the gardening better & noticed they didn't get knocked around the bench while being worked on. An unexpected plus.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The instructions would have you paint them in X-2, even brighter!

In the end I used some AK Off White toned down a bit further with their Iraqi Sand.
Looking at photos, plain white would be too much, I agree. They already draw attention immediately as it is — maybe that’s why the British vehicles had them in almost-white? Bit odd, of course, but hey …

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your paint work is as expected just perfection Andy .Love the figure as well , very good skin colours