Tamiya 1:48 Douglas Skyraider A-1J

S

Scuff

I am back into the man cave following a brief break from my building.

I remember building a large scale Skyraider with my father when I was very young, so I am looking forward to having a go at this Tamiya kit.

I have started with the cockpit and decided that for the first time that I would include a pilot. So the challenge of painting a small figure was taken on. I think its OK. the images are greatly magnified and the original size looks quite realistic and pleasing.

A white wash was given to the black instruments and knobs to give them relief. A few dabs of red and white helped to liven it up. The light grey interior was just Vallejo grey primer mixed with Home brew thinners and some acrylic floor gloss. The home brew thinners has properties that give a very smooth finish to the paint. The primer mix allows sanding much more quickly than the un-modified mix, which tends to peel if not left for 24hrs to dry.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
That's a very neat build of the 'pit, the sky jockey looks the part too...

Lee :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Very good office! Great pictures too.

Cheers

Patrick

S

Scuff

My first go at using Vallejo polyurethane grey primer mixed as follows.

50% primer

25% homebrew thinners

25% acrylic floor polish.

After thoroughly cleaning the model, a light dusting of this mix was applied. this was followed with successive light coats of primer until sufficient coverage was acheived.

I put it in my drier for 20 mins at 80 degrees and was able to do do more sanding and tidying up. There was no peeling and no waiting 24hrs!

Here is my drying box.

The engine was airbrshed in dark iron and the highlights buffed to give a nice 3d effect.

The underside with the white wheel wells masked off, as they were sprayed earlier.

I think this primer mix gives a brilliant smooth ang grippy surface for later painting.

Just playing about - it wouldn't really fly like this :smiling:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
I think your right there Graham. Coming along there nicely. Interesting drier how does it work?

S

Scuff

\ said:
I think your right there Graham. Coming along there nicely. Interesting drier how does it work?
I have a fan heater blowing through a scouring pad which is used as a filter. Holes the other end let the hot air flow through. Shown with the lid off.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Graham,

The Skyraider is looking top dollar mate, I do like this war bird.

Your drier, could we see the full lay out of this, maybe in another thread, I, like Vaughan and possibly others are curious to how this looks and works, what equipment have you got, the expense etc etc, thanks Graham

Lee :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Why do you mix Acrylic floor polish with the primer Graham?.Is it to reduce the drying time?.

S

Scuff

\ said:
Why do you mix Acrylic floor polish with the primer Graham?.Is it to reduce the drying time?.
Hi Dave

This allows the primer to be sanded within 30 mins if dried with the drier pictured. Even without the drier, curing time is much reduced so the 24hr wait is no more.

S

Scuff

As requested, here are the details of the drier. It has been assembled using instructions from Bobby Waldron on Genesis Models.

The box assembled ready for use. Temperature can be varied using the dial on the fan heater, or by moving it further away.

The box is one of those plastic containers found in piles in the pound shops. It is a little brittle to work with, so care is needed when cutting and drilling.

An aperture slightly smaller than the size of a pan scourer is cut into the box. The scourer is held in place with duct tape and alu cooking foil is place on the outside face of the plastic box to keep it cool. The scourer is a good dust filter and can be replace for a few pennies if needed.

A few holes are drilled in the back of the box to allow the warm air to flow through the box.

This is where the hot air enters the box. As you can see, I have made every effort to make the build look pretty - NOT! :smiling:

No foil at the back of the box. A cheap thermometer gives an idea as to whether you model is about to melt or not.

All of the rest of the box is lined with cooking foil to bounce the heat around inside the box.

I already had the fan heater so it cost me less than £5 UKP to build this.

It really works, and lets you dry paint, fillers, and glues much more quickly.

S

Scuff

The next stage completed, pre-shading....

My patented sander/rescriber/riveter checks that I havent missed anything :smiling3:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Graham. Think I might have to invest in said parts
clear.png

As for the patented sander/rescriber/riveter, i'm gonna pass thanks, I can't see it catching on personally
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

The A1 is looking the bees
clear.png
;)

Lee
clear.png
clear.png

D

dubster72

Awww so sweet! Although my moggy would have thought it to be food & licked half the paint off!

A

Andy Mac

The Skyraider's looking good so far, and the "drier box" is a top idea.