Tamiya 1/48 Lanc

B

bikerbart

Fantastic subject Snapper, a beautiful iconic aircraft. Some awsome detailing going on buddy, love the pin ups, the maps, seat belts etc. This is ganna be huge aint it at 1/48th scale? I will enjoy watching this build, regards Martin :smiling:

B

backonthecase

Snapper this looks very very nice - the interior is very detailed and you have done a wonderful job on it. I've never had an interest in Lancs til now...

Stuart

S

snapper41

Martin - yep, rather large. In fact, I'm not sure it'll fit inside the spray booth...may have to think about that one!

B

bikerbart

One day I WILL make an aircraft kit....you heard it here first lol :smiling: Does the Tamiya kit come well equipped with extras? I notice you said you have the Eduard extras i take it that was a mixture of PE and resin? Ive been looking at the Eduard kits in 1/48 they seem very nice, one of these could well turn out to be my first serious attempt at a plane, rather fancy a 109 :smiling:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
BB... the older Tamiya kits don't come with the extra parts but the new updated versions do and the bits are;

Larger bomb aimer's blister.

Needle-blade propellors.

Smooth, bulged tyres.

Unshrouded exhausts.

Later type twin 0.5" rear gun turret

S

snapper41

BB - no Tamiya extras on this; it's a 30-year old kit that's been tidied up a bit. So, for all the extra detailing, Eduard bits are the way to go - I've also got Quickboost resin .303 barrels as the Tamiya ones are awful. This will be my first attempt at painting on the markings, rather than using decals - Montex Masks have arrived!

And the CBX was waaaayyyyyy cooler than the Z1300!!!:poster_offtopic:

Last edited:
S

snapper41

Well, as I suspected, this beast is too large to fit into my spraybooth whole, so I'm doing it in sections. Wings first, then fuselage - I did random spots & streaks of lightened base colour which you can just make out in the pic. Next, my first attempt at masking with blutack:

View attachment 19297

I'll paint Maskol on the brown parts I want to keep. Then, it'll be time for my virgin attempt with Montex Masks!!!

View attachment 26670

lanc_wg.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

What an amazing kit and great to see it put together in so much detail. Many thanks for taking the time to share this with us it really is interesting.

I remember the days, just, when I thought the Airfix Lancaster was a huge kit! Things have moved on.

F

Fenlander

Very nice but how many bottles of Maskol did that take??????? Looking very nice.

M

m1ks

\ said:
And the CBX was waaaayyyyyy cooler than the Z1300!!!:poster_offtopic:
The fact remains, they were both big ugly heavy and unwieldy brutes, hence the reason no-ones ever seriously considered an inline six since, (until the very recent concept by BMW which in all fairness they have much more experience of building and theres, thanks to current engineering is only fractionally wider than a jap four) and saying that i'm a Kawasaki fan.

Back on topic, that's a lovely looking Lanc and I really like the posters

A

AVB99

Fabulous work - so envious of your skills (and the skills of others in here) - it's what I aspire to!

Aidan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cripes you're going at a fair lick! Looking very nice and a good job on the underside colour,always tricky doing "black". Are you going to fix the wings? I remember someone (maybe Ian Lanc) saying they fit so well on this kit that you could leave them removable.

Cheers

Steve