Tamiya 1/72 Bf109 G-6

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Simple 1 sprue kit that fit together perfectly. I managed to break a few parts off when doing a wash but happy with the outcome.

Main colours airbrushed freehand in MRP, which I have to say is outstanding paint once you've gotten used to how water-thin it is. For a first attempt at mottled camo I'm chuffed. Yellow area under the nose was masked and mixed up in Mr Color as close to the decal as possible.

"Eye" decals caused an issue and subsequently aren't perfect, I should really have painted the yellow surround while I'd got the paint. The others turned out well though, no doubt helped by triming off the clear carrier film wherever possible.

t3gRPi3.jpg

pNsCbUY.jpg

Kj04wzv.jpg

loy7h77.jpg

nAzwk8v.jpg

pQhW57E.jpg

PUCRfqW.jpg

LfKK58v.jpg

H4UoS4G.jpg

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Cracking finish! Nice subtle weathering!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very good Andy, at first I thought it must be 1/48.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jack & Pete.

It's a lovely little kit that I'd highly recommend to anyone that fancies a Braille scale build. Cockpit was nicely detailed too.

It also survived a crash landing part way through the build. For the first time ever Zoe dared to pick one of my models up for a closer look. She promptly dropped it straight onto the kitchen floor breaking off part of the tailplane! I don't think she'll ever bear to touch one again poor lass :smiling5:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Jack & Pete.

It's a lovely little kit that I'd highly recommend to anyone that fancies a Braille scale build. Cockpit was nicely detailed too.

It also survived a crash landing part way through the build. For the first time ever Zoe dared to pick one of my models up for a closer look. She promptly dropped it straight onto the kitchen floor breaking off part of the tailplane! I don't think she'll ever bear to touch one again poor lass :smiling5:

At least it was a smaller, simpler one to put her out of the habit!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely build andy , what matt did you use it looks nice and flat ? Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul and Tony.

I used my usual W&N Galeria matt (from The Range). Two misty coats straight from the bottle through a 0.2mm nozzle. I had to warm it up a bit as it was <10 degrees in the shed but seems to work best neat.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

That really is looking very, very good indeed. A top finish all round. Very well done.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew, I really enjoy these quicker, less complicated kits. Allows me to concentrate on the painty bits.

I have the tamiya harrier coming up next though. From what I've read it's a dog of a kit (by tamiya standards), so might not be quite such plain sailing.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy a successful build and paint job.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Paul and Tony.

I used my usual W&N Galeria matt (from The Range). Two misty coats straight from the bottle through a 0.2mm nozzle. I had to warm it up a bit as it was <10 degrees in the shed but seems to work best neat.
Cheers Andy , I’ve used Galeria Matt quite a bit , sometimes it’s fantastic but other times it can take days to fully cure and I impatiently get finger marks from handling too soon ! Ive found that, like you ,it’s best misted on in thin coats, unthinned . I don’t think it would spray well at a low pressure in unthinned form , I usually have my pressure at about 30-35 psi ( I can hear the H+S and Iwata users outrage already!) so have to be careful I don’t blow smaller models away!:smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Si.

I can't say I've had a problem with it drying Tony, after a quick blast with the hair dryer I was fitting the prop and fumbling about with it trying to fit the EZ line (which would stick to anything except the tail fin!) After 4 different types of CA I gave up.

And yes, I crank the pressure up too.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Interesting - I spray Galeria unthinned through a 0,2mm nozzle at around 12 - 15 psi. I haven't had any problems with it curing or fingermarking.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steven & Jim.

I'm never quite sure what pressure I'm spraying at Pete as I can't read the gauge too well from my seat. I tend to just play around until I'm happy.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Andy, and another MRP convert ? If you liked this little Tamiya, not too long ago I built their 1:72 FW190, which was a brilliant little model as well.